Full round at Suncorp? All 8 Teams, One Round, One Avenue. What's Your Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimlo

ADMlN
Reaction score
Mayer calls for an extra round

By Brent Read
June 18, 2008

NRL clubs will next week consider a radical proposal which would involve expanding the regular season by one round and moving an entire weekend of matches to Suncorp Stadium.

The concept, developed by Manly chief executive Grant Mayer, is based loosely on Super League's Millennium Magic weekend in which English clubs play a round of games in Wales.

Under Mayer's plan, which is designed to increase the game's revenue streams, all clubs will continue to play 12 home and away matches. But an extra round will be added involving games between traditional rivals such as Manly and Parramatta and Brisbane and North Queensland. The games will then be put out to tender, with the city and stadium offering the largest incentive given the right to host the round.

Mayer's proposal comes at a sensitive commercial time for the game, with Sydney clubs, in particular, struggling for finances given the impact of the New South Wales Government poker machine tax.

Under the plan, profits would be divided into 17 portions - one portion for each club and the other to be given to the players' retirement fund as a reward for playing an extra game.

"The game itself has got to continue to evolve," Mayer said. "This is a simple idea that may develop into a terrific concept. It's open to the floor for feedback.

"I have seen it work in the UK and I think we're a bigger, strong, smarter market that will make this really happen."

Sydney clubs are expected to embrace the concept given their financial woes, but it remains to be seen how it will be received by interstate sides.

The concept has already been broached with the NRL and the NRL board. If it was to be accepted, it would likely begin next season at Suncorp Stadium.

While the jury remains out in club land, Canberra chief executive Don Furner has given his tentative approval to the idea pending further discussion at next Tuesday's summit of chief executives in Sydney.

"It definitely has merit," Furner said. "It would be good to sit down and talk about it."

NRL chief executive David Gallop said the chances of it being approved would likely hinge on its financial viability.

"If you consider the Gold Coast Titans, Monday night football and the Toyota Cup, our code has taken very innovative strategic steps in recent seasons," Gallop said.

"Given its success in the United Kingdom, this may well be a unique opportunity for our game in Australia.

"We need to consider the position of the stadiums, the state governments, the clubs, the players and the fans to see if it's commercially viable."

Next week's summit, which comes on the heels of a meeting last month to discuss the financial pressures on clubs, is expected to address the most pressing issues in the game.

Expansion and the prospects of a national competition will be on the agenda, as will the number of clubs in Sydney.

Mayer's proposal is the first potential solution to be made public.

"We should all be prepared to put up with it for the first 12 months in the hope that years two, three and four become much stronger," Mayer said.

Asked about the increased workload on players, another significant issue confronting the game, Mayer replied: "That's probably the biggest issue when you talk about increasing the number of games. But it's not insurmountable." The structure of the competition is also expected to receive plenty of attention next week, in particular the impact of State of Origin on the club competition.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23881332-23214,00.html

kimlo

ADMlN
Reaction score
I think it's a brilliant idea, which would have huge sucesss.

My thoughts on this would be that the games be played as such

I'd like to see it this way.

FRIDAY NIGHT DOUBLE HEADER:

Game 1 - Broncos - V - Melbourne
Game 2 - Titans - V - Cowboys

SATURDAY NIGHT DOUBLE HEADER:

Game 1 - Bulldogs - V - Roosters
Game 2 - Parra - V - Manly

SUNDAY ARVO DOUBLE HEADER:

Game 1 - Dragons - V - Sharks
Game 2 - Penrith - V - Tigers

MONDAY NIGHT DOUBLE HEADER:

Game 1 - Warriors - V - Canberra
Game 2 - Souths - V - Knights

And the tickets be sold as double header tickets, one for each day, and one tickets which would cover all four days.

B

Ben Godberts.

Shocking idea, in case you haven't noticed there are all the people who live in sydney
Where will toyota cup play

kimlo

ADMlN
Reaction score
Shocking idea, in case you haven't noticed there are all the people who live in sydney
Where will toyota cup play
It's a "Extra Round" Toyota cup doesn't not have to play the extra round.

I'm sure if people could watch all 8 games over one long weekend, once a year they would do it.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Awesome idea. We play 1 game at suncorp every year anyway, so why not make it that round :grinning: If it'll help clubs with the pokie tax, why not?

B

Ben Godberts.

Its a stupid idea which only queenslander benefit from

kimlo

ADMlN
Reaction score
Its a stupid idea which only queenslander benefit from
Every club will make about 100,000 from it you idiot. It's no ones homegame, It's an extra round so every club can make an extra $100,000.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Every club will make about 100,000 from it you idiot. It's no ones homegame, It's an extra round so every club can make an extra $100,000.
...and from that $100,000, the State Government can't take any of it :p

DOGS MAFIA

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Great idea, lets hope the NRL goes with it.
Would by ticket for every day & fly up to watch it all

SaMi..

SaMi..
Reaction score

And the tickets be sold as double header tickets, one for each day, and one tickets which would cover all four days.
great idea, couldn't of named the fixtures better myself:grinning:.

If there was to be any toyota cup, let them play at skilled stadium, but shouldnt be televised.

smarty

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

it should be souths vs roosters
and
bulldogs vs tigers

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
There should be alot less games and rounds in the comp. Not more. Quality over quantity. The standard if footy is woeful, and has been for a few years, and it is because there are too many games and due to the effects of the salary cap.

Last edited by a moderator:

smarty

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
the souths have a traditional rivalry with the roosters
we have them with the tigers and parra

we do not have it with the roosters

the_gamee

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I would go up to queensland for the weekend to watch that.

matt

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Interesting idea, would be worth a look at.

PantherPower83

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like a great concept.

The clubs would benefit, the game would benefit and the supporters would benefit.

I would fly to wherever it was held to watch it over a weekend period. An excuse for a holiday.

Im sure it would have a semi final atmosphere to it.

Instead of making it a game extra though why not reduce it so instead of having two byes...have one each instead? Less workload for players

kimlo

ADMlN
Reaction score
Sounds like a great concept.

The clubs would benefit, the game would benefit and the supporters would benefit.

I would fly to wherever it was held to watch it over a weekend period. An excuse for a holiday.

Im sure it would have a semi final atmosphere to it.

Instead of making it a game extra though why not reduce it so instead of having two byes...have one each instead? Less workload for players
What? :confused: Reduce the byes? I don't understand that please explain that sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.