Not open for further replies.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Source: Official NRL website
Author: Michael Chammas
Date: 23rd October 2017

As David Klemmer prepares to face off against his mentor on Friday night, the Kangaroos prop has spoken about the disappointment of James Graham's departure from Canterbury.

Klemmer, who is expected to start in the front row for Australia in the World Cup opener in Melbourne on Friday night, will go head to head with Graham when the Kangaroos square off with England at AAMI Park.

But the pain of the Canterbury club captain being squeezed out of Belmore is still raw for Klemmer, who admits he is in disbelief Graham had been forced out to St George Illawarra.

"It was pretty hard. I never would have thought that him, being our¬¬ captain, the club would try and move him on – that was pretty confusing," Klemmer told NRL.com.

"And how the club worked its salary cap, that was pretty head scratching to see how things panned out. It was very frustrating because you don't often see a captain moved on."

There was a bittersweet tinge to the drama for Klemmer. There isn't a Canterbury player happier than Klemmer about Aaron Woods' acquisition, however it was the signing of Woods that sealed Graham's fate.

"I didn't know at the time when we signed Woodsy that Bupa (Graham) was going to leave," Klemmer said.

"I thought that all of us might have been playing together. It goes back to the club and the people running the club back then. They signed people and knew how the salary cap was working. It was pretty disappointing, to be honest.

"When he told me after the last game that he was going, I told him 'thank you for everything you've done for me, I loved every minute of it'. He taught me to be myself. He told me don't try and be something that you're not. Never change for anyone and be true to yourself.

"He's just a good bloke. I'm so lucky to have played with him. He helped me coming into first grade. He nurtured me, he showed me the ropes and I loved playing with him as well because he was so passionate. He was always firing me up and helped me so much with my game."

Canterbury's decision to terminate Des Hasler's contract and the appointment of Dean Pay has created plenty of excitement at the club.

Klemmer, who has already been in contact with the new coach, believes the club's new look was needed for the team to have a fresh start.

"I'm like a kid starting high school. I can't wait," Klemmer said.

"I went in the other day and talking footy and I introduced Deano to my family. It's exciting. I can't wait. The club is going in a different direction, all these old-school players are coming back. Andrew Farrar has been appointed football manager and old players coming back.

"It's going to be a whole different vibe. The place needed a fresh start and [chairman] Ray Dib is doing an awesome job at the moment cleaning things up and getting things ready for us. It's something to look forward to."

There aren't too many fond memories Klemmer can recall from a nightmare 2017 season. His captain, coach and best friend, Josh Reynolds were squeezed out.

"As a person and as a footballer, last year tested your character," Klemmer said.

"Losing football games is not fun at all. You go up the shops and you have your own fans spraying you. No one was interested. Going to the games no one was there as well. That was hard. We weren't going out there to lose football games. We tried too hard sometimes.

"We didn't help Dessie the way we were performing. We can't dwell on it. It was pretty hard watching semi-final football and us not being there."

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Wait what?? First He's excited that Des has gone but then in the same breath hes disappointed that Des has gone.. !

And Graham telling him not to change for anyone lol.. Shouldve taken his own advice.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
** Waits for some to talk about Ennis, its inevitable.

Reactions: DT

Scorpio

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Wait what?? First He's excited that Des has gone but then in the same breath hes disappointed that Des has gone.. !

And Graham telling him not to change for anyone lol.. Shouldve taken his own advice.
Was thinking the exact same thing.......

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Meh. Would of had to many frontrowers on big coin, something had to give. Hopefully Klemmer and Woods make up our starting frontrow and we have someone more suited in 13 this season.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Meh. Would of had to many frontrowers on big coin, something had to give. Hopefully Klemmer and Woods make up our starting frontrow and we have someone more suited in 13 this season.
I think RFM is that guy moving forward.

Taulau, Fualalo, Tolman all lack the explosiveness required at lock.

Maybe (and I say maybe) Eastwood can regain some form there (I'm probably asking too much).

From memory Hasler moved Eastwood from lock to second row and kinda ruined him.

This season Eastwood win only 40% of games he played in. Last time that happened his next season we won 70% and he had near career best season.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Maybe (and I say maybe) Eastwood can regain some form there (I'm probably asking too much).

Talau is pretty explosive. RFM isn’t a great defender, poor technique and gets quite a few head knocks.

