Ferdinand ruled out of World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
England captain Rio Ferdinand will miss the World Cup after suffering ligmament damage to his left knee in the team's first training session in South Africa.

The 31-year-old has been ruled out for up to six weeks and Tottenham centre-back Michael Dawson is to fly out later on Friday as his replacement.

Steven Gerrard will now take over as England captain for the tournament.

"Everyone with the squad is very disappointed and sorry for Rio," said England manager Fabio Capello.

"It was an accidental injury in training, but had nothing to do with the pitch."

Ferdinand was sent to the Fearncrest Hospital in Rustenburg for a scan after suffering the injury late on in training in a challenge with striker Emile Heskey, described by Capello as "a normal tackle".
The Manchester United defender was later seen emerging from the hospital on crutches, and a second medical opinion confirmed that he had no chance of featuring in South Africa.

His withdrawal from what would have been his fourth World Cup is a devastating end to an already disappointing season for Ferdinand, who, because of a back injury, had been restricted to only 13 Premier League starts for United and 21 appearances overall.

The centre-back had appeared to have overcome his injury problems when he trained with no setbacks at England's two-week World Cup training camp in Austria. He also came through the recent friendly victories over Mexico and Japan.

Dawson was the only centre-back dropped by Capello when he trimmed his 30-man training squad to the 23 for the tournament.

The 26-year-old enjoyed a fine season as Spurs finished in fourth place in the Premier League, but is uncapped at international level.

"It's a crazy game and things can change in a split second," said Dawson.

"One minute I'm trying to arrange my holiday, then I get a call asking if I was on holiday because Rio had pulled out of training.
Michael Dawson
Dawson has yet to win a senior cap

"I said 'no' and then I was just waiting by the phone before getting a call saying I would be picked up in an hour.

"I'll be going out there still having not yet won a senior cap, so where better place to get one if that was to happen."

He also told Tottenham's website: "For Rio to get injured, there would be no worse feeling for him as a player. To miss the biggest tournament in the world as the captain, I feel for him. "

Dawson's Spurs manager Harry Redknapp had suggested Capello only picked the defender in his 30-man party to "make up the numbers". But the England coach said: "I didn't hear when Redknapp said that. For me, all 30 players who stayed with me in Austria are important, really important for me.

"For me, it was important to find out and learn about all the players as they trained together. It's not important what other managers think about the players I've chosen. Dawson will be pleased to come here."

Dawson will be joining Spurs team-mates Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Aaron Lennon and Ledley King at the England camp.

Capello must now decide whether Dawson, King, Jamie Carragher or Matthew Upson should replace Ferdinand alongside John Terry at the heart of England's defence.

The Italian made Ferdinand captain of England in February, having stripped Terry of the role following allegations that the Chelsea defender had an affair with the ex-girlfriend of former team-mate Wayne Bridge.

Ferdinand, who made his England debut back in 1997 as a 19-year-old, has 78 caps and has scored three goals for his country.

Shearer - 'Let's win it for Rio'

Friday had started on a more positive note for England, with the news that midfielder Gareth Barry - who had been a major doubt after suffering an ankle injury towards the end of Manchester City's season - trained with the squad.

"Gareth Barry is improving every day," said Capello.

"In the afternoon he is training in the gym with the physio and in the morning always with the team.

"He is not completely training with the team as we have to be very careful."

Meanwhile, goalkeeper David James sat out the training session after suffering a slight knee problem.

His injury is not thought to be too severe and is related to the 11-hour overnight flight from London to South Africa on Thursday.

England's World Cup campaign begins with their game against the United States in Rustenburg on 12 June.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Lampard > Gerrard.

matauce

Baller
Reaction score
The missing piece of the puzzle is now filled with Gerrard captain.

ENGLAND 2010 FIFA WORLD CUP CHAMPIONS!

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Hahaha.

Still, Lampard > Gerrard

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Lampard > Rooney. :p

I'm looking forward to tonight's game. Hope you guys smack the Wanks.

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Too many Yids in the squad, hopefully they fall flat on their faces. I couldn't stand seeing ****s like ****ley Cole, John Terry & any Yid **** celebratiing a WC win. Thank **** Beckham is out. I'll probably end up supporting them a bit.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Hahahahahahahaha. Nice.

I can't stand Terry TBH. Over rated, protected fck.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
Lampard > Rooney. :p

I'm looking forward to tonight's game. Hope you guys smack the Wanks.
you die now, yeah not sure to go to fanfest tomorrow morning or not. hope we tear the ****ish yanks a new arsehole

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
you die now, yeah not sure to go to fanfest tomorrow morning or not. hope we tear the ****ish yanks a new arsehole
What's the bet Lampard gets more than half of Rooney's goals. As in, if Rooney scores 12 goals, Lampard will score about 6-7.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
with the new ball and lampard likes to take ranged shots it's possible

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah, see how many shots/free kicks cleared the bar by heaps?

Players need to get use to it ASAP.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
yeah but iwhen it's on target even if it's about high it still troubles the keeper and the SA goal was just awesome(even if the mexican GK is a midget)

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Hahahahaha there was a corner where the Midget clean missed the ball. He went to bat the ball away but missed it by a good eight inches haha.

SA could have very easily won that game. They held of a very dominant Mehico for half an hour and the goal that Mehico scored could've been prevented if the defence did their job. FFS, they were lining up to score. It was 1 (GK) on 3.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
lol when safa hit the post the ****ing midget just jumped he had no clue

Status
Not open for further replies.