Gay marriage plebiscite - Result YES to SSM

Should the law be changed to allow same-sex couples to marry?

• Yes

• No

• Not Voting

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The sanctity of marriage:

Lawyer offers to help distraught No voting couple to divorce
NICK and Sarah Jensen promised to divorce if Australia voted Yes to same-sex marriage. Well, that just happened.

Benedict Brook
@BenedictBrook

news.com.auNOVEMBER 17, 20178:00AM

The Jensen’s made a nationwide stir when, in 2015, they pledged to dissolve their marriage, despite being very much in love, if gay couples were also allowed to wed.

“My wife and I just celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary but later this year we may be getting a divorce,” Mr Jensen wrote in Canberra City News.

View image on Twitter

“My wife and I, as a matter of conscience, refuse to recognise the government’s regulation of marriage if its definition includes the solemnisation of same sex couples.”

Despite his decision to divorce, Mr Jensen said it wouldn’t be the traditional break up.

“After our divorce, we’ll continue to live together, hopefully for another 50 years. And, God willing, we’ll have more children. We’ll also continue to refer to each other as ‘husband’ and ‘wife’ and consider ourselves married by the Church and before God.”

Now, with same-sex marriages possibly just weeks away, many are wondering if the Jensen’s are still determined to go de facto.

Mr Tiyce said he was only too happy to step into the breach in a complex case and assist the couple in their darkest hour. He noted “Jesus hated divorce, remember,” but wanted to help the deeply religious couple anyway.

“I see it as a call for help, hence my offer.

“My firm does quite a bit of pro bono work in family law each year in the gay, lesbian and trans community. I thought offering assistance to Nick and Sarah would be an excellent way of reaching out across communities with my family law expertise, because quite simply they are going to need it.”

Michael Tiyce, of Tiyce & Lawyers, said he is here to help.Source:Supplied

Given divorce is only acceptable under certain conditions, the Jensen’s decoupling is going to be a challenge, said Mr Tiyce.

“The Family Law Act [states] the only ground for divorce is that the marriage has broken down irretrievably. That means that there is no reasonable chance that the parties will resume their marital relationship.”

He also said a couple need to be separated for a continuous period of 12 months before filing for divorce.

“As I understand the position taken by Nick and Sarah, they intend to divorce, but still remain together and have more children. That makes things a bit tricky as they will be unable to establish the consortium vitae has ended.

“Continuing to present as husband and wife to the world would, in my opinion, make it impossible for them to establish that their relationship was at an end.

“This is a situation known as ‘wedlock’ which is mostly experienced currently by gay couples who married overseas but cannot always divorce upon separation in Australia because their marriage post 2004 is not recognised here.

Melbourne crowd celebrate the Yes result. Picture: Scott Barbour/Getty ImagesSource:Getty Images

“I understand that may be even more uncomfortable for Nick and Sarah hence my offer to help them out of the institution they support keeping closed to gays,” he said.

“The application may be doomed to failure but it is worth giving it a burl.”

In the wake of the gay marriage vote, the Jensen’s are keeping their powder dry on the future of their relationship.

Mr Jensen declined to tell news.com.au how, or indeed if, the divorce plans were progressing. But talking to the Mail Online earlier this week he said “we just need to see the legislation and if it all goes that way.”

“Then we know what situation we’re in and what we’re going to do.”

Following Mr Jensen’s public divorce announcement, 100,000 people signed up to attend a Facebook event called ‘Celebrating Nick and Sarah Jensen’s divorce’.

Following the City News article, Mr Jensen penned a piece for the Bible Society answering some of the questions he’d received over his odd divorce announcement.

To those who asked if divorce was a sin, Mr Jensen said the couple didn’t consider disbanding their “state marriage” a sin as they would still consider themselves wed “under God.”

He admitted he and his wife had not met the 12-month separation rule to apply for a divorces but said they meant an easier way to split was needed.

