Official Dolphins scoop up averillo for three years

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We picked him over everyone coming off contract this year. He was singed in December, 11 months before he’s allowed in the front door. He was signed as a priority over any other player who is coming up for renewal, if he wasn’t a priority he wouldn’t have been the first man signed.
Not how it is man. Gus saw an opportunity to get him on a cheap deal. You think no other club would have pursued him?! They signed him when it became legal, simple as that. Just like when a player is off contract in the forthcoming year, they can sign from the preceding November. Even Sandor frickin Earl was signed after his 4 yr ban. It has nothing to do with prioritising etc. it was simply when Xerri was allowed to sign a contract. If he was eligible to sign in December and they waited until January or whatever, he may have signed elsewhere.

The point is, they’re two seperate things. Averillo wasn’t up for a new contract until this November. Are you saying they should have prioritised and re-signed him last December? What if he didn’t want to negotiate then? What if Gus, CC etc didn’t even value him?!

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He is what we need, we just can't afford him. Bloke carried our attack this season despite paying outside of Flanagan, Karl and Perham who gave him fuck all ball. Burton only just overtook him for total try involvements and that's only because he moved to halfback and further limited Jake's involvement on the ball. You're still underestimating way too much.
I know you rate him bro. I reckon he is very replaceable and we need to prioritise other positions. I hope he does well though. Not sure his defence can be sorted, he would be a hell of a player if he learns to tackle

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
priority defensive coaching regime
Come on @wendog33 that’s gotta be a joke. Imagine at training… now come 9n Jakey it’s time for your priority defensive session because we value our local juniors. Sorry to say but a lot of our greats weren’t locals, e.g Turvey. I know Baa played for Chester Hill right? But started his professional career at Wests so not sure about him. A lot of our best came from NSW country or interstate.

Even moreso today, the idea of local juniors is nice and all, but winning comps is nicer.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Alex Johnston was told a few years back to look elsewhere and he was unwanted at Souths. Guess what he did? He didn’t sign anywhere else because his heart was at Souths.
Souths backflipped on their position due to pressure from fans and paid him market value. Also, Alex Johnson is nearing the end of his career and has made a lot of money, Avo is just getting started. If you think he should have stayed for significantly less than he was offered elsewhere for love of the club after that club basically slapped him in the face, you're living in Disneyland, fam.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Avo has been available to be signed (for 2024) since November last year. He was only ever linked to one other club, even when encouraged by our club to test the market. I'd suggest there were no other teams interested... 16/17 clubs not interested enough to make an offer.. says something people..
Yeah, there was a massive “bidding war” for a young centre with 60 odd games under his belt, didn’t you hear the Dolphins say how there was a tonne of interest but he signed for them? Lol

He is FaSt and an AtHLetE don’t you know…

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, he reminds me of Barba. He has been excellent for us in spurts, and definitely one of our top 5 players this year, but he doesn't really fit into any position for us. He's not a centre 'cause he doesn't have the defence. He's not a fullback, he's not a hooker, he's not a half.

He has so much potential, but we really don't have a place where he can shine.
Barba?! Come on bro, Ben was ten times the talent. That dally m year he was insanely good.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Come on @wendog33 that’s gotta be a joke. Imagine at training… now come 9n Jakey it’s time for your priority defensive session because we value our local juniors. Sorry to say but a lot of our greats weren’t locals, e.g Turvey. I know Baa played for Chester Hill right? But started his professional career at Wests so not sure about him. A lot of our best came from NSW country or interstate.

Even moreso today, the idea of local juniors is nice and all, but winning comps is nicer.
We are much more likely to win comps by developing top talent that has come up through the ranks than we are by paying already expensive players overs.

Kurrupt78

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He just came right at the wrong time. We need middles right now along with a legit half back. Good luck to the kid either way.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

Im just saying that bc he is a local junior and we are promoting our club as the development club and the family club that we should identify deficencies our players have and give them extra coaching training etc just like halves and goal kickers and forwards get :grinning:

Bennett will do precisely that if he recognises defensive deficiencies.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
He'll put three or four tries on us as the Dolphins dump on us all game lololol
I choose to believe they run over the top of the little bitch.
We score 5 tries running over the top of Averillo.
So that's a net plus 1 or 2!!

hackenbush

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Agree the young kid did something stupid, accepted his responsibility & punishment. If he was your son, brother, friend, you would expect he deserves another chance. From all accounts he is a good kid & needs our support for next year. It will be a hard road back to redemption.
Everyone deserves a second chance. Xerri was 18 years old when he took steroids. No one is perfect in life, so let’s give the guy a chance before writing him off. The talent we already have playing for us clearly are not getting us results so change is needed. Don’t get me wrong Avo is the least of our problems and he has probably been the only positive / our most dangerous player in the backline this season, but one thing I have learnt from Gus is that he always has a plan. From what I understood the money on offer from the Dolphins was greater than we were willing to pay.. and Avo took it. Good luck to him, but if it means it’s $100k saved that could go towards a halfback / prop then that is a win. Personally I would have let Alamoti go before him, but maybe we didn’t have a choice. Put it this way, put the Australian centres outside our halves / forward pack and they will not perform. We need to strengthen other areas before the backs can shine.