Expansion of the NRL VS Relocation of certain NRL teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
The comp is ok where it's at, to allow another team in, is questionable altogether.
I woulder rather a few Gosford games than Brisbane or Adelaide.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
NSW Cup hopefuls are moving to C/Coast already and to their current feeder clubs to try and get a crack at first grade.

So I'd say based on that the C/C Bears are pretty hopeful of a result (and Gosford Stadium isn't too bad).

See the other big issue with Perth is the time and cost to travel teams over there... not to mention timezone differences.

As for Bulldogs taking games elsewhere, I'm not a fan.

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
See the other big issue with Perth ...not to mention timezone differences.
I actually think that is a positive, especially as far as selling tv rights goes. If it were super saturday, they could play an extra game live- 5.30 east coast or NZ live, then at 7.30 another east coast game live, then at 9.30 they play the perth game live. Same goes for Friday night and Sunday afternoon. They could play the 2pm east coast game, then the delayed channel 9 game at 4, live perth game at 6.

I think they have to have a CC team in as well. **** off the least financially viable Sydney club (goodbye Sharks) and bring in a Perth and CC team. I also think the PNG team would be good to see as well at some stage. They are insane with their league following and would be backed by the government.

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Brett 'Noddy' Kimmorely was at the Perth Sport expo as a guest of the WARL.

Story below.

Star Punts on WA

Recently retired RL star Brett Kimmorley says a Perth rugby league team has the potential to follow the Melbourne Storm to become a huge start-up success.
Perth is the overwhelming favourite to defeat Central Coast, Rockhampton, PNG and SE Queensland team to become the new NRL franchise in 2013. Ahead of his visit to the city for the World Sports Expo next weekend, when Kimmorley will meet young players and man the NRL site at the Perth Exhibition Centre, he revealed the factors that would make or break a WA team.
“To be successful you have to get the right business people involved running the club, with vision and a business plan, the man affectionately known as Noddy said. “New clubs get to establish their own identity and culture. When they get it right they can be very successful.”
“I think a Perth franchise is a great idea. It would not only expand the game and make it truly national, it would also help sell TV rights, with an extra live game on offer. Ypu only have to look at the former western Reds to see the great fan base.”
Kimmorley said players, particularly marquee signings, would define the success of a start up. “It’s not just about buying players who can win football games” he said. “You have to get the right players for the business. These days you can’t afford and negative press and can’t have players who damage the brand. “You’ve also got to have people who embrace the home public and fans who are allowed to be part of a team by having a say in naming the club.”
Kimmorley sad with the backing of big business in Perth and a good junior development program, the city had the potential for a big future in the NRL.
i'll head down and have a chat with noddy and see what's happening at the nrl stand :grinning:

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
How can they force the Magpies and Steelers into merging then expand the comp, shouldn't they be allowed to stand alone first?

BDGS

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
so only 1 team will be added in 2013?
As it stands atm, 2 by 2013, that could change and be pushed back to 2014 however.

NSW Cup hopefuls are moving to C/Coast already and to their current feeder clubs to try and get a crack at first grade.

So I'd say based on that the C/C Bears are pretty hopeful of a result (and Gosford Stadium isn't too bad).

See the other big issue with Perth is the time and cost to travel teams over there... not to mention timezone differences.

As for Bulldogs taking games elsewhere, I'm not a fan.

Issue number 1.
Travel cost - WA have a Union, netball, two gAyFL, baseball and soccer teams that play in the respective national competitions and travel cost is not an issue. I am sure the most watched Australian winter sport can deal with having a WA team especially when struggling sports like netball, baseball and soccer having teams there.

Issue number 2.

Timezone is actually an advantage of their bid. Having a game in WA works so well for the NRL. WA are 2 hrs behind the eastern states. Meaning the NRL could now have two live friday games (instead of one delayed) or having three live games on super saturday.

e.g.

5.30pm live in eastern states (TV 5.30pm est)
7.30pm live in eastern states (TV 7.30pm est)
7.30pm live in WA (TV 9.30pm est)

Also hearing the TV deal with be significantly higher having a WA team then adding just two new teams from heartland areas.

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
Central Coast Bears brought down to earth by NRL chief operating officer Graham Annesley

Central Coast Bears have been brought down to earth by the NRL after claiming to be more advanced with their expansion bid than rival consortiums.

Bears chief executive Greg Florimo indicated there were a number of elements in the Central Coast bid that Central Queensland and Ipswich could not match.

Florimo, a former North Sydney captain, said the Bears had met with NRL chief operating officer Graham Annesley several times in recent months and he had indicated they were more advanced than their rivals.

"That's given we have a large membership base, more than 5000, and there's a number of elements of our bid that perhaps aren't there in the other bids, i.e. the stadium," Florimo said.

But Annesley said last night he was not sure whether he had given the Bears such cause for optimism.

"A number of areas are well advanced," Annesley said.

"They all have pluses and minuses.

"Yes, the Bears have a stadium. But that is just one part of the equation. Central Queensland have been promised a stadium.

"But there are no frontrunners because expansion is not on the agenda at the moment."

Mining magnate Nathan Tinkler's bid to buy the Newcastle Knights could be followed by a Hunter Valley team in the National Basketball League.

Tinkler Sports Group executive chairman Ken Edwards revealed they were in discussions with a number of sports.

Tinkler has guaranteed the Knights a minimum of $100 million of corporate sponsorship and hospitality over 10 years.

He also has promised members will control club colours, the name and home ground, and profits would stay in the community.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/.../story-e6frf3ou-1225992077559?from=public_rss

BDGS

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Central Coast Bears brought down to earth by NRL chief operating officer Graham Annesley

Central Coast Bears have been brought down to earth by the NRL after claiming to be more advanced with their expansion bid than rival consortiums.

