News DWZ, Meaney ready to wing it after two-year fullback duel

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
For two years they've taken turns at trying to cement Canterbury's No.1 jersey but first-round wingers Dallin Watene-Zelezniak and Nick Meaney are now flat-out just looking remain in their best 17.

The recruitment of Corey Allan has temporarily solved the Bulldogs' fullback woes but long-term, the future arrival of Josh Addo-Carr will only add to a sudden selection dilemma in the backline.

Nick Cotric's switch to the centres has given both Watene-Zelezniak and Meaney some immediate relief as both look to push their case to remain in the backline, at least in the short-term and into the future.

Along with veteran Will Hopoate, who has also been another to rotate in the fullback role, Meaney is without a deal beyond this season, while Watene-Zelezniak is tied to the Bulldogs until the end of 2022 but can begin negotiating with rival clubs from November.

"You just want to be in 17 at this stage of the year so I'm happy to try and fulfil that and play as many games as possible,"

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
For two years they've taken turns at trying to cement Canterbury's No.1 jersey but first-round wingers Dallin Watene-Zelezniak and Nick Meaney are now flat-out just looking remain in their best 17.

The recruitment of Corey Allan has temporarily solved the Bulldogs' fullback woes but long-term, the future arrival of Josh Addo-Carr will only add to a sudden selection dilemma in the backline.

Nick Cotric's switch to the centres has given both Watene-Zelezniak and Meaney some immediate relief as both look to push their case to remain in the backline, at least in the short-term and into the future.

Along with veteran Will Hopoate, who has also been another to rotate in the fullback role, Meaney is without a deal beyond this season, while Watene-Zelezniak is tied to the Bulldogs until the end of 2022 but can begin negotiating with rival clubs from November.

"You just want to be in 17 at this stage of the year so I'm happy to try and fulfil that and play as many games as possible,"
Well take some angry pills Nick and rip in.

Stand out. Grab your spot.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Both of them are seat warmers for 2022. Unless DWZ has a massive year I can really see him in NSW cup next year. This is Meaney's third year with us and there's nothing I've seen to say he deserves to cement a spot in next years team.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
he has speed to burn I’m just saying I never seen it.
He can’t bust a tackle or run between defenders mate!!!!
I'm kind of hoping that Flanagan offers a kicking game that plays to Meaneys ability to field a kick. He's been excellent in that aspect of his play defensively, if Flanagan allows that to emerge in an attacking sense Meaney should have a good year.

DWZ needs to just get his head right again. He's a hell of a player when in form, but as we saw last year he can be a villain if he's not going well. We don't have a lot of backline depth so hopefully they both go well.

MIR-PROD

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Idk if DWZ will ever be consistent which is a shame. Meaney has great acceleration but his speed off the mark isn’t great. He’s been solid for us but, just 1 bad game for us i can remember

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm kind of hoping that Flanagan offers a kicking game that plays to Meaneys ability to field a kick. He's been excellent in that aspect of his play defensively, if Flanagan allows that to emerge in an attacking sense Meaney should have a good year.

DWZ needs to just get his head right again. He's a hell of a player when in form, but as we saw last year he can be a villain if he's not going well. We don't have a lot of backline depth so hopefully they both go well.
At least he is no longer the most recent player to play the ball in the wrong direction after Olam's effort last night (Although I realise he probably thought that the ref blew a knock on and was just handing it over). :smilingimp:

Agree with what you have said, he has the ability to have good games but his confidence has huge impacts on his performances and he needs to get that right. It didn't fill be with hope based on his trial.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
At least he is no longer the most recent player to play the ball in the wrong direction after Olam's effort last night (Although I realise he probably thought that the ref blew a knock on and was just handing it over). :smilingimp:

Agree with what you have said, he has the ability to have good games but his confidence has huge impacts on his performances and he needs to get that right. It didn't fill be with hope based on his trial.
I was working when the trial was on and will unfortunately miss tonights game due to work as well. But it seems like the optimism of Barrett will breed some confidence from the players. Only time will tell. I'm just going to cross my fingers and hope we start the year with some form to build a platform.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wait til the fox and staggs come
Bye bye Meaney hoppa and okin

averillo fullback
Allan wing
Staggs and cotric centres
Fox wing
Burton 6
Do you have any mail on Staggs? Someone on here did mention that Staggs told their source he'll be here next year but hopefully it's not for $800K

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
he has speed to burn I’m just saying I never seen it.
He can’t bust a tackle or run between defenders mate!!!!
Lets wait until he has some quality halves and a ball playing fb alongside him hey? like everyone else on the team, he will also improve with some quality coaching.