Ethan Quai-Ward

Dogiezz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
People do realise that this bloke was probably only signed to fill a spot in the top 30 as clubs are required to fill all spots by a certain date? We bought a cheapie and have been able to move him on as he is now surplus to requirements
Stop speaking logic, doesn't work with these negative trolls

Dogs79

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If he wants to voluntarily leave the doggs top 30 for a qld cup gig then our problems are worse than we can even imagine
You get told that you are not in the future plans for FG and will see out the 2024 season in NSW cup or lower or you can go ‘Home’ and be with your family, friends and play the equivalent of QLD cup. I’d take the offer to be with my family, friends and not isolated in Sydney for a further 12mths. It’s an easy decision for most to walk away. I’m sure it also comes with some form of compensation.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You get told that you are not in the future plans for FG and will see out the 2024 season in NSW cup or lower or you can go ‘Home’ and be with your family, friends and play the equivalent of QLD cup. I’d take the offer to be with my family, friends and not isolated in Sydney for a further 12mths. It’s an easy decision for most to walk away. I’m sure it also comes with some form of compensation.
That doesn’t work in with little Nashy’s love for conspiracy theory’s mate … he has this odd force field around him that repels common sense …

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Really? So as a young player wanting a go are you willing to sign with the dogs atm knowing you can get a tap on the shoulder at any time. Contract or no contract? I’m not saying in this instance it’s the wrong move as I didn’t rate him but what I’m saying is you are dragging your credentials through the mud with this club and juniors if you just sign players for 2-3 years then offload them within the year or after the one year… Nu brown, pele etc etc it’s not a good look. What do the other players also think about it. The so called building cohesion is a load of bs in this instance!

He was given a chance to prove himself and turned out to be a dud with a turning circle of a semi trailer. Credentials werent dragged through the mud by anyone but himself. Mans thinks he knows whats going on in players heads lmao youre reaching so hard.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Welcome to NasheedWorld, when the Roosters aren't rorting the cap, but the Dogs ARE... :tearsofjoy:
It’s very suspicious Gould always manages to shed players without any questions asked. Players who dont have elsewhere.
Even if you buy the idea Ethan chose to voluntarily give up his gig out if homesickness to play Qld cup, doesn’t explain why it happens to others

Robdog111

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I’m on the Gus train myself but I’m also getting to the point where I’m on the fence atm. I do not see much positives coming from the 2 years he has been here in relation to grade results. Yes I’m happy he is building the junior base but before he arrived he told everyone it’ll be 2 years before we can get out of this cap mess… next minute he is signing players and letting them go (still paying freight) instantly and we are yet to solve our biggest issue in forwards and a decent half… I’m hoping I’m wrong but from the excuses he keeps making these days, it’s wearing thin… now he keeps saying he doesn’t know how long he can get us out of this mess…. Expect a bottom 4 result next season if he doesn’t have something spectacular up his sleeve regarding recruitment. Signing Taffe, Crichton, and a few others ain’t gona make sweet f all for us next season!
So the 1st year was clearing out Trent Barrett and terrible signings like DWZ who was on $800k.
The 2nd year was and still is clearing out bad signings and players with bad attitudes.
I can clearly see green shoots....it's sad you cannot.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It’s very suspicious Gould always manages to shed players without any questions asked. Players who dont have elsewhere.
Even if you buy the idea Ethan chose to voluntarily give up his gig out if homesickness to play Qld cup, doesn’t explain why it happens to others
How is it suspicious?
Gus knows how to do his job simple.

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The club still has to pay the outstanding amount of his salary. He was cut to get the roster below 30. It was another failed signing. There was coverage of Gus watching local games in Brisbane over the Magic Round. He was signed to replace Averillo and Alamoti.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
How is it suspicious?
Gus knows how to do his job simple.
Probably has get out clauses built into contracts for these types of "hit or miss" "take a chance on them", "give 'em an opportunity" signings where both parties test the water and can mutually decide on retention?

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Probably has get out clauses built into contracts for these types of "hit or miss" "take a chance on them", "give 'em an opportunity" signings where both parties test the water and can mutually decide on retention?
Exactly people think they know everything about Gus as if they live in his pocket.
Gus is a smart operator.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly people think they know everything about Gus as if they live in his pocket.
Gus is a smart operator.
You are right, I believe over the years Gus has become very good at balancing and managing salary caps ..

I’m sure he said in a podcast that his dad was an accountant and he was training to be one as well before he got his first footy gig.

He knows how much he has to play with, even if he has to pay a bit for 12 months for a player to play else where to free up a spot and they’re happy to go, he’d have it covered, maybe he had enough cap space to forward pay EQW’s small contract last season so he’s already all paid up …

Who knows … honestly It’s not a big deal, …. It’s just lil Nashy trolling with his conspiracy theory’s trying to get people triggered …

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gus is a smart operator.
Mate please look at Penrith and what he done. He could never manage a playing roster! He is a king at building the junior base and getting a club out of crap for the future but from what I have seen in the past and currently here at the dogs is that he does stupid shit like making rfm club captain and extending a injury prone player to 3 years, signs players for 2 year contracts and let’s then go within a year… you can’t expect players at the club to be happy with what’s going on player retention wise. I’d more then happy for Gus to concentrate on junior build up and getting the club out of shit for the future but I just don’t like what I’m seeing with the calls he is making for nsw cup and grade players.
Look at nsw cup last year he dropped the best performing players back to jersey so they can win something. He talks about building juniors when he gets rid of Alamoti and Averillo… not saying some don’t deserve to leave but the whole thing stinks. If we finish bottom 4 next year is Everyone still going to praise king gus with his recruitment?

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love Gus but it is time to start asking questions on some of the decisions...it is looking kinda transit lounge status.

Whilst we have this constant merry go round of unsuitable players, it must surely be hindering stability and growth of the good players they should really have been signing...it puts us back further.

Still think that Gus is our main "fixer" and that it will take time...but....we need to have some consistency in the roster soon and minimise signing these unsuitable types that aren't gonna get us anywhere.
I agree the issue is gus is on a 5 year contract with a 5 year option in his favour… could tanking it a little be on the cards due to being the king at the club and no one questioning him? I’m not sure as it’s prob just something I’m over thinking but for us to be in the position we are with out a decent half and decent forward pack in 2024 with a fair chunk of cap space is all on gus. There was heaps of options in 2022 for 2024 positions and he signed fuck all. The ones he did sign are either gone or duds and the good ones got snatched up by other clubs… food for thought I guess.