Reactions: DT

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

This season Eastwood win only 40% of games he played in. Last time that happened his next season we won 70% and he had near career best season.
I wouldn't be starting RFM at lock, doesn't have the workrate or defence to be there imo. Would be handy off the bench playing at lock but ideally i think the best of him will come on the edge. His combination of footwork, speed and strength make him one of the most athletic forwards in the game and he has a great offload and fend to go with it. He will be a massive attacking threat outwide.

I wouldn't say Tualalu or Fualalo lack explosiveness tbh. They're pretty fast for forwards and hit hard at contact. Would be perfect off the bench as part of the prop rotation for next season.

I think our best suited player at lock is easily Jackson. He's our best defender, massive motor, aggressive, smart, decent ball skills and physically just fits the role perfectly. Moving Jackson to lock will also open up our edges for both RFM and Martin who i think are both better edge runners than Jackson.

My ideal starting forward pack at this stage would be this, obviously trial/WC form could change my opinion..

8. Klemmer
9. Lichaa
10. Woods
11. Martin (gk)
12. RFM
13. Jackson (c)

That then leaves you with players like Fualalo, Tualau, Tolman, Elliott, fine, Ogden, To'omaga to fill out the remaining forward spots on the bench.

Last edited:

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
8. Woods
9. Lichaa
10. Klemmer
11. Elliot
12. RFM
13. Jackson

14. Brown
15. Tolman
16. Faualalo
17. Martin/tualalu

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
As sad as it is loosing the inspirational captain and local junior, it is a massive blow to the team.
We simply have to move on we can't cry over spilt milk
The culprits Des & Rea are gone :smiley:
For all the doubters
One thing for sure in this report Klemmer confirms...Dib is cleaning their mess !!!

GTOWN

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Source: Official NRL website

"It was pretty hard. I never would have thought that him, being our¬¬ captain, the club would try and move him on – that was pretty confusing," Klemmer told NRL.com.

"And how the club worked its salary cap, that was pretty head scratching to see how things panned out. It was very frustrating because you don't often see a captain moved on."

"
Price
Ennis
Graham
Pritchard

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
I wouldn't be starting RFM at lock, doesn't have the workrate or defence to be there imo. Would be handy off the bench playing at lock but ideally i think the best of him will come on the edge. His combination of footwork, speed and strength make him one of the most athletic forwards in the game and he has a great offload and fend to go with it. He will be a massive attacking threat outwide.

I wouldn't say Tualalu or Fualalo lack explosiveness tbh. They're pretty fast for forwards and hit hard at contact. Would be perfect off the bench as part of the prop rotation for next season.

I think our best suited player at lock is easily Jackson. He's our best defender, massive motor, aggressive, smart, decent ball skills and physically just fits the role perfectly. Moving Jackson to lock will also open up our edges for both RFM and Martin who i think are both better edge runners than Jackson.

My ideal starting forward pack at this stage would be this, obviously trial/WC form could change my opinion..

8. Klemmer
9. Lichaa
10. Woods
11. Martin (gk)
12. RFM
13. Jackson (c)

That then leaves you with players like Fualalo, Tualau, Tolman, Elliott, fine, Ogden, To'omaga to fill out the remaining forward spots on the bench.
Agree with everything here.

I dont get the fascination with having another prop at lock. Leaves teams vulnerable to quick players in the middle and often the props that are played there are bereft of a football brain or the skills to shift the ball when it is needed. Also it is another big body that needs substituting.

As hard as Elliot tries and/or trains he has too many brain farts and lacks impact and smarts.

The only thing that has me worried about changes in the 2nd row is the decision making in defence. Jackson is probably second to none in that department.

Mbye has proved in 2017 that he needs someone to clean up his misreads so I would like to see Jmoz partner him on the right side if Fiz is on the left

WestBeast

Peyow Peyow
Reaction score

Taulua can motor when given the chance you will see , has more upside to his game than the other two

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
As sad as it is loosing the inspirational captain and local junior, it is a massive blow to the team.
We simply have to move on we can't cry over spilt milk
The culprits Des & Rea are gone :smiley:
For all the doubters
One thing for sure in this report Klemmer confirms...Dib is cleaning their mess !!!
That's just it. I said long ago that Castle was as much to blame for the mess, and it would be you've of many reasons she got asked to resign. I got shot down by many for it. It now seems that Dib is the one cleaning up the mistakes of others. He only got involved when it was clear how far out of her depth Castle really was.

Status
Not open for further replies.