Fullback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
What would you do? Hopoate would be back in a few rounds and Abbey is slowly finding his feet in FG. Would you drop Abbey and go with the safe option in Hopoate or persist with the development of Abbey at fullback?
I feel giving Abbey a taste of first grade and sending back to NSW cup would benefical to his development. It would give him the motivation to win back his spot and work on his weakness' to his game.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I couldn't make a call at this stage...wait and see how he's going right until Hoppa is fit. Id still be chasing a fb at this stage though..
This

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Too early to tell re Abbey.
The fb position ought to be fought out between him and Mbye.

Hopoate is a centre or wing in a hi performing team.
Hoppa, Kennar, Holland & Montoya can fight it out for two slots - pressure would be good for the team.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Right now hoppa is ahead of abbey. Abbey might need another 12-14 months of development and he will be up to hoppas level.

Thing with hoppa is he is a strong runner and makes good meters every game. Abbey gets dominated in some tackles (he is still 20 so it's understandable he hasn't fully developed yet).

But in saying that abbey has improved every game so far and will be better from getting a taste of first grade.

I think hoppa was up there in terms of kick return meters too.

To win games this year you go hoppa. If development is what you are after you keep abbey.

Bad thing with abbey is Montoya has locked up a wing position. So it would be wrong to shift him on the wing to continue his development.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Abbey is the future but Hoppa experience and big game temperament means he comes back. Is he still skipping Sunday's?

FattyMcLarge

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Build for all of our futures. Abbey will be a good fb

Reactions: DT

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Abby will be another Luke Patten, scary at first then develops into a very solid first grader but has the occasional stuff up, just like Luke.
Problem for Mbye is he is either a hooker or fullback in my eyes.
I think he would be a great fullback potentially but i like Abby so far and he is much taller.
My solution is Abby fullback, Mbye five eight, Reynolds impact from bench with Lichaa most likely to swap with Reynolds...ah who knows what the once great Hasler will do, doubt it will be good though.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
IF we get Tedesco then "who's abbey" LOL
The rumour is roosters want teddy, and they get their man.. we couldn't possibly afford him with with our mismanagement of cap by paying overs for ageing forwards

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Where did you get the idea that Hopoate is the "safe option" He offers nothing.
At least Abbey has potential and he should be encouraged.
Hoppa also provides zero support play.. at least Abbey was sniffing around all the time .. he even scored the match winner

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
What would you do? Hopoate would be back in a few rounds and Abbey is slowly finding his feet in FG. Would you drop Abbey and go with the safe option in Hopoate or persist with the development of Abbey at fullback?
I feel giving Abbey a taste of first grade and sending back to NSW cup would benefical to his development. It would give him the motivation to win back his spot and work on his weakness' to his game.
I'd have hoppa back and drop abbey
Abbey makes far to many positional errors that result in opposition try's against us.

Hoppa for abbey for now

Abbey is the best fill in we have when hoppa is out on Sundays and what not

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Abbey is starting to look the goods. He is not there yet, but dropping him will only set him back and then what? We only play him on Sundays?

And 'who's Abbey if Tedesco comes????' It is a very big 'IF' that Tedesco joins. We need to develop Abbey.

Hopoate lost me when he decided to not play for us and showing preference for his so-called religion.

Keep Abbey

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I would go with the future and keep Abbey.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I didn't realize he was so young, Abbey was eligible for 20's last year

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Id give Abbey more starts myself, Hop needs to play Sundays to be considered a full time footballer, and who needs a part timer in the spine? Hopoate can play footy ok, but the Sunday thing....

Status
Not open for further replies.