Game 3 (If Necessary)

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
In almost all other competitions in the world, in a series where it is best of 3, 5, or 7 etc, every time if one team wins the series the last game or games aren't played because the other team can't win.

So why, in Origin and in a sport where NRL clubs provide Origin teams with players in a dead rubber, is the dead rubber eve played? Who cares? Who is even looking forward to this game?

How many players will have "injuries" and not make themselves available for this last Origin game but would have if the game was a decider? What NRL club would want one of their players to get injured in a dead rubber game?

Again, this game doesn't have to be held. Forget the fact that they have always done this. Think about the vast majority of people that don't care about this game when the series has been decided. Again, in almost every other sport and series, they don't play the games after the series has been decided so why do it here?

Who thinks they should keep it and who thinks it's stupid the way it is?

LebaneseBulldog

Bulldogs
Reaction score
they should keep it for tradition imo. although it means nothing i love rugby league during the week breaks the week up and something to look forward to

Paulina..

BrysonGoodwin♥
Reaction score
I couldn't care less about this game, because as you said, it is a dead rubber.

Would be absolutely shocking if some players get serious injuries because of this game.

But then again, I'm not tthe biggest Origin fan to begin with.. I say fark it off. Though QLD supporters will want it so they can brag of 3-0 I guess?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
they should keep it for tradition imo. although it means nothing i love rugby league during the week breaks the week up and something to look forward to
In all honesty, yes it is tradition, and that would be fine if the Origin tradition was atill alive.

But it isn't. In the past there was no such thing as a dead rubber because the pride of the losing team meant that they would come out all guns blazing, play as hard and tough as ever, start a million fights and smash everything in sight just to let everyone know that the losing teams state wasn't dead.

These days the losing team might have a bit of pride, but won't do anything to show it. They won't do any of the things that I listed above and for that reason why would I or anyone else watch or care?

S

Snake Jailbird

Its just about the money, if they didnt make so much coin from it it wouldn't proceed

Vagabond

flumshma
Reaction score
Might be something to do with Channel Nine's broadcasting rights.

It will be interesting to see them try and get ratings for a dead rubber.

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
but surely we have to adopt the best of 3 game series...i just dont any player getting a serious injury in a game that means **** all tbh

matt

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The revenue generated from state of origin games is massive,

-52,000 people packed into suncorp (paying decent coin to be there too)
-All the food, drinks, merchandise sold at the game
-Injection of money into the local economy (hotels, resturants etc)
-Employment.. security, ticketing staff, cooks, transport operators etc
-Sponsorship deals (companies pay alot of money even for a small advertisment on a stand at Suncorp)
-Television ratings, commercials etc

While yes it is a dead rubber, there is still alot of money generated from the game, both for rugby league and the economy, and that shouldnt underestimated.

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
The revenue generated from state of origin games is massive,

-52,000 people packed into suncorp (paying decent coin to be there too)
-All the food, drinks, merchandise sold at the game
-Injection of money into the local economy (hotels, resturants etc)
-Employment.. security, ticketing staff, cooks, transport operators etc
-Sponsorship deals (companies pay alot of money even for a small advertisment on a stand at Suncorp)
-Television ratings, commercials etc

While yes it is a dead rubber, there is still alot of money generated from the game, both for rugby league and the economy, and that shouldnt underestimated.
fair points made mate and i totally agree but at what cost does it come to the clubs???...we lost hannat for 4-6 weeks because of a knee injury and we know he is an important part of the doggies forward pack

matt

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yeah I have no argument with what your saying, Broncos have suffered just as heavily from origin as any other team. However, I think thats more of an issue of the timing of the series. If it is held post sept, then the series is more of a stand alone event, and players can play without worrying about injury.

Only drama with that idea is that the origin might clash with other sports (soccer comes to mind). Although im sure it could be timetabled to minimise this impact.

However, as it stands, I think the beneftis of the 'dead rubber' outweigh the negatives.

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
maybe so but at the same time i would wanna look out for he best interests of the clubs and more importantly the players

matt

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yeah thats true, however at the end of the day, without sponorship and money, the game doesnt survive. Not many other NRL games attract the amount of sponsorship, television exposure and crowd numbers that the 3rd origin will attract. Its a much needed financial boost.

Its a shame that NRL players get injuried as a conseqence of origin. However, for the reasons i said ealier, the game is just to important to simpily scrap.

bulldogs2010

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Origin is so over-rated imo.

It will never be exciting till NSW get that Origin spirit becuase atm, it's a deadset yawn-a-thon with the way NSW are going.

M

mofo sixx

well if 1 team wins the first 2 games , they could change to the best out of 5, ala bill & tedd vs the grim reaper, best out of, best out of 5 best out of 7 cos grim reaper keeps losing *chess* from memory

kimlo

ADMlN
Reaction score
fair points made mate and i totally agree but at what cost does it come to the clubs???...we lost hannat for 4-6 weeks because of a knee injury and we know he is an important part of the doggies forward pack
The money from Origin is fundamental to the NRL giving a $3.4 million grant every year to all NRL clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.