Gus on 7 News - 8-9 signings in coming weeks

ShepardDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah instead of doing a tough carry he makes a break or scores a try
Once or twice a year maybe 3 but a winger that takes tough carry’s and makes good yardage is far more valuable imo look at To’o for panthers he is such a valuable asset and vital to their team because of his yardage.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh no, not another one!

We don't need 2nd rowers we have plenty.
We don't need locks we have plenty.
We don't need hookers we have plenty.

We do need a prop, maybe 2, but we don't need 2nd rowers, hookers or locks.

Always a Bulldog
Just wondering who our ‘plenty’ of second rowers are? After Kik’s and Preston it’s pretty thin IMO

GoTeamRaRaFunky

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Once or twice a year maybe 3 but a winger that takes tough carry’s and makes good yardage is far more valuable imo look at To’o for panthers he is such a valuable asset and vital to their team because of his yardage.
If JAC was at the panthers for the last 3 years he'd be their number 1 winger

Geoff Chambers

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If Ciro doesnt prove he is coach worthy by mid next year Ill be seeking a lobotomy so rule me out.
Yes indeed, the majority are in full support of him but I'm very much the opposite.
If he thinks exaggerated use of predictable mid field bombs is eventually going to turn the tide I hope he can be medically retired or something of that nature.

scottywilson

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Interesting, but can we sign some forwards please!!! Wonder what this means for Joash Papalii? Guess that this guy will still be able to play Flegg? I like Joash he has a tone of skill, but I fear he went a bit too hard down the Alamotti route and has really bulked up. I am a bit worried that has cost him the pace needed to make it in the NRL.
Joash will be in NSW CUP, Wavik will be in Flegg perhaps as a centre.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yes indeed, the majority are in full support of him but I'm very much the opposite.
If he thinks exaggerated use of predictable mid field bombs is eventually going to turn the tide I hope he can be medically retired or something of that nature.
Injuries really put a dent in 2023, highly doubt we will experience the same 2024.
There where things 2023 I wasnt happy about but the season is over now so....
Should be no distractions and all business ready to go round 1. There is no reason not to show significant improvement next year.

dogon

Kennel Established
Reaction score
About this time last year Gus was working feverishly behind the scenes releasing Joshua Cook, Aaron Schoupp, Ava Seumanufagai & Corey Allan from their 2023 top30 contracts, who will it be this year?

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
At the end of the day, points on the board win you the games, not the team with the most yardage. If he’s not making metres but still scoring the tries what’s the issue?

ShepardDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
At the end of the day, points on the board win you the games, not the team with the most yardage. If he’s not making metres but still scoring the tries what’s the issue?
Part of winning games is winning the battle early and getting your team on the front foot some proof in our team, remember when Kiraz wasn’t injured he was making 200 running metres a game and we had good starts to sets and weren’t getting dominated and than he had to play injured and than the rest was history.

ShepardDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guess you win games by giving the ball to fox and he’ll just run around everyone and score a hat trick every game. more to the modern game than speed

stevesonthebay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Doubt it includes Curran as that all happened very quickly

It’ll be
Turpin
Hutch
Pooasa
SST
Wilson (announced last week)
Saifiti
+ kids getting a shot in the 30
If there is a surprise, it’s most likely coming from England as Gus would think nothing of paying a transfer fee and he could be waiting until after the test series finishes.
Someone like Matty Lees
I assume you also include Mann. I am not sure Wilson would be a new signing as we signed him last year so that may be a resigning. I hope we get Saifiti but didn't Daniel say he would take a pay cut to keep his brother at the Knights. Sounds like their pretty keen to stay at Knights.

Scoobs

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Peeps underestimate the effect of bulking up. Alamoti was like Rod Silva in the juniors but once he hit the KFC he became useless. Why is he useless? Adding weight means you lose speed and footwork. It’s really a simple reason. What made you scouted and rated is no longer there.
You need to be an Inglis where you can hold speed with a bit of muscle. Even Inglis veered too heavy in his late days.
Alamoti is genuinely now Ron Massey level.
Can you guys imagine if Blake Wilson put on 20 kilos?
U make it sound like it happens by chance. The trainers actively try to put weight on these guys

stevesonthebay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Dogs signed Ragarive Wavik from Cowboys.

QLD U19 Fullback.

Thats interesting. Looks like another development player and a good one at that. I like how we are getting young players and thinking ahead.