Drones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Seems like a popular Christmas gift this year was those remote control drones. I know this because Facebook is littered with people asking if anyone has seen the one they're missing. Despite knowing they seem to have a steep learning curve I'd like one.

I used to own a cheap remote control helicopter. That was fun but the batteries went flat after 15 minutes of use. Plus a couple of parts snapped. What I'd like to know from anyone that actually has a drone if they're any better. Is battery life better with these? What would I be looking at in terms of price for a reasonable quality drone to learn with. Are they durable? Would you say the fun wears off quickly?

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Anything under $300 still has a decent long term life but not much battery life usually lasting 5-7 minutes. Over $800 they get a lot better for battery life.

The things to keep in mind:

1) Check the battery life of the drone. They usually tell you on the packet

2) Check the quality of the camera attached and if it's a front facing camera or a straight down (bird's eye) camera

3) Check if it's bluetooth or wireless (2.4 or 5 GHz). Bluetooth drones can only go a maximum of 20 metres away from you. Wireless has a much longer range

Most drones have stabalisation now days and are a lot easier to fly. The more expensive ones tend to have anti-crash tech to prevent potentially expensive crashes.

I have a cheap drone that is usually $250 but JB Hifi often has it on sale for $49. It's a good beginner drone. Only uses bluetooth so it can't go far, only has about 6 minute battery life but recharges quickly from usb (good if you have a USB battery pack). The drone also has easily changeable rechargeable batteries so you can buy spares. Plus it comes with a foam hydrofoil so you can use it as a boat drone too or jsu tuse it as a normal flying drone. It uses the same software as the larger parrot drones so it's good to play around with to see if you like it before getting a larger drone.

If you can find it on sale for $49 I'd suggest trying it out first and using it to practice drone skills before buying a big one.

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/cameras/parrot/parrot-minidrone-airborne-hydro-orak/773394/

The other thing to keep in mind with drones, keep them away from birds. Magpies and other birds attack drones like crazy and can often destroy them.

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got one for Xmas have used it yet but keen to get down the local soccer field and give it a spin it's a sky viper I checked clip of it on YouTube it gets 125m up with clear camera vision

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Got one of those repco ones, battery lasted about 6 minutes lol. Thrashed the **** around the lounge room.

bulldogsfan_88

Left Right Out
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
My bro-in-law got one of his mrs for Chrissy... cost $1600 & has a range of 7km & 30min battery life he lives in Pyrmont & has got some pretty spectacular footage of the harbour

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Just brush up on the rules before you use them. There are a lot of BIG No-no's, and breaking one rule can result in huge fines, criminal charges and jail time at worst.
E.g
You don't wanna be like that guy that ordered a Bunnings sausage sizzle via one, broke CASA rules, and is facing a $9000 fine.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...ck-up-a-bunnings-sausage-20161108-gsl3q2.html

https://www.casa.gov.au/aircraft/landing-page/flying-drones-australia

So many parents but then for their kids, not realising that even the cheap ones are not really "toys" for kids to be using. I see it like letting a kid drive a > 5hp boat.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I have a Middle Eastern appearance so I stay away from the ***** lol

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
My bro-in-law got one of his mrs for Chrissy... cost $1600 & has a range of 7km & 30min battery life he lives in Pyrmont & has got some pretty spectacular footage of the harbour
That would be a DJ1 drone then.

I want one but I can't convince the misses to let me spend the money.

I have a Raptor eye, it's a cheapy from Costco however it shoots 720p. The quality is amazing.
It takes stills and video. Battery life is only 7 minutes but it's much fun.

Range is up to 150 feet, I'll upload the video I took today. Sadly the battery was dying so it only goes for 20 seconds

bulldogsfan_88

Left Right Out
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
That would be a DJ1 drone then.

I want one but I can't convince the misses to let me spend the money.

I have a Raptor eye, it's a cheapy from Costco however it shoots 720p. The quality is amazing.
It takes stills and video. Battery life is only 7 minutes but it's much fun.

Range is up to 150 feet, I'll upload the video I took today. Sadly the battery was dying so it only goes for 20 seconds
Yeah that's the one!! He loves it!! Got some nifty little functions too like if you lose contact it returns to your last known global position which is pretty cool

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
My drone has that function but it comes back to the general area not a location. There is a guy on YouTube that loves all things tech. He had converted a Kombi and a Karmen Ghia from petrol to EV.

He also has the same drone, his videos show him taking it 100's of get in the air. Looks amazing

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The other thing to keep in mind with drones, keep them away from birds. Magpies and other birds attack drones like crazy and can often destroy them.
I imagine it's like some kind of alien invasion for the birds.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Looks like I'll have to pick up a cheap one and see where I go from there.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
So many parents but then for their kids, not realising that even the cheap ones are not really "toys" for kids to be using. I see it like letting a kid drive a > 5hp boat.
There's a lot of that in Australia. Like those hoverboard things that people are still buying not realising that they have been banned for use on the streets. Or the cheap inflatable pools. You keep seeing them on special at Kmart and Big W, but in order to legally use it you need to put up an concrete fixed fence around it.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I got an idea. Order something for your neighbour via Aus Post. When the order comes in via drone, throw a blanket over the mofo and steal it. Bang. Free, controller-free drone lol. You can probably buy a universal remote for it.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
There's a lot of that in Australia. Like those hoverboard things that people are still buying not realising that they have been banned for use on the streets. Or the cheap inflatable pools. You keep seeing them on special at Kmart and Big W, but in order to legally use it you need to put up an concrete fixed fence around it.
What's the deal with those cheap pools bro? My kids got one as a present.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.