“This is a minor problem, however, if a simple ‘annulment’ option was available in any legislation for conscientious objectors such as ourselves. If this wasn’t available then perhaps a larger legal challenge could be made,” he said.

“Some have painted our act as simply a petty tantrum, a toddler’s reaction who doesn’t want to share and will simply take his toys home if he can’t win,” he said.

But Mr Jensen denied he was a sore loser on the issue of marriage.

“This decision is not due to any dislike of any people, same sex attracted or not, but simply around how we understand marriage as defined by God.”
I forgot all about that. I remember after they said it a Facebook event started with about 100,000 attendees called "Celebrating the divorce of Nick and Sarah"

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
It appears to me they are divorcing in the civil sense, but not before the Church. They want to remain married in front of God, but not the Government.

Respect+
To be granted a divorce you have to show that you are separated for 12 months and that you are unable to reconcile.

Considering their comments, good luck with that.

Yeah, respect my fucking arse. These fucktards are making a mockery of divorce, a serious life event that affects many people.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
To be granted a divorce you have to show that you are separated for 12 months and that you are unable to reconcile.

Considering their comments, good luck with that.

Yeah, respect my fucking arse. These fucktards are making a mockery of divorce, a serious life event that affects many people.
They're making a mockery of divorce? Wow... see what it feels like when the shoe is on the other foot, when all the people who voted yes are making a mockery out of MARRIAGE. Doesn't feel too good now, does it?

When it comes to this divorce though, do you really think the officer at the registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages is going to refer to, know about, or even give a shit about this article?? No. He's just going to go to work, do his job, go home, and then come to work again the next day.

To people like me, a marriage in the eyes of the Church is far more superior than any Government certified marriage.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
They're making a mockery of divorce? Wow... see what it feels like when the shoe is on the other foot, when all the people who voted yes are making a mockery out of MARRIAGE. Doesn't feel too good now, does it?

When it comes to this divorce though, do you really think the officer at the registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages is going to refer to, know about, or even give a shit about this article?? No. He's just going to go to work, do his job, go home, and then come to work again the next day.

To people like me, a marriage in the eyes of the Church is far more superior than any Government certified marriage.
LOL are you serious? the Yes vote is making a mockery out of marriage?

LOL

Take your meds and have a lie down mate

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

If that's the case, "people like you" shouldn't be getting legally married at all now going forward. After all, marriage is longer sacred, right? Of course, you will also overlook that religion hijacked the concept of marriage in the first place...

By the way, divorce is granted by a judge, in a Court. And yes, they will have to prove they have been separated for a year.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Typical.

Imagine if the shoe was on the other foot? The media coverage on that would be huge.

On that note - it has been painted over by some people. I have the video footage of it.. pretty funny stuff.
I don't know what secluded/sheltered life you've been living but the shoes been on the other foot for a long long time.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't know what secluded/sheltered life you've been living but the shoes been on the other foot for a long long time.
Answer the question though?

You know damn well if that was Penny Wong or any other lobbyist on the "yes" side, this would of got some much negative media coverage. Rather its pandered up on social media outlets for the world to see.

It was funny listening to the video. People trying to justify the need for it. You should watch it.

Wahesh

Reaction score
If that's the case, "people like you" shouldn't be getting legally married at all now going forward. After all, marriage is longer sacred, right? Of course, you will also overlook that religion hijacked the concept of marriage in the first place...

By the way, divorce is granted by a judge, in a Court. And yes, they will have to prove they have been separated for a year.
How did religion hijack marriage? Do you have proof? Where you around when marriage was created? I'm sure people were getting married in holy matrimony long before legally recognised marriages by Government were present. 2000 years ago - prime example. People were married in a temple or synagogue in front of celebrants. Lodging your registration for marriage wasn't around back then.

Secondly just because I support their decision doesn't mean I'm going to do the same thing champ!

Wahesh

Reaction score
LOL are you serious? the Yes vote is making a mockery out of marriage?

