EXCLUSIVE: Kyle Flanagan's bold claim ahead of 2023 season

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
EXCLUSIVE: Kyle Flanagan's bold claim ahead of 2023 season
By Emily Patterson -
Wide World of Sports..

[URLunfurl="true"]https://amp.nine.com.au/article/4f461c74-cbee-4139-b29e-831b4a98c9d6[/URL]

Bulldogs halfback Kyle Flanagan has vowed he will finally realise his full potential this NRLseason.

After being axed from the Roosters at the end of the 2020 season, Flanagan has faced two tough years at Belmore.

But Flanagan says incoming senior coach Cameron Ciraldo has instilled in him the confidence to be himself and take the reins of the new-look Canterbury team.

Speaking to 9News Sydney's Luke Dufficy, Flanagan admitted he has previously struggled to make an impact in the Bulldogs' attack.

"I feel like in my NRL career so far, I haven't shown a fair representation of myself on the big stage," he said.

"[But] I've always had the mentality to back myself and put in the hard work and I'll see the results."

Last year, Flanagan rejected a huge offer to move to the English Super League after struggling to find consistency in the Bulldogs' lineup.

The 24-year-old is now entering the final year of his three-season deal with Canterbury.

With an injection of star power and new leadership with Ciraldo this season, the pressure on Flanagan to fire with his playmaking has never been greater.

While playing an integral role in developing Nathan Cleary's craft while assisting at the Panthers, Flanagan says Ciraldo does not want him to be a carbon copy of the two-time premiership halfback.

"He wants me to go out there and be Kyle Flanagan," he said.

"The biggest focus for me this off-season and pre-season [has been discovering] what suits me, what's my personality and what are the strengths of my game."

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Statistically he's just as shit in nsw cup as he is in the nrl. So after 62 nrl games, I think he has shown a fair representation of what he offers on the big stage.. not much at all.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Little doubt that Flanagan has been a slow developer. However, he is now at an age where he should be able to learn from his past errors, and having guidance from the new coaching staff, he should be able to deliver. Besides, he is the only real option we have. Bailey Haywood has shown promise and will probably be next in line if he doesnt deliver.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I just wish he'd shut up and let his football do the talking, or the condemning of him.

I know the media keep approaching him for interviews. But so far the way Kyle Flanagan being himself appears to me is, guy loves to give an interview and blame coaches for trying to make him something he's not, generally having a mouth that writes cheques his talent isn't cashing etc.

I don't have anything against him, but FFS just shut up and play football. Decline interviews please.

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Little doubt that Flanagan has been a slow developer. However, he is now at an age where he should be able to learn from his past errors, and having guidance from the new coaching staff, he should be able to deliver. Besides, he is the only real option we have. Bailey Haywood has shown promise and will probably be next in line if he doesnt deliver.
I weirdly want him to do well.. hopefully he has a good year and keeps developing. You may right, he is a slow developer.

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It annoys the crap out of me when these stories come out about what a player is "gonna" do, or how this year will be different. TPJ is in the same boat.

From what we have seen from him so far Flanno just doesn't have it in him to be the player we need at number 7 and no amount of talk will change that

At this stage we are stuck with him for this year and I guess we can hope for a miracle that he can miraculously turn into the player we want...but then again pigs might fly

I wish he took a page out of Nico Hynes book last year. He didn't come out and predict it was gonna be his year , he was gonna do this and that. He just took the bull by the horns, had an outstanding year and ultimately was Dally M player of the year....one difference is that Nico Hynes is highly skilled and talented and killed it in his first year of playing at 7

Flanno has played 7 his whole career and is still nowhere near the mark

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Ciraldo left him out of on field strategy leadership.

Mahoney got the role with Burton.

Reynolds a 33 year old outplays him in the trial.

Time is up, it’s time to go!

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
His confidence will be shot from that trial with the sharks imo. He had full control of the team and didn’t lay a glove on them.

then he got applauded for being subbed off lol

Taylforth

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I just wish he'd shut up and let his football do the talking, or the condemning of him.

I know the media keep approaching him for interviews. But so far the way Kyle Flanagan being himself appears to me is, guy loves to give an interview and blame coaches for trying to make him something he's not, generally having a mouth that writes cheques his talent isn't cashing etc.

I don't have anything against him, but FFS just shut up and play football. Decline interviews please.
Both TPJ & Flanagan are like twins in one sense only. Both blame others or external factors for their performance limitations. Both have given inspired appraisals of CC (breathe of fresh air, new lease of life etc etc) & his positive impact on themselves. They both need “coddling”. Ok just shut up now & just do it.

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
His confidence will be shot from that trial with the sharks imo. He had full control of the team and didn’t lay a glove on them.

then he got applauded for being subbed off lol
Not the first he has been clapped off after being hooked