Official Dolphins scoop up averillo for three years

El Mag-Nick

Waterboy
Reaction score
Lol these same sooks whinging why we didn’t keep him are probably the same ones that whinge when we don’t have enough money in the salary cap to but a decent halfback / prop.

Gus made it clear in his post that Avo got a better deal at the Dolphins.. so he chose to take it
It’s not that we didn’t keep him, it’s who we signed as a priority before him. Signing some drug cheat blow in and then crying poor and not having the coin to retain players who’s talent doesn’t come from a syringe is the issue. You don’t sign a drug cheat who can’t even play months before you resign the talent you already have playing for you.

It’s a disgrace and the club has its priorities backwards

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Avo got a better deal at the Dolphins
Saying "Avo got a deal [at all] at the Dolphins" means exactly the same thing.
It sounds like we simply weren't interested and made no offer at all.
100% you would think we had Munster and let him go..
I little bit hyperbolic there. No need to get hysterical Nancy.

ouwet

Bulldogs 4 Life
Reaction score
I don't understand why everyone is pissed...

He's had one good game against St George this year and all of a sudden he is worth 500K?

Reality is everyone on this forum bagged the shit out of him for years! He's not a halfback, he's not a FB, he's not a centre, he is too weak, he can't catch bombs, he cannot defend etc.

Good luck to Jake and I really hope he flourishes under Bennett.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It’s not that we didn’t keep him, it’s who we signed as a priority before him. Signing some drug cheat blow in and then crying poor and not having the coin to retain players who’s talent doesn’t come from a syringe is the issue. You don’t sign a drug cheat who can’t even play months before you resign the talent you already have playing for you.

It’s a disgrace and the club has its priorities backwards
The difference is Xerri would cost 300k max probably less as he's been out for so long. Averillo for 450k, maybe 500k to beat the Dolphins offer isn't worth it. Paying Averillo that much and having a surplus in the backline with so many forwards and a half needed would be bad cap management.

You can argue that we shouldn't have signed Crichton for 700k or Xerri in the first place and I wouldn't completely disagree but after signing those two it makes it harder to keep Averillo for that much.

haz123

dogs for eva
Reaction score
Saying "Avo got a deal [at all] at the Dolphins" means exactly the same thing.
It sounds like we simply weren't interested and made no offer at all.

I little bit hyperbolic there. No need to get hysterical Nancy.
Don't think I'm the one getting hysterical..

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
As a matter of interest...

Can anyone recall another club congratulating their own 22 y.o. local, born and bred player, from one of their proud junior feeder clubs, on his great deal he got from a competitor club to go play for them.

I can't but maybe it's a thing?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
As a matter of interest...

Can anyone recall another club congratulating their own 22 y.o. local, born and bred player, from one of their proud junior feeder clubs, on his great deal he got from a competitor club to go play for them.

I can't but maybe it's a thing?
It's called being classy. Would you rather Gus death rode him and tweeted out something bitter and unprofessional?

El Mag-Nick

Waterboy
Reaction score
The difference is Xerri would cost 300k max probably less as he's been out for so long. Averillo for 450k, maybe 500k to beat the Dolphins offer isn't worth it. Paying Averillo that much and having a surplus in the backline with so many forwards and a half needed would be bad cap management.

You can argue that we shouldn't have signed Crichton for 700k or Xerri in the first place and I wouldn't completely disagree but after signing those two it makes it harder to keep Averillo for that much.
That’s exactly my point, signing drug cheats that haven’t played for 4 years and can’t even train in a club environment until November shouldn’t have been the priority months ago, retaining talent we have should have been. If we got to the point where that talent had walked and we were desperate for a centre then MAYBE the druggie could get a look in. It’s just absolutely insane that the highest priority centre option for next year was a guy currently serving a ban for juicing

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
It's called being classy. Would you rather Gus death rode him and tweeted out something bitter and unprofessional?
No of course not but my question still stands.

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fucking pissed about this one.

He should've been given first crack at Fullback. Instead we wasted a season with a 3rd Grader.

Outside of JAC, we've lost the only player capable of scoring a try.
Exactly . You can’t train speed .

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The majority of this place bagged the shit out of him, for YEARS lol

Now "why are we letting him go, he'll kill it" lol

He'll be exactly the same player he was with us. Good on attack, terrible on defense. He may look like a different player in a better system, but he's not.

Just like Brenko Lee and Reimis. They are no different from when they player with us, and they were coached by Belly cheat.

I personally would have kept him, but I guess they see roider as a better option.

Dogzzz of War

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well how’s @Critta Magic ? Surely someone needs to check up on him.

he said that Avo was in the long term plans of the club. Obviously the club didnt rate him as a 400k player. Hopefully this is the start of the club cleaning out all our fringe first graders and securing a quality half and a couple of decent props.

Dogahol

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Averillo is not worth anything more than 350k

He is a fast. That is it. His involvement rate is terrible.

El Mag-Nick

Waterboy
Reaction score
Well how’s @Critta Magic ? Surely someone needs to check up on him.

he said that Avo was in the long term plans of the club. Obviously the club didnt rate him as a 400k player. Hopefully this is the start of the club cleaning out all our fringe first graders and securing a quality half and a couple of decent props.
Nah, too busy signing drug cheats and sounding out home invaders that 3 other clubs have moved on before the contract term is up.

Scoobs

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Avo is not a star. He has pace and utility value. Not to be harsh but defensively he is poor because he is soft.
Always makes me laugh when nobody's on forums call professional sportspeople soft. Despite what you may think of his ability and effectiveness, It's simply not possible to play at the highest level of a contact sport and be 'soft'.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Averagillo. Averdildo. On and on it went, now? Man I'm pissed what a disgrace letting him go lmao