EV's

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
What are you looking for in a car?

If you want a decent size car, but not an SUV, you have the Polestar 2, KIA EV6, if you want SUV style, there is the XC40 and C40 from Volvo.

all depends what you need from a car,

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
What are you looking for in a car?

If you want a decent size car, but not an SUV, you have the Polestar 2, KIA EV6, if you want SUV style, there is the XC40 and C40 from Volvo.

all depends what you need from a car,
#1 speed for price. Not crazy but if I can run off most lane splitting non racing bikes up to 750s I'm happy.
#2 enjoyable ride. Not likely this one as anything that sticks the missus is gunna veto
#3 resale. happy to spend the cash, not bleed though. So no Hyundais allowed.
#4 personal respect. So no Hyundais allowed.

Yeah - sort of ended up with what you've said. More I look into this though - the tech is just stupid. Can someone make a fckng simple EV without 120 different driving options?

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I've been driving EV's for around 12 years and have accumulated a few tips;

EV's are good for the daily commute, where the stop start traffic lets them regenerate
Home charging, if you have it, is the only way to go, fast charging will cost around the same as buying petrol for the same distance travelled
EV's don't carry loads very well, it decreases their range noticeably
Same with towing, drops their range dramatically
Cold and hot weather also affect their range adversely

There are basically 2 main types of EV batteries, NMC and LFP
NMC batteries have higher energy density which gives more driving range for their weight and they will accept faster charging rates.
NMC batteries should not be charged over 80% to 90% and run down not below 10% regularly
NMC batteries are more common than LFP to have thermal runaway
LFP batteries have lower energy density, which gives less driving range for their weight and are more sensitive to cold temperatures
LFP batteries are OK to charge to 100% regularly
There is a 3rd type of battery, NCA but they are not used much any more

Range anxiety is a thing, you are constantly aware of how far it is telling you that it can go, watching it drop like a stone on the freeway is particularly attention grabbing.

When travelling allow for recharging times and there are often queues, particularly at fast chargers.
Just because the predicted range is, say, 300 km don't plan on driving 300 km and then looking for a charger, like you would a petrol station.
I find myself planning ahead, working out where to stop so that I don't get that anxious feeling, that usually results in, say, 250 km stops.

If you have any questions just ask.

You coffee bill will increase as you buy one to pass the time while you wait recharging. I don't drink coffee so I take a book, I have read a lot of books.

Always a Bulldog

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
well your obviously embarrassed to admit it… can’t be much… like the chihuahuas
Embarrassed? Nope. Only way that would be if I drive a Hyundai.

And u said u would guess. So keep guessing.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Embarrassed? Nope. Only way that would be if I drive a Hyundai.

And u said u would guess. So keep guessing.
The reason why I want to know is it gives the biggest indicator of your next car. So your Volvo is likely to result in another Volvo..

if you knew much about cars you wouldn’t be talking about the Nissan Z. It’s a distant way behind the supra for similar money..

for your own sake, read and watch a few reviews of the Nissan Z… it’s panned by most..

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
The reason why I want to know is it gives the biggest indicator of your next car. So your Volvo is likely to result in another Volvo..

if you knew much about cars you wouldn’t be talking about the Nissan Z. It’s a distant way behind the supra for similar money..

for your own sake, read and watch a few reviews of the Nissan Z… it’s panned by most..
3 paragraphs.
3 wrong statements.
Well done. Batting at 100.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
3 paragraphs.
3 wrong statements.
Well done. Batting at 100.
or better said, I have overrated you driving a Volvo.. it’s far worse than I thought

Your taste for the Nissan Z confirms my
Suspicions, it’s the poor cousin of the Toyota supra, everyone knows that…well except you.. come on it’s like someone going for the buck teeth version

Kung fu man

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally i wouldn't buy a Volvo if you gave me the money, my mate swore blind they were the best he had 3 first one complete brake overhaul (complete) at 30,000, second one the computer blew quoted some ridiculous amount for Volvo to fix 3rd was all wheel drive suv type sitting in the paddock with torsion bars broken.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
or better said, I have overrated you driving a Volvo.. it’s far worse than I thought

Your taste for the Nissan Z confirms my
Suspicions, it’s the poor cousin of the Toyota supra, everyone knows that…well except you.. come on it’s like someone going for the buck teeth version
Many here know what I drive. No one has ever criticised what I drive because its got cred. Unlike a Hyundai. Which is the Korean word for turd.

Nissan Z base price $73k. Supra $87k. $14k extra for extra performance on the track. Which is great, except I'm not tracking my daily driver. Its not that hard for someone who is smart. Of course, someone who is smart wouldn't be seen dead in a Hyundai.

