Fishing and your fishing set up.

SexBomb

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love Daiwa, top quality and tough.

I've had plenty of Kmart combos that do their job well. Usually Jarvis Walker brand. 30-50 bucks can get you a good combo to learn your craft with.

The pros on here will tell you exactly what to start with but im guessing a 7 foot estuary combo will serve you well.
I actually think I've got a rod, NFI what it is though.
Have to try and find it, so I can be advised if it's decent or junk, and if decent, what reel to go with.

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What's the recommended budget kit for someone new to fishing?
Will not be on a boat.
Go to kmart and pick up a 7ft Jarvis walker rod and reel for like $30 or $40, some mustad 1/0 long shank hooks, a pack of swivels and a pack of small ball sinkers. Jump on YouTube and learn how to tie a running sinker set-up and go for gold

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
I actually think I've got a rod, NFI what it is though.
Have to try and find it, so I can be advised if it's decent or junk, and if decent, what reel to go with.
Go to kmart and pick up a 7ft Jarvis walker rod and reel for like $30 or $40, some mustad 1/0 long shank hooks, a pack of swivels and a pack of small ball sinkers. Jump on YouTube and learn how to tie a running sinker set-up and go for gold

Don't listen to this guy. If youre gunna fish and you've gotta partner you're gunna need to use a normal plain shank hook, a running sinker and a secret credit card

Last edited:

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lol I just done mass of dogshit knots on the running sinker so it wouldn't move lol .that's all they had at kmart

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Worth the coin over say a Kmart special if you're just dipping your toes so to speak?
Actually, stick with Jervis Walker from Kmart. When you get "hooked", get a Daiwa rig.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
What's the recommended budget kit for someone new to fishing?
Will not be on a boat.
Exactly this.
although if you planing on learning on a beach or off a CALM rock shelf, go for a 10-12ft rod.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If starting out at fishing, go with cheapish gear. People either love or hate fishing. Some find it feels like a waste of time.

If you're the type who gets hooked on fishing, you'll have plenty of time to throw too much cash on fishing gear in the many years after picking up the addiction.

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Greater Sydney area and probably try different areas, yet likely a river to start off with.
Whatever fishing you do if you're using bait, use the lightest sinker possible. Usually somewhere in between 00 and 2. For estuary and river. Use just enough bait to cover the hook and shank. Normal sized shank is better than long shank imo. I would recommend a 3-6kg rod with a 2500 size reel and 15-20 pound monofilament line to start. If you have a weighted scale you can tie your line to it while its on the rod and set the drag to just a few pounds below breaking strain. Will allow you to broomstick decent sized bream and flathead out of the water if you can't get down there with a net.

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Whatever fishing you do if you're using bait, use the lightest sinker possible. Usually somewhere in between 00 and 2. For estuary and river. Use just enough bait to cover the hook and shank. Normal sized shank is better than long shank imo. I would recommend a 3-6kg rod with a 2500 size reel and 15-20 pound monofilament line to start. If you have a weighted scale you can tie your line to it while its on the rod and set the drag to just a few pounds below breaking strain. Will allow you to broomstick decent sized bream and flathead out of the water if you can't get down there with a net.
I prefer a long shank because it opens up the possibility of catching whiting. If you're not fishing towards the mouths of a river then a long shank may be wasted.

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
I prefer a long shank because it opens up the possibility of catching whiting. If you're not fishing towards the mouths of a river then a long shank may be wasted.
Long shank.has saved me once when I hooked a 60cm tailor off the wall. If I didn't have long shank I would've been bitten off for sure.

Reason I don't really go much on them because I mostly fish with yabbies/ghost nippers so that opens up the range of species that I catch. But alot of those (drummer,luderick,bream) won't swallow down a long shank
received_3079825708965852.jpeg

All caught on nippers with size 1 or 2 eagle claws.
Screenshot_20231022_103459_Gallery.jpg

The 1/0 2xstrength is the left hook which I only use for drummer think the other is 1 or 2. Use it for everything estuary. Except Jews you don't even need a hook for those bastards, just a handful of shekels

SexBomb

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rod 1 : Abu Garcia DT21001SFM, Length - 3.04mtr [10'.0'], Sections - 2, Line Class - 6-10kg, Action - med spin, composite graphite, dynamic tip

Rod 2 : Sport Fisher Saturn 8" GP Combo, Length -2.4m, 2 piece, Line class - 4-7k, Cast weight - 14-56g; Reel -Sport Fisher Saturn 4000
The bound thread on the top of the rod with the reel on it has come loose (worth fixing and if yes, how?), and the grips are powdery (wear gloves).

Both at the right price (dumped).

Advice appreciated all.

SexBomb

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does the swivel size or type matter?

As for hooks,
No idea where to find Eagle Claw from, not sure what Mustad hook to go with from BCF, or go with one of the Kmart branded ones?

Sinker

Combo
Do I bother with the above used rods, or go for one of the below?

Opinions @belmore_utd @UmoGus @Alan79 @Bad Billy @south of heaven @EXORCIST

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

As for hooks,
No idea where to find Eagle Claw from, not sure what Mustad hook to go with from BCF, or go with one of the Kmart branded ones?

Sinker

Combo

I'm not the expert here, the other boys you mentioned know more than me but do you prefer a telescopic rod? You don't like a 2 piece rod?

SexBomb

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure what
I'm not the expert here, the other boys you mentioned know more than me but do you prefer a telescopic rod? You don't like a 2 piece rod?
What are the disadvantages of telescopic?
Advantage obviously is stored size.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

As for hooks,

Sinker

Combo

A swivel with a wire size fatter than your line is better, because it’s less likely to cut your line.

get yourself a range of sinkers and hooks. -mustad hooks won’t let you down and you need to use the sinker that suits the conditions.

A new combo is the way to go. The ocean can be hard on gear, especially if not cared for.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
A new combo is the way to go. The ocean can be hard on gear, especially if not cared for.
Don't know if it's a pro tip but I always rinse my rod and real with fresh water after every use.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Not sure what

What are the disadvantages of telescopic?
Advantage obviously is stored size.
I'm just talking on my experience but I feel the telescopic are a bit flimsy, but haven't bought/used one for decades so maybe they are made better these days?