England cagey over Graham RLWC axing

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bulldogs star James Graham has been left out of England's side to face Australia.
Cagey England rugby league coach Steve McNamara has refused to detail the reason for James Graham's surprise omission from the squad to face Australia in Saturday's World Cup opener.

The Canterbury enforcer, one of England's star forwards, will not face the Kangaroos at Cardiff's Millennium Stadium after being left out of a 19-man squad.

It is believed Graham was stood down for disciplinary reasons, with reports he was involved in the drinking session which led to Gareth Hock's expulsion from the tournament.

In a tense press conference in Wales on Friday, McNamara refused to discuss the decision to omit Graham and threatened several times to cut the interview short.

"There's seven very good players not playing this week," McNamara said when asked to clarify the decision.

"There are 17 that will play and there's another seven international standard players who are in the squad who aren't picked, so I'm not going to talk about any individual players.

"Those seven are all great players, great people and I'm sure they'll get to play a part in the rest of the tournament."

Pressed further on the issue, McNamara became agitated.

"Look, I just said I'm not going to talk about any individuals," the coach said.

"I'm not going to answer any more questions on it and if you want to continue asking questions on it then we'll wrap it up now. If you want to talk about the game, we're fine to do so."

McNamara eventually called time on the press conference when asked if Hock's exclusion from the squad was also off-limits.

"Of course it is. I've got to go anyway boys because the bus is going. See you tomorrow," he said.

England named a 19-man squad for the match and McNamara would not reveal who would be in his final 17 for the match.

All three Burgess brothers were in the squad, with Sam and George set to play though Tom is unlikely to make the final cut.

George and Tom are two of four uncapped players alongside Wigan backrower Liam Farrell and Huddersfield Giants forward Brett Ferres, a late replacement for Hock.

Hock, who failed to turn up for a swimming session on Sunday after sleeping in, claimed in a BBC interview on Wednesday that he was one of "six or seven" players who broke the seven-day alcohol ban in the wake of England's shock defeat by Italy at Salford on Saturday.

Complaining that he had been made a scapegoat, Hock claimed that McNamara had told him that the other players involved in the breach of rules would also be disciplined.

McNamara was asked whether the squad had let him down in the lead-up to the tournament.

"I think the world of that squad, every single one of them and they'll all play a part during the World Cup," he said.

The coach was confident his team would bounce back strongly from a shock defeat to Italy in a pre-tournament warm-up match, describing the reaction of his players as "determined."

jimmy_the_greek

Bulldogs Fanatic
Reaction score
McNamara and Steve Sharp (Eels) would get on well.

If anything, hope this turns Graham away from homesick England when his contract is up.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Disappointing. Makes me wonder if there is an attitude problem in the Dogs' affecting all our players.

Slick

Young Gun
Reaction score
Disappointing. Makes me wonder if there is an attitude problem in the Dogs' affecting all our players.
You don't hear of players such as Pritchard going around doing things that turned out to be stupid.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Graham would've made a difference last night.......He brings controlled aggression and experience. He would've told Burgess and Westwood to calm the fu#k down and stop giving away stupid penalties.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Graham would've made a difference last night.......He brings controlled aggression and experience. He would've told Burgess and Westwood to calm the fu#k down and stop giving away stupid penalties.
Rothspaz reckons he was dropped due to bad blood between him and Sam burgess. If they had've picked him instead of burgess last night, they would've won. Burgess gave away penalties at crucial times, missed two tackles that led to tries and nearly got sent off ! At least they don't have to worry about it next game, cause burgess will be suspended.

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm sure that there was a problem with the Bulldogs spirit throughout the season. But I'm just as sure it related to Ben Barba's pre season antics and then making it clear that he wanted out of the Bulldogs.

It was nothing to do with booze sessions or unsavoury behaviour by players off field. The Daily Telegraph would have taken great pleasure to hit us with their sensation and scandal type journalism if there was even a hint of it.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The situation was likely just a guy who hasn't seen his mates in a long time so decided to go for a drink with them.

I might add that he turned up to training and had no issues. The only reason it came to be an issue was because Hock didn't turn up to training and in all likelihood they wanted to make an example out of both of them.

The Dogfather

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The situation was likely just a guy who hasn't seen his mates in a long time so decided to go for a drink with them.

I might add that he turned up to training and had no issues. The only reason it came to be an issue was because Hock didn't turn up to training and in all likelihood they wanted to make an example out of both of them.
Only reason why Graham did not get axed is because England know that they need him. He should play in the next game. He brings so much to any rugby league team.

Malla

Reaction score
I heard it was due to issues with he and Sam Burgess. He should be back for the rest of the tournament with Burgess likely to miss the remaining games due to suspension.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I heard it was due to issues with he and Sam Burgess. He should be back for the rest of the tournament with Burgess likely to miss the remaining games due to suspension.
Graeme Hughes indicated on Talking Sport yesterday that there are issues between James Graham and Sam Burgess, and that James apparently can't wait for the next game against Souths. I seem to recall the last time we played Souths one of the Burgess boys got James late and high after he passed the ball, and the "Pink Panthers" missed it (as per usual).

PS Agree with Phil Rothfield in the Tele this morning, that Sam Burgess has got away with plenty this season and deserved more time off than he got and should get a good holiday for his hit on Thaiday. Whether he is a "thug" as Rothfield alleged or he is just a complete goose is hard to determine.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Graeme Hughes indicated on Talking Sport yesterday that there are issues between James Graham and Sam Burgess, and that James apparently can't wait for the next game against Souths. I seem to recall the last time we played Souths one of the Burgess boys got James late and high after he passed the ball, and the "Pink Panthers" missed it (as per usual).

PS Agree with Phil Rothfield in the Tele this morning, that Sam Burgess has got away with plenty this season and deserved more time off than he got and should get a good holiday for his hit on Thaiday. Whether he is a "thug" as Rothfield alleged or he is just a complete goose is hard to determine.
Doing a good job of promoting himself as one with his eye gauging and ball grabbing this year

Malla

Reaction score

Mate, think back to 2012... remember Sam Burgess winding up off the kick off and hitting Graham (late I believe) and Graham didn't move an inch? There's gotta be some issues there that date back to their time in the super league. Burgess is the golden child of England RL so he's always going to get the upper hand if it turns into a popularity contest but I'm so happy we have Bupa on our side. The much better player.

I saw Phil's article today. I tend to be leaning towards that he is a goose, but also a grub. ie. the Maloney choke this year should have seen him out for a few weeks at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.