Dymock

Punchbowl Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone remember belmore Dowling coat hangered by Sattler, not sure if his jaw was broken

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Terry Bawden, late 60's, I remember the name, good goal kicker, took over the kicking from Johns and Taylforth, don't remember much else. A few years before Gary Dowling, he appeared in the 70's, Dowling was killed in a car accident if I remember rightly.

Always a Bulldog
Yes. Dowling died in a car accident in Qld if I remember correctly.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Don't remember Terry Bawden although the name rings a bell.

Peter O'Neill was another.

I was very young when Les was playing but ALL my family members say he was brilliant beyond belief at times.
I'm glad that I was able to see Johns in action for a few seasons. His legend is not overblown; he was a thinking fullback who saved us many times with his defense and attacking abilities.

He perfected the style of diving tackle that not only brought down an attacking winger, but took him over the sideline as well. The GF tackle that everyone remembers by Penrith's Sattler was an everyday tackle for Johns.

Brian Boru

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I'm glad that I was able to see Johns in action for a few seasons. His legend is not overblown; he was a thinking fullback who saved us many times with his defense and attacking abilities.

He perfected the style of diving tackle that not only brought down an attacking winger, but took him over the sideline as well. The GF tackle that everyone remembers by Penrith's Sattler was an everyday tackle for Johns.
Les Johns tackle on Kevin Yow Yeh at the SSG. Unbelievable.
Wish there was footage of that.