Electric vs petrol cars

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yup, Hertz was looking to offset this affect by an arrangement with Uber, half the EVs they were going to get would be used for ridesharing, which (it was thought) would balance things out because of the expectation of reasonable equivalence of fuel savings because Uber driver == private owner. Unfortunately, it has turned out that Uber driver <> private owner in that they trash the vehicle a lot more, which is a key reason the service cost climbed.

But never mind the details when a snappy headline matches your lazy preconceptions, right?
as the trains were stuffed today, i got a Didi to work, it was a Telsa Model Y, standard range, the guy had done 40,000 KM in 7 months.

still looked mint and was smooth as, but he said his servicing cost was 0

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
as the trains were stuffed today, i got a Didi to work, it was a Telsa Model Y, standard range, the guy had done 40,000 KM in 7 months.

Wait until the battery starts to wear.
That 7 months of 40,000km efficiency will be a distant memory!

SexBomb

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need a new mower and someone I know suggested an electric mower. I was about to hit them with a mike Tyson liver body blow followed by an uppercut. Petrol mower for me and petrol car for me.
An electric mower for most people is more than adequate for their needs, and easier in a lot of cases.
You can even get electric ride-ons set up for commercial use, so residential use would be a breeze in most instances.
As usual, horses for courses.
If you own 5 acres that require mowing, an electric push mower is not going to be your friend.
As with anything, avoid the cheap shit, unless it is to dip your toes in before going all in.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Things are a lot more feasible as a ride share operator when you have 0 servicing cost. When that 0 is due to someone else picking up the tab, more people tend to squander it. Hertz did the numbers but neglected the human factor. There are other factors of course. Speaking of Didi, the rate of EVs being used in China for such purposes is growing continually, but key to this is the availability of low cost units. This aspect alone in China compared to the situation in the US is like night and day.

SexBomb

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't help but wonder what the sales figures as a percentage are for cheap v premium EV's.
I suspect that the uptake is predominately cheap and nasty crap that will be largely useless post-warranty period.
This will result in a significant recycling issue, which needs to be addressed with legislation introduced that companies are liable for their products at the end of the cycle and for waste materials.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

"Australians bought more than one million conventional petrol and diesel-powered new vehicles last year, but there’s no denying the rapid growth of electric cars in our market, which topped 87,000 units in 2023.

This new record marker of 87,217 EV sales represents a 161 per cent increase over 2022 – almost 54,000 cars – and accounted for 7.2 per cent of total industry sales in what was an all-time record high of 1.217 million units across all types of new vehicles"

Of course EV sales are up so much from a very low base to start with.. lol... Its more about their availability than demand. They are starting to pile up in dealerships, that is a fact..

Last edited:

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are not piling up at dealer, there is a month or two wait as so many people want them
MattyB I know someone very high up in one of the largest vehicle manufacturers that tell me they are frantically looking for real estate to store vehicles that are banking up.. interest rates etc, people buying cheaper cars, EVs are pricing themselves out of the market, banking up.. wait for the discounting to come back and 0% finance subvention deals etc. I heard it from the horses mouth.

Last edited:

SexBomb

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
MattyB I know someone very high up in one of the largest vehicle manufacturers that tell me they are frantically looking for real estate to store vehicles that are banking up.. interest rates etc, people buying cheaper cars, EVs are pricing themselves out of the market, banking up.. wait for the discounting to come back and 0% finance subvention deals etc. I heard it from the horses mouth.
What country is the brand from?

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a side note to the way people are…

I noticed something that we all see everyday..

There is a couple that go to my Gym and they frequently come in a jeep SRT.. big loud v8 and they park near the door of the gym. They seem to like to make an entrance as it’s a nice car..

but I just arrived at my gym and I see the same couple in a old pulsar but parked almost as far as possible from the gym with plenty of parks available closer and they get out and walk… are they embarrassed? :grinning:

people are funny like that, wanna show off if they think they can and hide all the bad bits

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

There is a couple that go to my Gym and they frequently come in a jeep SRT.. big loud v8 and they park near the door of the gym. They seem to like to make an entrance as it’s a nice car..

but I just arrived at my gym and I see the same couple in a old pulsar but parked almost as far as possible from the gym with plenty of parks available closer and they get out and walk… are they embarrassed? :grinning:

people are funny like that, wanna show off if they think they can and hide all the bad bits
I'm actually the opposite. I park the beast far away (from other cars) and park the corolla as close as i can lol

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have had small leaks, which i have had fixed for free as i got my Tyres from Costco Tyre Centre, they fix them for free as long as they are able, so even with my space saver i have been ok
That's good. But if you are driving around Longreach and Winton, as I plan to do, a temporary would be a poor choice to take.
Fortunately, some cars will accept a full size spare, but these must be an after sales purchase.
Smaller SUVs, like the Seltos, come with a full size alloy spare. Others, like Corolla Cross, will take a full size spare at your cost.
Hybrids are harder to find with a full size spare. RAV4 offer a full size spare with one of its hybrid models.