@Kung fu man which all sounds like your mate bought 2nd hand. It happens. All that is done and dusted if under warranty. And I still remember the 1st model Ford Everest which went to Drive for a test drive and the engine went on and burnt the car to the ground during the testing. And that won car of the year for its model. Are Everest's shit? No idea but it happens.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
My wife has a PHEV Cupra Formentor. It’s a pretty good drive. Gets about 60k of straight EV mode.

Saw one today in the metal, it's fkn hot.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
My wife has a PHEV Cupra Formentor. It’s a pretty good drive. Gets about 60k of straight EV mode.

Wasn't really thinking Cupra but the Born looks very interesting. Fast off the line and the price is great. And looks like its not stupid with the tech. might give it a test drive.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Many here know what I drive. No one has ever criticised what I drive because its got cred. Unlike a Hyundai. Which is the Korean word for turd.

Nissan Z base price $73k. Supra $87k. $14k extra for extra performance on the track. Which is great, except I'm not tracking my daily driver. Its not that hard for someone who is smart. Of course, someone who is smart wouldn't be seen dead in a Hyundai.

@Kung fu man which all sounds like your mate bought 2nd hand. It happens. All that is done and dusted if under warranty. And I still remember the 1st model Ford Everest which went to Drive for a test drive and the engine went on and burnt the car to the ground during the testing. And that won car of the year for its model. Are Everest's shit? No idea but it happens.
so you want to buy a highly impractical sports car that doesn’t have sports car capability? Trade off all the practicality for poor sporty performance? So an impractical daily driver that doesn’t do the sporty stuff too well? Oh my..

you are an odd one.. cross shopping a pretend 2 seater sports car and a family EV? Start an EV thread and bag out Hyundai? Start an ev thread and ask about Nissans? Sound confused to me

decide wether you want a snarling burbling gurgling petrol powered car or a green limp wristed electric car? If you want sports car or a comfy daily driver?

It sounds like your budget is $73,000 but not a penny more (otherwise you would get the supra).. for this money you get a shitty EV, they are way overpriced compared to equivalent petrol car..

get a Subaru soltera ev or a Subaru forester + Subaru brz for same money..

Stop being ridiculous and grab yourself a Honda civic type R.. $73900 (if you can stretch $900) and you get a practical 4 seater, hatch practicality, drive modes for daily and sporty driving and proper track car for the fun stuff. Good resale

don’t be ridiculous and buy that silly Nissan Z or a cheap EV.

Last edited:

Kung fu man

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

FFS second hand nah all brand new!

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
so you want to buy a highly impractical sports car that doesn’t have sports car capability? Trade off all the practicality for poor sporty performance? So an impractical daily driver that doesn’t do the sporty stuff too well? Oh my..

you are an odd one.. cross shopping a pretend 2 seater sports car and a family EV? Start an EV thread and bag out Hyundai? Start an ev thread and ask about Nissans? Sound confused to me

decide wether you want a snarling burbling gurgling petrol powered car or a green limp wristed electric car? If you want sports car or a comfy daily driver?

It sounds like your budget is $73,000 but not a penny more (otherwise you would get the supra).. for this money you get a shitty EV, they are way overpriced and equivalent to a $30,000 petrol car if that.

Stop being ridiculous and grab yourself a Honda civic type R.. $73900 (if you can stretch $900) and you get a practical 4 seater, hatch practicality, drive modes for daily and sporty driving and proper track car for the fun stuff. Good resale

don’t be ridiculous and buy that silly Nissan Z or a cheap EV.
Happy to be called impractical and confused by a fool. A Hyundai fool - nuff said.

Base price. No one ever gets a car for base price so you can add all the extras on. I drive for fun as I work for home so I can go with the petrol guzzler or the EV. No biggy - my running costs are low and if I have to go tripping - take the missus's car.

Honestly - my bad for calling u into this thread but you have nothing to contribute. So you can leave now - bye.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Does anyone actually know when hydrogen motors will be released?

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Happy to be called impractical and confused by a fool. A Hyundai fool - nuff said.

Base price. No one ever gets a car for base price so you can add all the extras on. I drive for fun as I work for home so I can go with the petrol guzzler or the EV. No biggy - my running costs are low and if I have to go tripping - take the missus's car.

Honestly - my bad for calling u into this thread but you have nothing to contribute. So you can leave now - bye.
Hyundai are a great brand.. definitely the most innovative brand, a powerhouse car maker. you dunno what your missing.. get the Nissan before they go bust.