Electric vs petrol cars

SexBomb

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Every Saturday night blue_boost is doing his research ahead of the next week.

on a sample of 339,000 vehicles in 2023 electric vehicles give 79% more problems than gas vehicles, plug in hybrids 146% more problems than gas vehicles and hybrids 26% less problems than gas vehicles.

I like
Spitting Out facts on a sunday morning
So a hybrid is the best bet at this point of time issue-wise.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It seems if you must go electric or worried about fuel hybrid is the most sorted technology..

a pure EV or plug in hybrid is a basketcase disaster

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Depends on the issue as "issues" is very vague and could include, "I can't figure out how to put petrol in my Tesla"

For example, Hybrids are most likely to catch fire, followed by ICE, followed by a full EV's. But I imagine if you ran out of petrol/energy, it would be much easier to get road side assist with a hybrid or ICE.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Read the report. It doesn't go into too much detail, but notes that plug-in hybrid and EV pick-ups are one of the key problems (this is a US consumer report). Also notes that US built vehicles are the least reliable (no surprise there), but Tesla have the most reliable EV's.

Hybrids seem to be carried by the fact that Toyota makes a large amount of them, and Toyota is the second most reliable car maker in the report. Lexus was rated as most reliable. But that makes sense because Lexus is owned by Toyota and most of their engineering is based on Toyota engineering.

Last edited:

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The people that wrote that article dont know that EV's have re-gen braking and the brakes actually wear out slower as EV drivers dont use them as much

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
The people that wrote that article dont know that EV's have re-gen braking and the brakes actually wear out slower as EV drivers dont use them as much
Yeah but those cars have no power. They aren't fun to drive.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah but those cars have no power. They aren't fun to drive.
EV's? Nah, they have heaps of power and more torque than any ICE vehicle. But they aren't that fun to drive.

They can be super sporty, but they do it while sounding like a silent fart. No real grunt.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
You missed the last sentence.

However, EV fires are rare — and much less common that fires in petrol and diesel vehicles.

I'm far from an EV lover. but more than happy to further the discussion when valid points are raised and/or questions asked.

Always a Bulldog

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You missed the last sentence.

However, EV fires are rare — and much less common that fires in petrol and diesel vehicles.

I'm far from an EV lover. but more than happy to further the discussion when valid points are raised and/or questions asked.

Always a Bulldog
Its because there are far less EVs sold than petrol... Also about 100 years of old petrol cars on our roads..

Petrol Cars mostly catch fire due to insurance jobs, electric cars (new ones) catch fire and its ferocious, an inferno to sink a ship.

Many years a go, a neighbours car caught fire in his driveaway. it was very small and he checked a bucket of carwash over it and drove away. A mechanic apparently left an oily rag under hood..

If an EV caught fire would half a bucket of carwash / water extinguish?

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A good comrade of mine just messaged me and said he saw a Tesla Support vehicle and it was a diesel ute :grinning:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I have had discussions about this subject many times, there is no escaping the fact that EV's take on average 45 minutes to charge from 10% to 80% and an ICEV takes 5 minutes to refuel from 0% to 100%. Sure there are faster EV chargers just as there are slower ones and not every regional location has the infrastructure to support very fast chargers. Until the electricity network is ungraded, which will take decades, there are always going to be charging rate limitations. It's frustrating enough sitting behind someone at a service station for 5 minutes, imagine waiting 45 minutes. With no alternative, it's not like there is another charging station a few minutes down the road and range anxiety is real.

The economics of EV charging stations is questionable, ChargePoint has already given up trying to make money out of EV recharging. The ratio of real estate required versus the turnover per sq metre per day is abysmally poor. The EV charging model of swipe your card at the charger is also far from ideal when the majority of margin in a service station comes not from the petrol they sell but from what you buy inside. This is already obvious with the cost of recharging at charging stations pretty much matching the cost of fuel at service stations in a $ per Km calculation.

In 13 years of driving EV's my biggest gripe is the loss of time, EV's are simply not very efficient in the distance covered versus time spent equation. I have had many 4 hour trips in an ICEV ending up 6 hour trips in an EV, I have even had a 9 hour journey turn into 14 hours during a school holiday trip.

Always a Bulldog

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had discussions about this subject many times, there is no escaping the fact that EV's take on average 45 minutes to charge from 10% to 80% and an ICEV takes 5 minutes to refuel from 0% to 100%. Sure there are faster EV chargers just as there are slower ones and not every regional location has the infrastructure to support very fast chargers. Until the electricity network is ungraded, which will take decades, there are always going to be charging rate limitations. It's frustrating enough sitting behind someone at a service station for 5 minutes, imagine waiting 45 minutes. With no alternative, it's not like there is another charging station a few minutes down the road and range anxiety is real.

The economics of EV charging stations is questionable, ChargePoint has already given up trying to make money out of EV recharging. The ratio of real estate required versus the turnover per sq metre per day is abysmally poor. The EV charging model of swipe your card at the charger is also far from ideal when the majority of margin in a service station comes not from the petrol they sell but from what you buy inside. This is already obvious with the cost of recharging at charging stations pretty much matching the cost of fuel at service stations in a $ per Km calculation.

In 13 years of driving EV's my biggest gripe is the loss of time, EV's are simply not very efficient in the distance covered versus time spent equation. I have had many 4 hour trips in an ICEV ending up 6 hour trips in an EV, I have even had a 9 hour journey turn into 14 hours during a school holiday trip.

Always a Bulldog
The realities hit hard.. what seems like a free running cost isnt free at all.

In your example you mentioned it would be frustrating for an EV driver to have to wait 45 mins for a charge station.. what if there is 2-3 EV cars in the line before you? They all want to charge to 100% too.. it could be 3-4 hours before you even begin to charge yours..

Whilst the petrol driver is home n hosed, feet up.