News Dogs set for overhaul as ‘huge’ Barrett call could trigger $500k star’s early exit:

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trent Barrett’s departure could be a disaster for the Bulldogs’ plans to re-sign Matt Burton.

Meanwhile, two short term fixes look set to leave the Bulldogs for the Super League.

Read on for the latest Bulldogs roster news in Transfer Whispers.

Matt Burton’s future at the Bulldogs looks increasingly uncertain after Trent Barrett’s departure from the club.

Burton has a player option in his favour for the final year of his deal in 2024 and is free to negotiate with rivals as of November 1 and he has stated that he intends to test the market.

The Daily Telegraph’s Dave Riccio believes Barrett’s exit could be disastrous in their bid to re-sign Burton, who is on a reported $500k, long-term.

“It’s huge, it’s absolutely huge,” Riccio said in regards to Burton’s future on SEN radio.

“Let’s think about Matt Burton for a moment, this morning he’s driving to training.

“He’s signed at this footy club to play under Trent Barrett, he is the one who dragged him over after working with him at Penrith, now he’s driving to training not knowing who the coach is going to be.

“He’s playing in a footy team that can’t strike a blow and he’s off-contract basically from November 1, he can take himself to open market, he can go to the highest bidder.”

Speaking before Barrett’s exit was confirmed, Riccio said he expected Burton to depart the Bulldogs should the coach leave, due to their close relationship from their time at the Panthers as assistant and player.

“I think it’s dangerous ground we’re on with Canterbury and Matt Burton, I think we’re going down a path where Burton leaves the club on the back of this decision,” Riccio said.

“That’s why this decision is so huge, because it doesn’t just impact the club, it impacts their highest-profile player and their most talented player.”

SEN host Andrew Voss believes the Bulldogs’ 2023 campaign will be a “write off” should Burton signal his intent to leave the club in 2024 and sign elsewhere.

“If he signs with another club for 2024 in November or December of this year, write off the Bulldogs next year,” Voss said.

“That’d be a low blow for the Bulldogs and their fans.”

The 22-year-old has scored 21 tries in 42 games for the Panthers and Bulldogs since his debut in 2019 and was one of the Dally M Centres of the Year in 2021.

SHORT TERM BULLDOGS’ FIXES SET TO LEAVE

Bulldogs players Matt Dufty and Paul Vaughan look set to leave the club after just one season after failing to fire in the first year at Belmore.

The pair were given one year NRL lifelines by the Bulldogs after being shown the door by the Dragons, but their bids to earn long-term contracts at the club look to have failed.

The Daily Telegraph’s Brent Read reported on Triple M that two separate Super League clubs are looking at the out of favour Bulldogs duo.

“Matt Dufty is on the radar of Warrington,” Read said on Triple M.

“They have had a couple of chats with him. I spoke to his manager Clint Schifcofske this morning. There is a good chance he will be in the Super League next year. He hasn’t got an offer on the table from the Dogs.

“I think Clint thinks it will be a good move, he will thrive over there. They have had a couple of conversations so I think it will move pretty quickly.

“Paul Vaughan is another guy who doesn’t have a contract at the end of this year. Again, he doesn’t have a place to go in the NRL and Wigan is looking at him so he may be in the Super League next year alongside Matt Dufty. A bloke playing good football and he’d thrive over there.”

At 26, Dufty has scored 45 tries in 92 games for the Dragons and Bulldogs since his debut back in 2017.

31-year-old Vaughan has scored 29 tries in 191 games for the Raiders, Dragons and Bulldogs since his debut in 2013 and played six Origins for the Blues and eight Tests for Australia and Italy.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
If any of what’s been said is true then no point him being here. The fox will stay and that’s the main thing. We want happy players and players who want to play for OUR club. Don’t hold him if he wants out. Let’s the cards fall ad they may.!!

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who gives a fuck no one wants to drive to training knowing there gonna get paddled week in week out at the end of it barrett didn’t work out at least the stood down him self now we need a replacement and the burton thing is clearly to get him paid more which the club has said they would upgrade his contract

Cartel

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If we lose Burton (and I doubt that it would be because of the Trent sacking) it will mean Averillo will go to #6

How does the kennel feel about Averillo at #6?

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If we lose Burton (and I doubt that it would be because of the Trent sacking) it will mean Averillo will go to #6

How does the kennel feel about Averillo at #6?
Our focus should have been on a real Halfback to partner him this whole time. Instead we signed 5 number 6s and a dud that think he's a Halfback.

Ribo Flavin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Trent Barrett’s departure could be a disaster for the Bulldogs’ plans to re-sign Matt Burton.

