Fishing thread

xreedmatic

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Any keen kennelers out there who love to fish?

What are your favourite species to target?

I love a beach fish for Mulloway and hitting the squids off the stones!

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
There's quite a few fishermen on here

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Flicking plastics or beach worms on the sand flats for whiting and flatties. Used to enjoy chasing jewies and kings but I don't have as much time anymore and prefer a relaxing session

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I usually go after Blackfish on Mona Vale rocks, it now seems to be an old guys' game as I rarely see anyone over 50 doing it, also Whiting etc on Narrabeen beach.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
If I were a fisherman.
This song would be on repeat

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I usually go after Blackfish on Mona Vale rocks, it now seems to be an old guys' game as I rarely see anyone over 50 doing it, also Whiting etc on Narrabeen beach.
Definitely a dying art. Don't know anybody that target blackfish anymore

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Any keen kennelers out there who love to fish?

What are your favourite species to target?

I love a beach fish for Mulloway and hitting the squids off the stones!
There's a pretty big fishing thread on here somewhere.

But for me
1. Yes- I love fishing.
2. Locally we have cod, trout, catfish, redfin perch (pest species here), yellow belly and some monster Eels.
Easiest to catch is the Eels. Just get a yabby. Hook it onto a heavy duty hook with 25-50kg line at about 9pm in the summer, maybe 8pm in winter. About an hour after sundown basically. They hit the bait and run. But they put up a decent fight. I haven't caught one locally that's under a metre long yet, though I don't fish for the smelly things that often.
Cod are great for lure fishing. They aren't the most energetic fighters, but they're generally pretty heavy. So I don't rush bringing them in. But they smash lures hard and the initial take, especially with a surface lure comes out of the blue. They're a bit Barra like with their strikes, but too heavy for jumping. Good eating too.
Trout. They're the toughest species to catch for me. I know you can catch them on bait, with flies or lures. I spent three weekends out trying to catch one after I bought a fly rod. Had a fly fisherman I worked with give enough pointers that I could hit roughly where I wanted. But fly selection is key and I had zero fucking idea on it. With lures, I use small Rapalas with orange dots generally black topped, green on the sides and a white belly. Close to breeding season, the orange dots will cause aggression strikes rather than them waiting until they're hungry, they'll hit the lure to eliminate competition to breed.
The catfish I find pretty boring, just drop in bait.
I only know one place for the yellows and it's generally fished out there as it's a well known spot. Hard to even get a nibble, but they are there and a real challenge to catch.
Lastly the redfin. The dam that supplies my town water is infested with them. Had days there when I've caught 30 fish in about an hour. They're generally small, but I have caught one that was right on 40cm that felt like a monster when they're mostly about 1/4 of the size. Can't throw them back either, so I've worked out they're delicious crumbed even if you only get a small fillet per side.

I'd like to do more saltwater fishing. Just knowing that there's the potential to catch hundreds of species is nice. It's fun pulling something up and thinking WTF is this when I catch something I've never seen before.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love fishing with the kids, we usually go to Balmain, pier 2 or pier 8, Tom ugly bridge, for the long weekend we’re heading to Wollongong, port Kembla. Does anyone have any other suggestions for fishing with the Kids?

Kung fu man

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heaps of prawns, flatties and mudcrabs in the Hawkesbury ATM

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Definitely a dying art. Don't know anybody that target blackfish anymore
I target them but not in the traditional way (weed/cabbage). I use nippers only at night with a light as possible sinker running straight to the hook.
Also used to jag a few on double clutch lures when there was bioluminescence in the water, usually in the eyeball so I guess they were curious

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Love fishing with the kids, we usually go to Balmain, pier 2 or pier 8, Tom ugly bridge, for the long weekend we’re heading to Wollongong, port Kembla. Does anyone have any other suggestions for fishing with the Kids?
Pump ghost nippers for bait you will catch more

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm not sure how old your kids are, but great tip for youngsters if they're not catching anything is guppy fishing.

Guppy fishing instructions.
Get a little bit of wire either fuse wire or from a twist tie.
Snap the wire to about 2cm long
Tie about 10-15 cm of string to the middle of the wire. Tie the other end to a stick (which is now your fishing rod.
Find a smallish container that holds water. A kids beach bucket is fine or an ice cream container. Put water from your fishing hole in it.
Find a few garden worms. Attach one to the wire so there's only half a cm overhanging the wire a each end.
Find a freshwater source with guppies. Dangle the bait and guppies will flock to it you'll get about three seconds with a guppy dangling before it drops off the worm. The aim is to move the guppy over the bucket before it drops off.

I used to have competitions with my nephews to see who could catch more up until the youngest was 14.

Last edited:

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure how old your kids are, but great tip for youngsters if they're not catching anything is guppy fishing.

Guppy fishing instructions.
Get a little bit of wire either fuse wire or from a twist tie.
Snap the wire to about 2cm long
Tie about 10-15 cm of string to the middle of the wire. Tie the other end to a stick (which is now your fishing rod.
Find a smallish container that holds water. A kids beach bucket is fine or an ice cream container. Put water from your fishing hole in it.
Find a few garden worms. Attach one to the wire so there's only half a cm overhanging the wire a each end.
Find a freshwater source with guppies. Dangle the bait and guppies will flock to it you'll get about three seconds with a guppy dangling before it drops off the worm.

I used to have competitions with my nephews to see who could catch more up until the youngest was 14.
that’s awesome, 11, 13, 15 years old, whatever takes them away from the technology, now we get there even earlier and try to catch some yabbies and guppies for extra bait. Already in the process of getting them to make their own yabbie pump, even more time away from technology. Hahahaha…

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
that’s awesome, 11, 13, 15 years old, whatever takes them away from the technology, now we get there even earlier and try to catch some yabbies and guppies for extra bait. Already in the process of getting them to make their own yabbie pump, even more time away from technology. Hahahaha…
Haha. That reminds me of an unfinished project. I have everything but a rubber cap to attach to the inner bar. I wasn't ready to sacrifice a thong at that stage so I postponed my pump build.

Would love to see their finished pump and pictures of the build process if you can be bothered to post them.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Haha. That reminds me of an unfinished project. I have everything but a rubber cap to attach to the inner bar. I wasn't ready to sacrifice a thong at that stage so I postponed my pump build.

Would love to see their finished pump and pictures of the build process if you can be bothered to post them.
We’re going to use a rubber ball. Once completed I’ll post the images.