Electric vs petrol cars

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
EV buyers are early adopters (suckers)… they think to themselves does it get better than this

Like the attached picture, they bought the first phone back then with the monster battery pack… batteries will evolve and in 10 years time they may do the 500km range, charge in 5 minutes, cost less than half and weigh 15kg instead of 500kg.. but these early adopter EV buffoons can’t be told

Attachments

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
EV buyers are early adopters (suckers)… they think to themselves does it get better than this

Like the attached picture, they bought the first phone back then with the monster battery pack… batteries will evolve and in 10 years time they may do the 500km range, charge in 5 minutes, cost less than half and weigh 15kg instead of 500kg.. but these early adopter EV buffoons can’t be told
#Trolling.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
#Trolling.
Did you not learn from the first mobile phone?

You would have to have your head in the sand not to think EV will evolve to make todays EVs an embarrassment..

im just trying to say hold your horses, don’t rush out and be the early adopter / development mule

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Did you not learn from the first mobile phone?

You would have to have your head in the sand not to think EV will evolve to make todays EVs an embarrassment..

im just trying to say hold your horses, don’t rush out and be the early adopter / development mule
Yes but you've said the same thing 30 times. You're not adding anything new to the conversation. Did you think that anyone missed the other 29 times? I didn't.

#Trolling.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes but you've said the same thing 30 times. You're not adding anything new to the conversation. Did you think that anyone missed the other 29 times? I didn't.

#Trolling.
well if you had listened you wouldn’t be advocating an EV like you do for the last 30 pages.. if you want to be an early adopter / sucker go ahead… but don’t try convince other kennel members to be ripped off also

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
well if you had listened you wouldn’t be advocating an EV like you do for the last 30 pages.. if you want to be an early adopter / sucker go ahead… but don’t try convince other kennel members to be ripped off also
Well done. Good on you for your community service.

Now you can stop trolling.

Precise

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Everyone I know replaces their car every 2 years regardless, thank us for being your early testers so you can one day enjoy the benefits of EVs :joycat:

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone I know replaces their car every 2 years regardless, thank us for being your early testers so you can one day enjoy the benefits of EVs :joycat:
so everyone you know swaps their cars every 2 years? Cop all the depreciation and pass it on, start again? Not an ideal financial decision , but neither is an EV

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me the logic of an EV buyer? They claim to buy an EV to save money on petrol but are happy to pay $50k extra over a comparable petrol car to buy the EV and then spend another $25k on a solar setup? (Notwithstanding the inconvenience of an EV, battery replacement cost and poor resale)

do they need a boot up the arse?

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Let me start here, if you look at my posts in this thread I often say that EV's are a good choice for some people, and from your description it seems like the Model Y is a good choice for your wife.

What ecoshit box does 10L/100km?
You may have noticed my name, all of my cars are Twin Turbos, one of which was manufactured in 1990 and that's the car I have owned for the longest. I also currently have an E92 BMW M3 Competition which does a comfortable 9L/100km out of town, even modified, not exactly an ecoshitbox.

More to the point you mentioned the Model Y replaced an SQ5 which most commonly has a turbo diesel 3 litre V6 and based on my experience does a comfortable 8L/100km out of town which by your km's I correctly assumed was most of the distances travelled. Of course it could have been a turbo 3 Litre V6 petrol which does a decent 9L/100km. I was conservative for both and used 10L/100km in the comparison of SQ5 to Model Y.

Raptor is around 15L on Premium and our SQ5 was around the same also on 98, so you can cut the figure in 1/3 again and re run those numbers for any luxury car.
You didn't mention a Raptor as being the vehicle replaced by the Model Y however if you had I would have used it.

We don't have a long range so Tesla recommend charging to 100% (new battery tech) compared to the long range.
An interesting choice considering the distances travelled. Almost all would choose a Long Range for the reduced range anxiety. We should discuss LFP versus NMC batteries later.

My partner works from home full time, she does the vast majority of her driving dropping kids off and picking them up in the morning and afternoon or visiting the office when she has to before coming home.

These trips are 1 hr trips each time so 2.5 hours of driving a day just for the kids not allowing anything else, we also run an Airbnb 2 hours away that is a 4 hour round trip we attend twice a week, the car charges in peak solar times 99% of the time it falls on charging while she works, we have a 30kWh home system (it was $20,000 not $40,000) this generates more than enough that our home bill is also $0 per quarter and covers any night .
This situation is most unusual, someone who does that many hours of driving and still has time at home to recharge is far from common. Most commute the distance, work 8 hours then commute and often arrive home too late for solar charging. Hence the need for home batteries. This rather unique profile would obviously change the calculations as you correctly point out.

missing anything instead of just asking how this was possible you've come up with a bizzare scenario in your head to suit yourself where I require $90,000 up front cost to charge this car for free when all that happens is I charge it from the solar that was already installed pre car purchase so a sunk $0 cost.
If you examine my calculations you will find they are not at all bizarre and I did explain exactly how I came to each number.

I love ice cars, you're talking to someone who owns a VL Calais, Honda NSX, HQ panelvan & Jaguar XJ12 as weekend toys.
I do the same, I have had 2 x XJ12's and I built a supercharged NSX in the 1990's. More than happy to discuss performance cars at any time.

a mode of low cost transportation you cannot beat an EV, it's the future and if it doesn't suit you because you cross the Simpsons desert every weekend that's fine for now but people are already road tripping the entirety of Australia in teslas.
EV's are easily beaten if you have no off street parking like 30% of the Australian population and have to pay for decent rate charging which costs much the same as refuelling an ICEV per km travelled. EV's become marginal when commuting daily and only have night time access to home recharging. EV's are less suitable when it comes to carrying passengers, luggage and even more unsuitable when towing, I have wasted far too much time recharging an EV on what would be a non stop trip in an ICEV (eg; to Jindabyne and return with the family and luggage on board towing the jet skis behind a Mercedes EQB.)

