Gus Gould, Cameron Ciraldo and Canterbury Bulldogs coaching conspiracy theories

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Who’s a better fullback Taafe or Averillo?
Averillo, also we have Crichton, Tracey, Wilson and Papalii at the club currently who are all better options than Taaffe.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How did we miss out on Hunt when he was never off contract? It’s not like he was released to another club
Technically we missed on all these halves, here is why
Hunt wanted out, the only thing that stopped him was his loyalty to Hook not the Steelers,
SJ agreed to sign, went to NZ to do so with his manager, the owner of Warriors got involved,
Moses & Luai both wanted to sign until each one of them was offered of $1.4 m each,

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Technically we missed on all these halves, here is why
Hunt wanted out, the only thing that stopped him was his loyalty to Hook not the Steelers,
SJ agreed to sign, went to NZ to do so with his manager, the owner of Warriors got involved,
Moses & Luai both wanted to sign until each one of them was offered of $1.4 m each,
Luai reportedly signed with Tiger for 1.2m, if we matched that I think Luai would of rather played here. That's 1 e.g. of an elite quality half that was signable.

Harry Oz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It’s all bullshit. The team is the most stable and improving team we’ve seen since hasler left. Defence a lot better this year, showing grit. They are journos they stir shit
Gus is the one who keeps saying the rebuild will take time.
It is obvious team selections are driven by what is best for the long term objectives of the rebuild.
Like establishing solid defensive patterns and stability in the playing group.
Rather then experimenting with playmakers, blooding young guys or promoting reserve graders simply because they had a good game and someone in first grade missed a tackle.
I can't see any selections Ciraldo has made that don't seem to have some sound reasoning behind them. Even Salmon.
I'd be very surprised if Gus would be undermining team selections given he has said time and time again it is a rebuild, we need patience and there is a lot of other more important things to fix behind the scenes.
It would simply not be his priority at the moment.
Team selections are great for fans to discuss, but that is only because we don't see all the other more important work that is going on.
And we have nothing better to do with our lives.
The story is clearly a beat up. In fact it pretty much admits that.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
It is obvious team selections are driven by what is best for the long term objectives of the rebuild.
Yep that's key and most likely one of the reasons we're not blooding in juniors.

The fact of the matter is, this game is won with forwards, WE DO NOT HAVE THEM.

Blooding in any juniors when we generally won't have field position is likely to kill the development of that player.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
On NRL 360 he pretty much said that the dogs are on the improve but there are a few whispers around about Gus disagreeing with team selections.

Said that it’s a story because of Goulds profile.

It’s all nauseating to be honest. We lack middles and a good halfback. Some journos and a fair few supporters seem to think Gus doesn’t realise this.

Kent actually defended us tonight for not signing Moses. He wanted $1.4 million.
Gus disagrees with team selections? Yeah and the sky is blue and water is wet. They’ve been publishing those claims for at least a decade.

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Luai reportedly signed with Tiger for 1.2m, if we matched that I think Luai would of rather played here. That's 1 e.g. of an elite quality half that was signable.
Luai chose Benji over Gus and at Wests they had a better 1 and 9 at the time of his decision. Luai also the main man with us there's question marks about is it him or Burton. Now they have Galvin they've stumbled into a settled long term spine of Bula, Galvin, Luai and Api.

Allan139

Waterboy
Reaction score
None of us are at training each day, but I'm pretty confident I could have picked a team from our squad that would beat our match day squad in every game this year and last... ciraldos team selections do seem very very off
Played SuperCoach one year and won his comp, thinks he’s a first grade coach. Stick to you day job, if you were capable you’d be coaching the team but you’re not, you’re here on a forum just like me.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Luai chose Benji over Gus and at Wests they had a better 1 and 9 at the time of his decision. Luai also the main man with us there's question marks about is it him or Burton. Now they have Galvin they've stumbled into a settled long term spine of Bula, Galvin, Luai and Api.
We were more attractive than Tiger going into the year. Tiger a team less attractive than us was able to assemble a spine of Bula, Galvin, Luai and Koroisau... that's a massive problem. We have 2 of the worst spine players in the competition (and no middles!).

Burton is close to being a candidate to moving on (I'm sure some people are already there). Luai would of been the main man here because Burton doesn't have it in him. He plays half more like a centre than a five-eighth (I'm not even going to mention halfback, that's another world away).

Last edited:

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are stuck now, we have no $$ for a big half if they do become available. Our hope now is long term one of Woods, O’Neil, Conte or even Oloapu (who is a 6 or 13) turn into the next big thing!

The problem is the “right now”. Do we try Taaffe there? It’s probably a bit late now if he didn’t train there in the off season. I could be wrong but he was the Australian 7 playing alongside Burton as Australian 6 in juniors, don’t quote me though. Maybe Sexton? Not that he is THE answer either… unfortunately Hutch just can’t seal the big moments and he’s more of a momentum killer than anything.

As for fullback, I think it’s time to give Tracey a crack. Papali’i is obviously the future, and if he were at a club like the Tigers he’d be getting a crack now. Taaffe for mine just gets bullied there.

I do think in a matter of a couple of months if things aren’t improving in attack we may see Crighton get his shot. He’s our X-factor, and 800k is a lot for a guy who isnt seeing any decent ball. Again though, he may not be as good a fullback as he is centre.

just my take

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
We are stuck now, we have no $$ for a big half if they do become available. Our hope now is long term one of Woods, O’Neil, Conte or even Oloapu (who is a 6 or 13) turn into the next big thing!

The problem is the “right now”. Do we try Taaffe there? It’s probably a bit late now if he didn’t train there in the off season. I could be wrong but he was the Australian 7 playing alongside Burton as Australian 6 in juniors, don’t quote me though. Maybe Sexton? Not that he is THE answer either… unfortunately Hutch just can’t seal the big moments and he’s more of a momentum killer than anything.

As for fullback, I think it’s time to give Tracey a crack. Papali’i is obviously the future, and if he were at a club like the Tigers he’d be getting a crack now. Taaffe for mine just gets bullied there.

I do think in a matter of a couple of months if things aren’t improving in attack we may see Crighton get his shot. He’s our X-factor, and 800k is a lot for a guy who isnt seeing any decent ball. Again though, he may not be as good a fullback as he is centre.

just my take
We've just wasted more time.

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I personally dont think Gis is meddling with the selections. They may have a chat over a coffee where Gus would give his opinion, but why wouldn’t you ask Gus if he’s there to be asked? As for telling CC he “has” to pick a certain way? No, not buying it.

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Played SuperCoach one year and won his comp, thinks he’s a first grade coach. Stick to you day job, if you were capable you’d be coaching the team but you’re not, you’re here on a forum just like me.
My day job is putting up with dickheads like you. So I guess I am.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I wish it was only $1.2m only !