Fishing and your fishing set up.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What type of line do you all prefer. Braided or nylon?

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Fuck off southy that's unreal. I'm still yet to catch a legal jewie
First one in my life, probably the only one lol it's over 6kg ,I just go down water front have a few beers and little bbq to chill ,I only throw the rod out to see if I get a nibble, I don't really care if I catch anything of not. That definitely a bonus lol

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I have a couple of hand lines
And a few Jarvis walker rods with shimahno reels
Combo kits from k mart.
LOL

JOHNY BULLDOG

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I love my Fishing and Kayaking. And after searching for older fishing threads I find they're locked. So I thought I'd start a new one to talk about my new set up and maybe find out what kind of set up others have for fishing.

I pretty recently bought a used Feel free lure 10 kayak which is a huge upgrade on my old kayak which wasn't really good for setting up as a fishing rig. It just didn't have any convenient spots to add rod holders and generally it was pretty poor for storage areas. I mainly went for the lure 10 since it's super stable (enough to stand up in) comes with plenty of options to set up extra rod holders on top of the three standard ones. And it's got the best seating system I could find (since my back doesn't enjoy 5 hours in a set position). The seat on the feel free lures has a ratchet system that allows you to elevate it into 10 different heights while on the water.

Since getting the lure 10, I decided to buy an electric outboard since it's a pretty heavy Kayak and I plan at some stage soon to sort out a fish finder. I have half dozen things on the way to me at the moment including a new set of roof racks since the old soft racks I was using weren't good enough for the heavier new Kayak. I also have a $600 50ah 12v battery for the outboard coming and I have about a fortnight to do some mods to a towbar bike rack to convert it to a rear loading tool. I'm in the process of converting a milk crate to be well organized in the Yak with storage in the back and I'll also set up a better system for mounting the motor. The plan is to take 4 rods set up with different lures that I can switch between quickly without having to worry about rigging up 35 times a day as I have in the past.

I love having a good paddle, but with the trolling motor I should be able to travel 15-20km on a single charge of the battery so hopefully if the fish aren't biting near where I launch I'll be able to move a lot more quickly to somewhere that they're hungry.

I mainly fish fresh water since thats all that my local area has, but plan to take a few trips towards Coffs harbour, Red Rock and that general area to try out some estuary fishing. I'm pretty excited about getting out on the water with my new setup. I've watched a crapload of youtube vids to get more ideas on a better set up and am thinking I might create my own to share my adventures.

Anyway enough rabbling from me. Anyone else have a nice fishing set up or any good fishing stories to share?
Hi mate just remember Starlo and Bushy recommend slow and varied retrieves [emoji6]

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
$ 40 rod from kmart , kangaroo for bait , 90cm fish good times.
View attachment 87466
That’s a fucken cracker, bro.
I caught a 65cm jewie off a miss-cast at Garie a couple of years back. Thumb slipped off the spool, straight up in the air, massive birds nest, fucken thing nearly ripped the rod out of my hands as soon as it hit the water…right in front of me, reel was un-windable, just gave it to my mate and dragged it in by hand with gloves.

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
I caught a 65cm jewie off a miss-cast at Garie a couple of years back. Thumb slipped off the spool, straight up in the air, massive birds nest, fucken thing nearly ripped the rod out of my hands as soon as it hit the water…right in front of me, reel was un-windable, just gave it to my mate and dragged it in by hand with gloves.
Fuckin baitcasters

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
On lures/plastics vs bait;
Some places just fish better on one or the other. Don’t know why, maybe bottom surface, or light conditions, or sea temp?
I have NEVER spun up a fish in the National Park, WA pillies will land you trevalli, Jews, kings, Bonnies, salmon and bream, all day.
conversely,
At whale beach, you could use the same pilchard, all day, and not catch a fucking thing while the guys beside you are spinning forks, car keys, crumpled Alfoil from the sanwich -anything shiny- and pulling Bonnies and Mack tuna out, every cast.
it’s ridiculous.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah ,when the fucker got on i thought shit it's a stingray ,but it started a decent fight, I thought no way am I bringing this up on what I gots luckily I had a mate to witness the fight lol.but I let it swim a bit then he got buggered pretty quickly.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
All the work some of you do to catch a fish.

Mine is so easy.

Go to local fishmonger & pick fish from there. :grinning:

You are all welcome. ENJOY.

No need for thanks.
Pretty much I have a really nice co op less than 30second walk from my door, but I just throw a line in with no expectations but to chill have a few coldies.half the time I pack up and just go get a kilo of prawns and sit on my deck