If you're mainly city driving, a temp is fine.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score

Some people feel that a car is a status symbol.

I usually keep a car for 12 years or more. My cars still look as new. As long as it is serviced regularly, kept clean, and looked after, a car should run for many years.

I'm about to upgrade now, looking for a small SUV, and surprised at the range, but so many without a full size spare.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score

I usually keep a car for 12 years or more. My cars still look as new. As long as it is serviced regularly, kept clean, and looked after, a car should run for many years.

I'm about to upgrade now, looking for a small SUV, and surprised at the range, but so many without a full size spare.
I got a ride from my mate last night in his Valiant ute which he's owned since 1988.
He's gone through a few engines and diffs but the thing is still going strong!

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I’m having trouble remembering the last car I had that didn’t have a space saver spare. My 1990 Twin Turbo has a space saver spare, that’s 34 years. If I do any heavy duty 4WD’ing I take 2 full sized spares, I have needed to use 2 spares only once, but good job I had them.

I wouldn’t be at all comfortable relying on a puncture repair kit, I’d replace it with at least a space saver spare.

Always a Bulldog

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I got a ride from my mate last night in his Valiant ute which he's owned since 1988.
He's gone through a few engines and diffs but the thing is still going strong!
Back in the early 70s I had a Corolla 1200, four speed manual. Drove that across the Nullarbor, in the days when the Eyre Highway was unsealed. Took it along fire trails, and rough country roads. It ran like a little sewing machine. Kept it serviced - even had a free service in Esperance, as the dealer was so impressed that I had the confidence to drive it from Sydney. He posted a photo of it in his dealership to show what Corollas were capable of.

I sold it to fund a trip overseas, to work in London. Still miss that little car. Unbreakable.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

thats another pro for petrol cars, longevity.. the EVs will have battery degradation and cost a bomb to keep on the road, plus new EVs will fast supersede them and make them an embarrassment to own.

petrol cars have a charm to them much like a mechanical watch.. non car guys don’t get it, they buy an EV

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
thats another pro for petrol cars, longevity.. the EVs will have battery degradation and cost a bomb to keep on the road, plus new EVs will fast supersede them and make them an embarrassment to own.

petrol cars have a charm to them much like a mechanical watch.. non car guys don’t get it, they buy an EV
I'm torn between buying an ICE or Hybrid. Prefer the ICE, but changes are coming to emissions, and the Euro 6 is likely to be law very soon.

In the next few years fuel might also become more expensive, so I have to think long term if I'm going to keep the next car for 10 years or more.

Diesel is an option, but there are no small diesel SUVs - and I am limited in space to house a car. Even a medium SUV would be a tight fit in my garage.

A Hybrid might have to be the choice.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Back in the early 70s I had a Corolla 1200, four speed manual. Drove that across the Nullarbor, in the days when the Eyre Highway was unsealed. Took it along fire trails, and rough country roads. It ran like a little sewing machine. Kept it serviced - even had a free service in Esperance, as the dealer was so impressed that I had the confidence to drive it from Sydney. He posted a photo of it in his dealership to show what Corollas were capable of.

I sold it to fund a trip overseas, to work in London. Still miss that little car. Unbreakable.
I miss the 1970's models vehicles.
When I was a kid they were my favourite to ride in.
So spacious and it is as safe as riding in a tank.

I asked my mate which model his Valiant is?
He said it's the CL 1976, last ever year they produced it.

He is game still driving it around the city and parking!

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm torn between buying an ICE or Hybrid. Prefer the ICE, but changes are coming to emissions, and the Euro 6 is likely to be law very soon.

In the next few years fuel might also become more expensive, so I have to think long term if I'm going to keep the next car for 10 years or more.

Diesel is an option, but there are no small diesel SUVs - and I am limited in space to house a car. Even a medium SUV would be a tight fit in my garage.

A Hybrid might have to be the choice.
if it’s a car that is doing plenty of km, hybrid seems like a solid choice. No bullshit charging and they are cheap to run. I’ve driven a hybrid Camry and it’s great for a good day to day workhorse.

if it’s toy fun car I’d go petrol every time..

Looks like EV takes last place