Not open for further replies.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
Home-grown rule introduced
Premier League clubs must limit squad sizes to 25

Last updated: 14th September 2009

The Premier League have introduced a home-grown player rule which will come into effect from next season, alongside a limit on squad sizes.

From the 2010/11 campaign, the 20 Premier League clubs have voted to introduce measures which will see all teams required to have eight home-grown players out of a squad of 25.

Chief executive Richard Scudamore confirmed the changes, with clubs only able to make alterations to their squads during the two transfer windows.

"As of next season clubs will be required to have a squad named of up to 25 players, of which no more than 17 can be over the age of 21 and not home grown," Scudamore said.

"The definition of home grown is trained for three years under the age of 21 by somebody in the English and Welsh professional system.

"Clubs will have to declare their 25 at the end of August when the window shuts and then again at the end of January."
Incentive

Scudamore does not believe the move will encourage clubs to hoard young foreign players and claims the England team will ultimately reap the reward.

"It's not in the club's interests to stockpile players. It will make buying home-grown talent more attractive," he said.

"We're not going down the route of a nationality test but what this will mean is that you just can't buy a team from abroad.

"We think it will give clubs an extra incentive to invest in youth. We think that one of the benefits will be that it will help the England team."

All 20 Premier League members also agreed to adhere to a set of financial reporting rules designed to protect the viability and sustainability of the clubs.

Finances

"They will all have to annually submit accounts and future financial information," said Scudamore.

"At all times the board of the Premier League will be applying a test which basically says this: can the club fulfil its fixtures, pay off its creditors when they are due and also to meet obligations to the Premier League's contracts and partners?

"If the board believe a club is at risk of not meeting those obligations, it has to then step in and agree a budget for the running of that club. Any transfers can be embargoed.

"It's absolutely crucial that these clubs are run as ongoing viable concerns. These financial rules apply immediately.

"This is tied in, and we passed the rule during the summer, to a 'fit and proper person test'. At our club meeting last week, the clubs absolutely endorsed our position of not linking expenditure to income."
Sky Sports | Football News | Premier League | Manchester United | Home-grown rule introduced
dev1l is offline Reply With Quote

MeskBrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
should work out easy, this has been a rule in football manager for AGES,

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
this is silly

17 players over 21 years old

im sure the big clubs will still employ more overage world class players to play just cup matches or europe matches

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Silly rule. Good in theory but will be difficult to put into practice.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
we only need to send 2 players out on loan and we are fine. and there is our 25 man squad.
i meant the football manager thing, you are talking about the champions league registration

btw congratulations for making the champions league in that game

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
ok man utd next season, i actually think you have to make big cuts to get your squad down to 25 and 17 fully grown men

can you name who you would register under these rules to prove my point

MeskBrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i meant the football manager thing, you are talking about the champions league registration

btw congratulations for making the champions league in that game
thanks mate, i had about 100mil to spend after selling carrick/berbatov and owen, and bought hamsik/gourcuff/jovetic and iker munain, that led me to CL Glory.

MeskBrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok man utd next season, i actually think you have to make big cuts to get your squad down to 25 and 17 fully grown men

can you name who you would register under these rules to prove my point
Van Der Sar
Foster
Kuszczak
Neville
Brown
O’shea
Evra
Ferdinand
Vidic
J.Evans
Carrick
Hargreaves
Scholes
Anderson
Fletcher
Gibson
Giggs
Nani
Tosic
Valencia
Park
Rooney
Berbatov
Owen
Diouf

--------
dont need to be reg

Amos
Zieler
Rafael
Fabio
Cathcart
Chester
Brandy
Cleverley
Possebon
Smalling
Macheda
And, anyone else who is 20 or younger

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Van Der Sar
Foster
Kuszczak
Neville
Brown
O’shea
Evra
Ferdinand
Vidic
J.Evans
Carrick
Hargreaves
Scholes
Anderson
Fletcher
Gibson
Giggs
Nani
Tosic
Valencia
Park
Rooney
Berbatov
Owen
Diouf

--------
dont need to be reg

Amos
Zieler
Rafael
Fabio
Cathcart
Chester
Brandy
Cleverley
Possebon
Smalling
Macheda
And, anyone else who is 20 or younger
i thought you had to name 25 players in total and that only 17 of that 25 can be overage

at least thats how it reads in the article

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
oh we talking about CL lol?
wait im confused about this discussion:p

in that squad that you named, not all those players can play in the premier league

MeskBrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those who don’t know or have forgotten, next season every team in the premiership needs to register a 25 man squad before the summer window closes. But the rule says you’re allowed unlimited players under the age of 21. (had to research this, and im sure you need to be 20 or younger come 1st January the year the season begins).

-So anyone born in 1988 or before has to be in the 25 man squad to play any part for us.
-Anyone born in 1989 or after don’t.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
For those who don’t know or have forgotten, next season every team in the premiership needs to register a 25 man squad before the summer window closes. But the rule says you’re allowed unlimited players under the age of 21. (had to research this, and im sure you need to be 20 or younger come 1st January the year the season begins).

-So anyone born in 1988 or before has to be in the 25 man squad to play any part for us.
-Anyone born in 1989 or after don’t.
this thread original article suggests a different rule

MeskBrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
this thread original article suggests a different rule
EPL introduce Home-grown rule
Premier League clubs must limit squad sizes to 25

Last updated: 14th September 2009

i have nfi if that matters, from the orig post

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
oh ok it probably has been updated further

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
this is actually a good rule...

this would also stop clubs like man city and chelsea spending money on players and it would also stop rafa from abusing the reserves and youth system in our club

Status
Not open for further replies.