Electric vs petrol cars

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
The solution for Australia is a hybrid, which gives the benefits of an EV for short drives, and still allows for long distance country driving.

The problem with hybrids in this country is that many cars come with puncture repair kits instead of full size spare tyres.
Some have temporary spares that can be replaced with full size spares in the wheel well (at extra cost) -but others have batteries that take up that space. It's all about saving weight and cost for the manufacturer.

In Australia, a full size spare is essential.

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
When you tow in an ICE car, it reduces your range, this isn't new.

50K while towing is no issue either, as any EV that can tow will have a range of 300-400 KM, which will reduce by half, similar to an ICE vehicle

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The solution for Australia is a hybrid, which gives the benefits of an EV for short drives, and still allows for long distance country driving.

The problem with hybrids in this country is that many cars come with puncture repair kits instead of full size spare tyres.
Some have temporary spares that can be replaced with full size spares in the wheel well (at extra cost) -but others have batteries that take up that space. It's all about saving weight and cost for the manufacturer.

For a slow leak, you can use a can of that spray crap to fill it while you drive to get it replaced, i agree at least a space saver is needed, that's all i have in my ICE car

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
When you tow in an ICE car, it reduces your range, this isn't new.

50K while towing is no issue either, as any EV that can tow will have a range of 300-400 KM, which will reduce by half, similar to an ICE vehicle
In my experience (towing for over 30 years) a proper towing ICEV benefits from freeway driving compared to city driving by 10% to 15% and then loses 15% to 25% towing. In comparison an EV looses 10% to 15% from freeway driving compared to commuting in traffic (no regeneration) and then loses 20% to 30% towing.

My current ICEV tow master does 800 km around town on a tank and 650 km towing. The most recent EV I towed with (Mercedes EQB) did 400 km around town and 250 km towing. Basically when using an EV I have had to recharge 2 to 3 times more often and it takes 15 to 20 times longer to recharge.

Always a Bulldog

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree... I bought a particular car that in other markets comes with a puncture repair
that's not true, EV's have the power available to them all day, i had a BYD Atto 3 for a week, drove it hard all week and it didn't miss a beat
My point being drive them hard and the range will be gone in 5 minutes.. I wiped off 80km range in a performance EV in 5 minutes of driving. It was fast yes but I had to stop and park it up, otherwise the owner would not have made it back home.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Audi, Volkswagen, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW. All of the major German car manufacturers make EV models.

Plus, around 25% of the population of Germany drive EV's. The only difference in Germany is that the EV government incentive ended. The Australian one also ended. Most of them are ending because EV rollouts and sales are at the stage where the government doesn't need to push them any more.
yes true what you say but for such premium brands it’s obvious that EV is not their focus. I guess they don’t want to damage their brand reputation

dodgy brands seem to really focus on EV as they don’t care if they upset their customer as there is no heritage etc.. they have a burn and churn approach to their customer whilst premium brand has legacy and heritage with rusted on customers they seek to preserve

Last edited:

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
yes true what you say but for such premium brands it’s obvious that EV is not their focus. I guess they don’t want to damage their brand reputation

dodgy brands seem to really focus on EV as they don’t care if they upset their customer as there is no heritage etc.. they have a burn and churn approach to their customer whilst premium brand has legacy and heritage with rusted on customers they seek to preserve
Nope. They're all bringing in heaps of new EV's. It's just smart business. Big uptake in EV's for private, but even more for commercial. Higher sale percentage, higher service costs.

The only loss on EV's is to the petrol sellers. The car companies are guaranteed a profit. Pretty stupid not to invest in EV's.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nope. They're all bringing in heaps of new EV's. It's just smart business. Big uptake in EV's for private, but even more for commercial. Higher sale percentage, higher service costs.

The only loss on EV's is to the petrol sellers. The car companies are guaranteed a profit. Pretty stupid not to invest in EV's.
the reality is that EVs are piling up at dealers with all the early adopters (suckers) already bought .. the remaining people have common sense and see through the EV tomfoolery. They are more expensive, cost more to repair, more to insure, Australia don’t have a good charging network and they have poor range.

People are saving their money and buying a proven petrol car

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
the reality is that EVs are piling up at dealers with all the early adopters (suckers) already bought .. the remaining people have common sense and see through the EV tomfoolery. They are more expensive, cost more to repair, more to insure, Australia don’t have a good charging network and they have poor range.

"Australians bought more than one million conventional petrol and diesel-powered new vehicles last year, but there’s no denying the rapid growth of electric cars in our market, which topped 87,000 units in 2023.

This new record marker of 87,217 EV sales represents a 161 per cent increase over 2022 – almost 54,000 cars – and accounted for 7.2 per cent of total industry sales in what was an all-time record high of 1.217 million units across all types of new vehicles"

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

They are not piling up at dealer, there is a month or two wait as so many people want them

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
They are not piling up at dealer, there is a month or two wait as so many people want them
Hybrids are even worse right now. The Rav4 hybrid has a 12-18 month wait.

sideswip

Kennel Established
Reaction score
didnt Hertz just get rid of the EV cars fleet , they state they were all to expensive to maintain... So much for Commercial applications.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
didnt Hertz just get rid of the EV cars fleet , they state they were all to expensive to maintain... So much for Commercial applications.
Where most people fail is believing car manufacturers are looking out for our best interests!

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
For a slow leak, you can use a can of that spray crap to fill it while you drive to get it replaced, i agree at least a space saver is needed, that's all i have in my ICE car
If you slash the tyre, a puncture repair kit won't help.

Even worse if you're out in the country with no mobile reception to call for assistance.

A temporary spare has to be replaced after use, and that's another $300-$400 on top of repairing the damaged tyre. That has to come from the dealership, not a country service station.

We need full size spares because you never know what might happen with the condition of Australian roads.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Different thing. Hertz don't pay per km. The customer does. Any commercial business using aa vehicle for day to day ends up saving on electric. Hence why commercial suppliers are buying up EV's and Hybrids. In their case the service cost is offset by the fuel savings. Hire car companies don't save on fuel. The customer is the only one that saves.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Different thing. Hertz don't pay per km. The customer does. Any commercial business using aa vehicle for day to day ends up saving on electric. Hence why commercial suppliers are buying up EV's and Hybrids. In their case the service cost is offset by the fuel savings. Hire car companies don't save on fuel. The customer is the only one that saves.
Yup, Hertz was looking to offset this affect by an arrangement with Uber, half the EVs they were going to get would be used for ridesharing, which (it was thought) would balance things out because of the expectation of reasonable equivalence of fuel savings because Uber driver == private owner. Unfortunately, it has turned out that Uber driver <> private owner in that they trash the vehicle a lot more, which is a key reason the service cost climbed.

But never mind the details when a snappy headline matches your lazy preconceptions, right?

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
If you slash the tyre, a puncture repair kit won't help.

Even worse if you're out in the country with no mobile reception to call for assistance.

A temporary spare has to be replaced after use, and that's another $300-$400 on top of repairing the damaged tyre. That has to come from the dealership, not a country service station.

We need full size spares because you never know what might happen with the condition of Australian roads.
I have had small leaks, which i have had fixed for free as i got my Tyres from Costco Tyre Centre, they fix them for free as long as they are able, so even with my space saver i have been ok