Meanwhile, two short term fixes look set to leave the Bulldogs for the Super League.

Read on for the latest Bulldogs roster news in Transfer Whispers.

Matt Burton’s future at the Bulldogs looks increasingly uncertain after Trent Barrett’s departure from the club.

Burton has a player option in his favour for the final year of his deal in 2024 and is free to negotiate with rivals as of November 1 and he has stated that he intends to test the market.

The Daily Telegraph’s Dave Riccio believes Barrett’s exit could be disastrous in their bid to re-sign Burton, who is on a reported $500k, long-term.

“It’s huge, it’s absolutely huge,” Riccio said in regards to Burton’s future on SEN radio.

“Let’s think about Matt Burton for a moment, this morning he’s driving to training.

“He’s signed at this footy club to play under Trent Barrett, he is the one who dragged him over after working with him at Penrith, now he’s driving to training not knowing who the coach is going to be.

“He’s playing in a footy team that can’t strike a blow and he’s off-contract basically from November 1, he can take himself to open market, he can go to the highest bidder.”

Speaking before Barrett’s exit was confirmed, Riccio said he expected Burton to depart the Bulldogs should the coach leave, due to their close relationship from their time at the Panthers as assistant and player.

“I think it’s dangerous ground we’re on with Canterbury and Matt Burton, I think we’re going down a path where Burton leaves the club on the back of this decision,” Riccio said.

“That’s why this decision is so huge, because it doesn’t just impact the club, it impacts their highest-profile player and their most talented player.”

SEN host Andrew Voss believes the Bulldogs’ 2023 campaign will be a “write off” should Burton signal his intent to leave the club in 2024 and sign elsewhere.

“If he signs with another club for 2024 in November or December of this year, write off the Bulldogs next year,” Voss said.

“That’d be a low blow for the Bulldogs and their fans.”

The 22-year-old has scored 21 tries in 42 games for the Panthers and Bulldogs since his debut in 2019 and was one of the Dally M Centres of the Year in 2021.

SHORT TERM BULLDOGS’ FIXES SET TO LEAVE

Bulldogs players Matt Dufty and Paul Vaughan look set to leave the club after just one season after failing to fire in the first year at Belmore.

The pair were given one year NRL lifelines by the Bulldogs after being shown the door by the Dragons, but their bids to earn long-term contracts at the club look to have failed.

The Daily Telegraph’s Brent Read reported on Triple M that two separate Super League clubs are looking at the out of favour Bulldogs duo.

“Matt Dufty is on the radar of Warrington,” Read said on Triple M.

“They have had a couple of chats with him. I spoke to his manager Clint Schifcofske this morning. There is a good chance he will be in the Super League next year. He hasn’t got an offer on the table from the Dogs.

“I think Clint thinks it will be a good move, he will thrive over there. They have had a couple of conversations so I think it will move pretty quickly.

“Paul Vaughan is another guy who doesn’t have a contract at the end of this year. Again, he doesn’t have a place to go in the NRL and Wigan is looking at him so he may be in the Super League next year alongside Matt Dufty. A bloke playing good football and he’d thrive over there.”

At 26, Dufty has scored 45 tries in 92 games for the Dragons and Bulldogs since his debut back in 2017.

31-year-old Vaughan has scored 29 tries in 191 games for the Raiders, Dragons and Bulldogs since his debut in 2013 and played six Origins for the Blues and eight Tests for Australia and Italy.
How many times is the same unsubstantiated story going to be posted?

Last edited:

Cartel

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Our focus should have been on a real Halfback to partner him this whole time. Instead we signed 5 number 6s and a dud that think he's a Halfback.
Our focus should of been with sacking Barrett last year.....

This was ALWAYS going to happen

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yet to see anything spectacular from him apart from a few bombs and 40/20 kicks. His has no game plan apart from bomb on the last.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Relax, it's likely total fukn horseshit take.it with a grain of salt.
What will be will be regarding all of out players, I could see Vaughan staying.
As long as the FOX stays then I don’t mind. With Trent gone you will see JAC take even more control. He will be OUR shining light from here on out.. he’s going to wear the blue and white for the rest of his Career, I think now it’s all done, everything will change for the better. !!

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Meh.. didnt they report weeks ago that he was going to test himself on the open market? This was long before Barrett being gone.

And personally, if a player wants to look what he can get elsewhere after 1 year with the club, then they obviously have no loyalty to the club and can fuck off.

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The media fueled and made it happen anyways now they will sit there and be like poor barrett.
So now if a interim coach comes in and we go 5-6 on the trot it will prove it was players attitude. Our squad should be a lot more competitive and if they go on and win 5 straight and play good footy it will just prove it was the coaching that was the downfall