News Dragons’ new offer to Hunt as Dogs accused of cunning ‘panic buy’ ploy:

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I have never once considered the possibility that the Coffs Harbour Gang Bang (or gang rape depending on who is telling the story) had anything whatsoever to do with JT being dumped by the club.

No laws were broken. Several players behaved in a manner that could bring the game into disrepute (is it even possible to bring Rugby League into disrepute?), but the comtemporary accounts indicate that JT was not one of them. Even if he had been, the game has shown us on far too many occasions that, if you are a good enough player, normal standards of behaviour do not apply. Think back to Andrew John's habitual drug abuse during his playing days, and the efforts of the Newcastle club to cover it up. If Folkes had thought JT was a superstar, he would have kept him.
Literally everyone in the sport was saying he was going to be a superstar. You think Folksey was the only man in league who didn't get that memo? Te issue wasn't whether he would be a superstar....the issue was that we had a roster full of superstars at the time including up and comers like SBW and JT. We made what turned out to be a bad decision, because some players didn't reach the heights they appeared destined to attain, others left early or mid contract and JT went on to even exceed people's lofty expectations. The club may not have realised he would become one of the GOATs, but it was widely known he'd be a great player. I don't see any evidence to suggest Sullivan has that potential. He's not even setting the world alight in Cup.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I have never once considered the possibility that the Coffs Harbour Gang Bang (or gang rape depending on who is telling the story) had anything whatsoever to do with JT being dumped by the club.

No laws were broken. Several players behaved in a manner that could bring the game into disrepute (is it even possible to bring Rugby League into disrepute?), but the comtemporary accounts indicate that JT was not one of them. Even if he had been, the game has shown us on far too many occasions that, if you are a good enough player, normal standards of behaviour do not apply. Think back to Andrew John's habitual drug abuse during his playing days, and the efforts of the Newcastle club to cover it up. If Folkes had thought JT was a superstar, he would have kept him.
It's water under the bridge now...
Without elaboration, don't ever be fooled into believing that we let him go solely because of Anasta and Sherwin, the kid then offered to play for nothing, little that we knew he probably would end up being an immortal.
What happened in Coffs Harbour in 2003 then 2004 was not illegal but immoral, at the time our club was the club to be reckoned with, unfortunately the media and especially NEWS Lies unLtd being the 50% owners of the National Rorts League raged a war of extinction on our club for not signing South Sydney's death warrant, if it wasn't for our club's wealth and huge fan base we would've become extinct.
Here we are now, still paying the price !!!

Last edited:

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

JT was one of them and he was also involved the following year with a married woman, so he had some issues off field which he admits. Anasta was also a star back then, NSW and Australia, so they went for the cleanskins in Anasta and Sherwin. Turned out to be the wrong decision long term but at the time it was probably correct.

RobT

Mass debator
Reaction score
When has Gus ever spoken about how he's met with a player and his manager the this past year to the media? Never. He's denied all of it.
He did say something very similar about meeting with Reed Mahoney, although there were photos of the meeting all over the internet, so he could hardly deny it.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Top quality article, take a previous article and add a few comments from NRL 360 and you have yourself a new article with no further info.
A fox article quoting fox 'journalists' with a click bait headline. Another great djdeep4172 thread [emoji23][emoji23]

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
A fox article quoting fox 'journalists' with a click bait headline. Another great djdeep4172 thread [emoji23][emoji23]
My pet hate is their stupid quotes in the head lines...manipulated in a way to make it looks like its spoken about by someone with some authority on the subject

Then there's the simpleton clickbait ones where's it like

The Tigers are fucking dumb cunts who have fucked up for the past 15 years, but they could fix it all with this one solution throw in a couple of pointer emojis and a bit.ly and ur good

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Looks like Madden has gone to Panthers. So we might be stuck with Flanagan.

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I reckon we should entice trindall to come across, starting opportunity in the 7 at canterbury not stuck behind hynes and moylan at sharks
At probably less than half the proce of 33 year old hunt

Last edited:

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We should sign both Sullivan and Madden. One of them has to work out. The other can be back up 7 which we need also.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
We should sign both Sullivan and Madden. One of them has to work out. The other can be back up 7 which we need also.
I think I read Madden is/has signed for the Panthers. He's going to do the O'Sullivan and use Panthers to get his value up.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is Sullivan? He doesn’t seem to set up many try’s in reserves (about 1 a game even though he put 3 on against us at belmore). Doesn’t seems to kick big meters. Doesn’t seem to get repeat sets. And he either runs for 130+ Meters or 40m.

You’d rather a Townsend type (I know none available players that fit his mould). Big boot, creative, try assists, line break Assists, he gets set restarts 10 out. Chad is never going to be a miracle worker or win you games. But he does his job which allows your 5/8, fullback and hooker to shine. Fair enough our spine is as bad as a quadriplegic at the moment. But I don’t see how a Sullivan type will strengthen it. Also we still need a fullback. Like Gus said all the good teams have a gun fullback. Probably the reason broncos will miss out on a top 8 finish.
Need to go hard for Mitchell Moses....but it would take 900k to sign him

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I don't know what rumours were circulating in your neck of the woods but I heard that the club - more specifically, Folkes - felt that his established halves combination of Sherwin and Anasta was around for the long haul, and that JT would not displace either of them. You say yourself he was on the bench in the GF, which made him what we now call a No 14. He was told he wasn't wanted in mid-season, and signed for the Cowboys several weeks before the grand final.
no that’s no exactly the truth but let’s not get back into it.