As I posted above, EV's are good for some people's situations but they are equally bad for other people, making the educated choice is the only way to choose and it seems that you have done exactly that.

buy your solar panels and inverters from reputable companies also, our panels are 30 years and our inverter 20) a battery doesn't make much sense while we still have 7 cent feed in tariff making up for night usage.
More than happy to talk to the "reputable company" that supplied your solar system. The issue I find often is that people confuse a Panel Performance Warranty of 25 years (which is the industry standard) with the Panel Product Warranty which is 10 years. The difference being that the Performance Warranty simply requires that the panel produce some electricity for 25 years, anything at all will do. Whereas the Product Warranty specifies by how much the performance has to drop in order to invoke the warranty within the 10 years. If I may quote a CSIRO Engineer "Many solar industry insiders consider the performance warranty practically worthless, little more than a marketing exercise."

In regards to 20 year Inverter Warranty, I can't say that I have ever seen an inverter warranted over 10 years. Even then they have such restrictive clauses that not much of the inverter is actually covered by warranty after 5 years. Again more than happy to talk to the "reputable company" and look at what brand of inverter and its warranty that they utilise.

On good days were hitting close to 250kWh generated.
What about on a bad day? I get up to a 90% reduction in power generation and that's in the Shire which isn't exactly climate unfriendly.

Always a Bulldog

Last edited:

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had our Model Y for 2 years now I think? Launch day anyway or coming up close to it, have saved $18,000 in fuel in that time alone (coming from an SQ5) without spending a cent on charging or servicing. If I tallied up servicing another $1,500 over 2 years at least.

For a family car you really can't go past them as an appliance.

In comparison I hate my fucking Raptor so much now even as the 'newer' car & can't wait for an electric ute hits here as a daily also.

Car yards, servicing, price haggling, all can die in a field of dicks. These people have no idea their jobs will be the next large replacement.
Yeah but you forgot the most important factor.....

You went from a good looking car in an SQ5 to a model Y!!!

Vomit.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Yeah but you forgot the most important factor.....

You went from a good looking car in an SQ5 to a model Y!!!

Vomit.
It is a broader problem. For some reason EV designers seem to think that everyone wants something that reminds you of the Jetsons.

Aren't many decent looking ev's on the road.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is a broader problem. For some reason EV designers seem to think that everyone wants something that reminds you of the Jetsons.

Aren't many decent looking ev's on the road.
Spot on.
There aren't many that appeal to me except the Polestar range.

I have gained a greater respect for Toyota of late simply because they just replace their badge with a blue shadow on the Corolla and Camry hybrids, rather than come up with a new ugly design.

Needing intake grills for radiator cooling on an ICEV use to be a difficult thing for car designers to hide in the past. Now with EV's, replacing the grille with solid plastic or fibreglass seems a challenge also! Go figure.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Spot on.
There aren't many that appeal to me except the Polestar range.

I have gained a greater respect for Toyota of late simply because they just replace their badge with a blue shadow on the Corolla and Camry hybrids, rather than come up with a new ugly design.

Needing intake grills for radiator cooling on an ICEV use to be a difficult thing for car designers to hide in the past. Now with EV's, replacing the grille with solid plastic or fibreglass seems a challenge also! Go figure.
Yeah - the dual platform EVs probably pass the ugly test better than others. Have the added benefit of being slightly lighter on the insurance due to the dual platform panels.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So im staring at this gorgeous Mustang GT outside the barber shop, and as much as I want one, I can't comprehend that I won't fit my golf clubs and buggy in the boot.

I'm assuming EV's are the same with no hoit space or the ones that do have it (Model Y) compete for ugliest car on the road ?

Are there any good EVs that can fit a tour bag with a foldup Clickgear buggy at the back?

Trinfly

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So im staring at this gorgeous Mustang GT outside the barber shop, and as much as I want one, I can't comprehend that I won't fit my golf clubs and buggy in the boot.

I'm assuming EV's are the same with no hoit space or the ones that do have it (Model Y) compete for ugliest car on the road ?

Are there any good EVs that can fit a tour bag with a foldup Clickgear buggy at the back?

Problem solved,
New & Used Golf Carts for Sale in La Quinta, CA _ Caddyshack Golf Carts.jpeg.jpg

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score

Plenty I would guess. Your not talking a lot of footprint here. Especially if you pull the D out of the bag and put it in separately. That mofo is half the problem if it stays in the bag.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Pays a $20k premium for a car. Has a $20k solar setup. Has an airb&b. Drives kids 1hr each way to school. Only knows people who replace their cars every 2 years.
lectures us peasants on how to make our dollar go further.
you’re exactly the kid of person I imagine buys EV’s.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Pays a $20k premium for a car. Has a $20k solar setup. Has an airb&b. Drives kids 1hr each way to school. Only knows people who replace their cars every 2 years.
lectures us peasants on how to make our dollar go further.
you’re exactly the kid of person I imagine buys EV’s.
Cancelling peoples opinions on EVs. Cancel culture.