Dogs win despite terrible kicking game

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Des Hasler’s Bulldogs would go close to having the worst last-tackle options of any team in the history of the great game of rugby league. Whenever the Bulldogs have the ball inside the opposition 20 metres and the referee yells “fifth and last” a strange mix of confusion and panic sets in, as if they have never heard the call before. Most of the time there appears to be no structure, no plan and no communication, as players scramble to come up with something.

If the ball does find its way to either of the halves, it usually results in a harmless kick straight to a defender, or a kick that rolls easily over the dead-ball line or into touch. The key to a quality last-play option inside the opposition 20 metres is to put as much pressure as possible on the defence, leading to either a try or at worst a repeat set of six tackles from a drop-out. The Bulldogs seem incapable of producing either.

On one occasion five-eighth Moses Mbye was so shallow at first receiver inside Manly's 10 metres, that he was wrapped up by a tackler before he could do anything. Their only productive kick on Friday night was a high, innocuous bomb that the Sea Eagles players allowed to bounce. Sam Perrett ran through and took the ball before passing to Tim Lafai, who crossed for the try.

As though to emphasise how poor they are at last-tackle options, they handed Manly one last chance to win the game in the dying seconds of Friday night’s arm-wrestle. With a four-point lead and the clock ticking down, the Bulldogs should have wrapped it up with a kick into touch. Instead they were caught with the ball again and the Sea Eagles had 15 seconds in which they could have snatched victory.

It’s difficult to be too harsh on a team which has played in two of the last three grand finals, but if the Bulldogs are to have any chance of winning one, they’ll have to sort out their kicking game.

http://www.sportsfan.com.au/bulldog...out-of-it/tabid/91/newsid/157193/default.aspx

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The first paragraph couldnt be any truer, everyone seems to freak out on the fifth tackle.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think they are restricted by des. They aren't the most accurate kickers in the game and run the risk of giving the opposition a free 20metres plus 7 tackles which could decide a game.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think they are restricted by des. They aren't the most accurate kickers in the game and run the risk of giving the opposition a free 20metres plus 7 tackles which could decide a game.
I think you're right only because I can't see Des letting this go on week after week if he didn't approve of it.

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Des Hasler’s Bulldogs would go close to having the worst last-tackle options of any team in the history of the great game of rugby league. Whenever the Bulldogs have the ball inside the opposition 20 metres and the referee yells “fifth and last” a strange mix of confusion and panic sets in, as if they have never heard the call before. Most of the time there appears to be no structure, no plan and no communication, as players scramble to come up with something.
Absolutely right blueyedsamurai. Our last tackle options are as effective as Wylie Coyote catching the Road Runner.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
What we lack in the halves we make up for in brute force, mighty impressed with the Dogs defense, Jackson setting high standards before his Blues debut.
Reynolds will be back but not for good unless he stays cool and steers the side.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think you're right only because I can't see Des letting this go on week after week if he didn't approve of it.
The conservative little kick in the air by hodko, the pass to Josh Morris who took the 6th tackle. I think we will see more of this when we are in the lead. I think a lot of coaches will start ton use this tactic and I blame the NRL for this type of Negative football.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The conservative little kick in the air by hodko, the pass to Josh Morris who took the 6th tackle. I think we will see more of this when we are in the lead. I think a lot of coaches will start ton use this tactic and I blame the NRL for this type of Negative football.
good lateral thinking .. makes a lot of sense

2nd phase play

Kennel Established
Reaction score
This what I dont understand....
5th tackle is sooo shit!!
Flat attack is so frustrating!

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I can only guess Des is sh1t scared about giving the opposition 6 tackles by kicking it dead.

But seriously we struggle to score, and every other team I watch plays what they see in front of them... no it doesn't always come off but it's better than just doing cross field kicks every single damn play.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I can only guess Des is sh1t scared about giving the opposition 6 tackles by kicking it dead.
Kicking in goal for a try is very risky for a 7 tackle set but placing a slow grubber thats only put in for a drop out cant be that difficult considering other teams manage to do it fairly easily.

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn't Matt Orford still the halves coach?? If so, it really explains alot. He was a poor half in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.