LOL

Take your meds and have a lie down mate
Oh right... you're on the victims side in all this... the definition of marriage that has been around for thousands of years is changing, yet it's not a mockery.

Talk about being sheltered LOL.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Answer the question though?

You know damn well if that was Penny Wong or any other lobbyist on the "yes" side, this would of got some much negative media coverage. Rather its pandered up on social media outlets for the world to see.

It was funny listening to the video. People trying to justify the need for it. You should watch it.
You're crying about one incident for how long as the lgbt community copped it? Do you care to remember?

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Oh right... you're on the victims side in all this... the definition of marriage that has been around for thousands of years is changing, yet it's not a mockery.

Talk about being sheltered LOL.
If I was married mate it'd be because I wanted to committ the rest of my life to one woman, and no one else's opinion would matter. No one else's definition of marriage would matter. Only mine and hers

Fully Sik Drop kick

Abra Kebabra
Reaction score
Typical.

Imagine if the shoe was on the other foot? The media coverage on that would be huge.

On that note - it has been painted over by some people. I have the video footage of it.. pretty funny stuff.
Yeah just watched it. Good on them for painting over that filth.. Typical of the scum from newtown..

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
100% would bang.
I assume you mean the younger chick.

But Juanita Philips, at 54, isn't too shabby either.

This is the first time I saw the footage. I had to laugh at the woman who gave the reason: "we don't find thus stuff in our countries".

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If I was married mate it'd be because I wanted to committ the rest of my life to one woman, and no one else's opinion would matter. No one else's definition of marriage would matter. Only mine and hers
Explains a lot :tearsofjoy:

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
You're crying about one incident for how long as the lgbt community copped it? Do you care to remember?
How long have Assyrians copped it? How long have Muslims copped it? How long has wogs copped it? Or the Jews? Or us Christians?

Every group cops it. But I have to agree, through your views in this thread, you would of lost it at usual about the evil no's painting that gay shit.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
The problem with sticking to your guns... (from the Betoota Advocate)....

David Pocock Begrudgingly Begins Googling Canberra Wedding Venues
CONTACT

The likeliness of same-sex marriage being legalised before the new year has resulted in a collective sigh from the nation’s straight men who had successfully avoided going through the motions of an official wedding ceremony due to their political beliefs.

However, with a 61.6% YES vote in the recent gay marriage postal survey, these men are soon to be without an excuse as marriage equality looks to become introduced in the next month.

One such man is Wallabies star David Pocock, who up until now had gotten away with a low-key civil union to his partner, Emma.

“Well, here we go” says Pocock, as he begins googling Canberra wedding venues.

Pocock and Emma famously pledged in 2011 not to get married until their gay friends could do the same and the 65-Test Wallaby said he hoped the ‘yes’ vote would get home comfortably when the result are announced.

“We’ve been waiting a while” he says.

“Not as long as some people, but yeah, we are gonna have to go big on this one. A lot of pressure coming from the folks on both sides”

It is believed that just half and hour after the official survey results were released by the Australian Bureau of Statistics, the Pococks had received upwards of thirty cold-calls from Canberra-based wedding planners and celebrants.

“Oh, here we go” says the Brumbies captain, as he begrudgingly begins googling non-coal-seam-gas-affiliated, pro-same-sex marriage Zimbabwean wedding caterers in the ACT-area.

“This is gonna cost a bomb”

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Still haven't answered :D
How long have Assyrians copped it? How long have Muslims copped it? How long has wogs copped it? Or the Jews? Or us Christians?

Every group cops it. But I have to agree, through your views in this thread, you would of lost it at usual about the evil no's painting that gay shit.
As clear as it can get for both of you:-

Abbott and Pell - attacked the LGBT community for being BORN THAT WAY

The LGBT - attacked Abbott and Pell for THEIR BIGOTED VIEWS ON OTHER PEOPLE

One you are BORN WITH AND HAVE NO CHOICE, the other is completely a choice, in how you choose to treat other people

Status
Not open for further replies.