Form. Stats. Betting. Lies. Misconceptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
I'm no more of an authority on this issue than the next punter, but for those of you on here who are new to "betting" or are influenced by chatter surrounding "favoritism", I'm gonna try and explain a basic understanding of "markets".

Say we're playing Canberra ... there's three trains of thought that need to be considered.

(1) Basic stats : With two teams competing, it's the old 'coin-flip' analogy. Ergo, 50% chance of winning.

(2) Metrics analysis : You choose a 'metric' such as Win-Loss ratio, ladder positions, recent matches and/or points differential. Then you can apply statistical probability. For example, if Canterbury has won their last 4 out of 10, and Canberra has won 5 out of 10, at the most basic level of scrutiny it appears as if recent form favours a Canberra win.

(3) Form guides : Using Wests Tigers as a barometer, if Canberra beat Tigers by 8 points, but Bulldogs lose to Tigers by 24 points, it suggests Canberra are a better team than Bulldogs to the tune of 32 points.

So, after an elementary analysis of the points above, it's clear Canberra ought to be favourites when they play Bulldogs next week.

When we review some odds we see the following ...

- Head to Head = Canberra $1.65 / Bulldogs $2.25.
- Line = Canberra (-3.5) $1.90 / Bulldogs (+3.5) $1.90.
- Margins = Canberra 13+ @ $3.00 / Canberra 1-12 @ $3.00 / Bulldogs 1-12 @ $3.50 / Bulldogs 13+ @ $6.00 / Draw after 80mins @ $23.00

From a bookmaker perspective they're trying to tell you the following ...

- Head to Head = Canberra 58% / Bulldogs 42%.
- Line = Canberra (-3.5) 50% / Bulldogs (+3.5) 50%.
- Margins = Canberra 13+ @ 28% / Canberra 1-12 @ 28% / Bulldogs 1-12 @ 24% / Bulldogs 13+ @ 16% / Draw after 80mins @ 4%

At this point in time a good punter (better ones than me) will formulate what they believe to be "True odds", and look to take advantage of betting types that represent good value.

To summarise : Using the Canberra vs Bulldogs game as our example ...

- If you believe Canberra has a better chance than 58% of winning, it stands to reason you'd bet up on the $1.65 because their odds should be shorter.

Same thinking applies the other way. If you believe Bulldogs have a better chance than 42% of winning, the $2.25 offered (or higher) seems like a good value bet.

- Using our 'form guide analysis' above, you'd recall the debate that suggests Canberra are a better team to the tune of 32 points. With that in mind, Canberra -3.5 points @ $1.90 seems like stealing money and you'd probably want to bet up on that instead of the $1.65 on head-to-head. Furthermore, the bookmaker I'm looking at right now is offering Canberra -19.5 points at $5.50.

The major factor in this theory is "how much of an accurate barometer are the Wests Tigers ?". Were similar teams playing? Was it the same ground, weather and turnaround? Do the lineups for Canberra and Bulldogs appear similar compared to the Tigers games? Etc, etc, etc ...

The final factor in all of this are the actual odds offered : Bookmakers have the job of ensuring they get paid no matter the result. They do this in two ways. (A) they take a percentage of the overall betting pool and (B) they will manipulate odds to avoid risk.

If too many people start plonking money on Canberra at $1.65, they'll reduce their odds (say to $1.50) and increase Bulldogs odds (say to $2.75), in an attempt to entice more investment on 'the other option' to balance the ledger. But this in no way accurately represents the true chances of winning.

Moral of this story = You can't rely on 'odds' as a true indicator of actual chances. And it's impossible to factor in the actions and consequences of 'the football gods'. So to avoid losing your shirt and/or singing for your supper, it's always best to gamble to a budget, apply some logic to your strategies and treat punting as a learning process. That way you'll endure tough losses along with enjoying your gains long term.

Last edited by a moderator:

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Makes you think....

Thanks Uncle.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
and always Bet Responsibly and with your head!

I'm Joel Todd Munsie from SportsTabWaterhouse

Trendsetter

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Simply, don't bet on the dogs to win anything.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Bet on Dogs, can't go wrong.

On a separate note, does anyone know of any good bridges a bum could sleep under?

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
i think canberra have a much larger than 58% chance to win, therefore im putting money on the dogs

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
btw the most satisfying thing is when all the money comes in for one team but then you put it on the opposite team and you win

that means most people are idiots and you are smart

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
when you bet on a number in roulette ,the odds of that number coming out increase with every spin , to apply that theory to our win/loss stats , the chances of us winning or breaking the losing streak ,should be enormous or getting up there.

For that reason alone I'm betting the dogs to win this week.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
when you bet on a number in roulette ,the odds of that number coming out increase with every spin , to apply that theory to our win/loss stats , the chances of us winning or breaking the losing streak ,should be enormous or getting up there.

For that reason alone I'm betting the dogs to win this week.
That's theory #4 in the next installment : "Law of averages" :thumb:

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I am a genius and have a fool proof system to make you happy.

Get $50 and bet it against the Bulldogs. Bulldogs win, you're happy. Bulldogs lose, you've won money...

You're welcome. Thank me with cake. Actually, a pecan pie. They're like sex, except I don't have to beg for it.

I lied. I beg for it.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
People still bet on league??

nassman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
People still bet on league??
We certainly do, it's been much more tumultuous if compared to last season, but i'm still seeing a consistent positive yield.

I'm not gonna lie though, it's not the kind of season where amateurs should be starting their sports betting careers with nrl being a major market, the new rule interpretations have significantly changed the way certain team styles and structures operate against others and I think this will continue into next year with more rule changes (interchange being the most significant).

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
We certainly do, it's been much more tumultuous if compared to last season, but i'm still seeing a consistent positive yield.

I'm not gonna lie though, it's not the kind of season where amateurs should be starting their sports betting careers with nrl being a major market, the new rule interpretations have significantly changed the way certain team styles and structures operate against others and I think this will continue into next year with more rule changes (interchange being the most significant).
I found a blog once. Guy spend two years studying matches and came up with a strategy that you back long-shots in first 5-6 rounds, then favourites for the rest of the season.

Don't know how much water it holds in 2014/2015 but worth a read : https://therestijustsquandered.word...iew-how-has-the-gambling-manifesto-performed/

nassman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I adopt a similar strategy ck (and it's one I overheard my year 9 maths teacher talk about many years ago) while I form my opinion on a teams strengths and weaknesses over the first few rounds, slowly ramping up how many bets I'll place, how many legs in multi's, how much of my bankroll i'll risk on a given round.

Generally I won't really get into it until round 4-5 so i've at least seen a team play that many times, but there's definitely profitability in backing outsiders as the early season is full of upsets and generally the week to week form changes dramatically.

There's definitely money to be made, i've been taking it seriously (and by that I mean investing multiple hours a week studying stats, previews and tips) in addition to watching every game either live or on replay for about 6 years and have turned a profit every season.

It's genuinely a small second income for me, but I increase my starting bankroll every season and will continue to do it forever I reckon. By the time i'm retired I reckon it will be a great source of income for me on top of rental return and capital growth. The only problem is eventually i'll have to be placing my bets at TAB outlets as i've been warned multiple times by multiple online bookies with account closures and things of that nature..

Status
Not open for further replies.