Bears chief executive Greg Florimo indicated there were a number of elements in the Central Coast bid that Central Queensland and Ipswich could not match.

Florimo, a former North Sydney captain, said the Bears had met with NRL chief operating officer Graham Annesley several times in recent months and he had indicated they were more advanced than their rivals.

"That's given we have a large membership base, more than 5000, and there's a number of elements of our bid that perhaps aren't there in the other bids, i.e. the stadium," Florimo said.

But Annesley said last night he was not sure whether he had given the Bears such cause for optimism.

"A number of areas are well advanced," Annesley said.

"They all have pluses and minuses.

"Yes, the Bears have a stadium. But that is just one part of the equation. Central Queensland have been promised a stadium.

"But there are no frontrunners because expansion is not on the agenda at the moment."

Mining magnate Nathan Tinkler's bid to buy the Newcastle Knights could be followed by a Hunter Valley team in the National Basketball League.

Tinkler Sports Group executive chairman Ken Edwards revealed they were in discussions with a number of sports.

Tinkler has guaranteed the Knights a minimum of $100 million of corporate sponsorship and hospitality over 10 years.

He also has promised members will control club colours, the name and home ground, and profits would stay in the community.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/.../story-e6frf3ou-1225992077559?from=public_rss
lol this thread seems to be a day behind the when the new is breaking.

But what i take from this is that Graham has denied what he said previously, he is just saying there are no definites atm. He is also a liar because Expansion is on the agenda.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
lol this thread seems to be a day behind the when the new is breaking.
It IS off-season mode .... give it two short months and you'll have 6 threads about the same sh*t !

steve_mortimer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm all for expansion but like others here have said, why expand when only a few years back we were condensing?

I'd hate to see the NRL become a franchise situation where teams come and go every few years. In 1982 we had Canberra and Illawarra. Both teams took time to find their feet. Then in 1988 we got Newcastle, Brisbane and Gold Coast and of course more teams in 1995. Whilst things have moved on from SL I still resent the fact that the game was ruined for so long because of personal greed and agendas.

If they do add new teams they need at least 10 years to find their feet and become some sort of a force.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
I'm gonna drum it in until you all agree with me .... :becky:

Pre-season comp can be used as a breeding ground for up-and-coming clubs.

Trials Vs Comp games
At a time when rights are being negotiated, national Pay-TV penetration into other markets AND lets not forget all this while players and admin are concerned about burnout, NOW is the time for change. - Rather than risk injury to first-graders with "nothing games", they NEED something to play for. Run with me here ...

* 64 teams - Knockout comp consisting of all NRL teams, QLD cup, NSW Cup, NSW+QLD Regional/Group Champions, West.Aust Residents, Invitational Darwin, Melbourne Residents, Christchurch/Wellington, PNG, Fiji.

* Sell the rights to this comp OFF to someone other than "9" !

*Prizemoney pool almost $1.6 million. - Win two games and you get paid.

* Round one = Last two weekends of Feb. - 32 games across 16 double-headers in regional areas to promote memberships. It's called market saturation. No more NRL train waiting to arrive ... Booyah - 16 locations in two weeks ! As an example = Parkes may host Penrith with Wentworthville playing Windsor as a curtain raiser. Or Artherton Roosters mat host Nth Qld Cowboys, while Cairns plays Mackay in the curtain riaser.

(a) this gives local team Parkes/Atherton a 10,000 strong event, and the community a financial boost.
(b) this gives Penrith/Nth Qld an opportunity to consolidate a market of fans.
(c) this gives Parkes/Atherton a genuine crack at high grade footy, Penrith/Nth Qld may field emerging players or youths and risk getting beat.
(d) if Parkes/Atherton wins it's game against a NSW Cup/Qld Cup level team, they progress to Round Two against some NRL heavyweights, and a chance to play on TV, in a city stadium and progress to the final 16, for prizemoney, exposure and players get opportunities to be seen by agents, clubs, etc !!!

* Round Two = First week of March - 16 games, across 8 double headers at NRL stadiums.
If you dont wanna see Manly take on Cabramatta at SFS, that's OK because Shellharbour is playing Wests tigers after it !!!
If you dont wanna see Brisbane Broncos take on Burleigh Bears, that's OK because Ipswich Jets plays Gold Coast Titans after it !!!

* Pause to let the NRL premiership begin ...

* Round Three = ANZAC Test match period. - 16 teams left. 8 matches ... NRL teams have BYE scheduled here. Any NRL team still in the knockout, can opt to field juniors/reserves in order to rest elite players.

It is possible due to the draw structuring that a regional team and/or NSW Cup/QLD Cup team may still be in contention. They have had 8 weeks or so to prepare. Community interest is at a peak. Prizemoney starts here. Losers walk away with something. The game will be telecast by the rival network to "9" who won the bid. The players get a chance to show some talent and maybe get recruited higher !

It is HERE where we will see which clubs have the grass-roots in place to make a presence in the NRL long term. If Toowomba CLydesdales made it this far two years running, guess who's in the running for an NRL licence when they're next handed out ?

* QUARTER FINALS = State of Origin "one" period - 8 teams left. 4 games. BYE scheduled for NRL teams during all SOO matches, unless still competing in the knockout. Higher prizemoney.

* SEMI FINALS = State of Origin "two" period - 4 teams left. 2 games.

* FINAL = State of Origin "three" curtain raiser !
Prizemoney pool = $1,590,000
Winner = $500,000
Runner-Up = $200,000
Semi Finalists = $125,000 (250K)
Quarter Finalists = $80,000 (320K)
Round of 16 = $40,000 (320K)

Status
Not open for further replies.