News Dogs of Poor - Dean Ritchie

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What Richie doesn't mention is that there were no good mids available and havn't been for a couple of years including whats available next year. Only 2 decent props changed clubs this season,
Let me get this straight. You are saying no decent middles were off contract in the last 2 years…? Whether they re-signed with their current club or moved elsewhere??

Are you fucking serious?

Geoff Chambers

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I hope we win the comp in 3 years but it won't happen with Coach Ciraldo unless Gus gets him a team of champions and dodges the salary cap. Gus has been a disappointment as the man to steer the Bulldogs up the competition ladder. Gus has hired Coach Ciraldo and it is paying dividends in attracting Penrith players but that is a long way having a Premiership team. We need a very experienced coach to win consistently. Dean Pay did better than both Trent Barrett and Cameron Ciraldo and his team was much weaker than what coach Ciraldo has now and had last season.
Dean Pay is a class act and really tried hard hey. Great club man

Sent from my iPhone using The Kennel mobile app

stevesonthebay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Let me get this straight. You are saying no decent middles were off contract in the last 2 years…? Whether they re-signed with their current club or moved elsewhere??

Are you fucking serious?
I mean actually ended up changing clubs. There was a lot of speculation about some high profile players like Haas and Tino and Twal for example but they all stayed with their clubs so no one got them. This year apart from Flegler and Leniu I don't think there was any top NRL prop that was available.

Next year so far theres only been AFB and Uele that have come on the market that are decent. Uele has stayed with the Sharks and AFB also went to the Sharks. The Dogs pulled out for whatever reason.

But I had a look and the only other props have been average or young and inexperienced. Ironically one the best prop to change clubs last year was Klemmer but apart from that only Jesse Bromwich but he was always going to Bennet. Other than that there was very few top shelf props available.

There were a few average ones like Murdoch-Masila, Tamou, Pene, Kaufusi, Taupou and Sutton. There was also a number of young props like Saulo who I reckon would have been good. Pele who we signed, Hetherington who left the Dogs and Jirah Momoisea. But thats about it.

Its just about the same for next year with only AFB and Uele being top props and maybe Hess. I don;t think mids like De Belin, Lodge, Pene, Murdoch-Masila and the Molo bros who are all off contract are top NRL props and much the same as the Sutton and Knight. Maybe Wallace could come good.

That once again only leaves young inexperienced props with May being the standout which now seems like he will stay at Roosters. But others like Sione Fainu, Jirah Momoisea, Trey Mooney and maybe big Thomas Mikaele maybe worth a look.

Theres probaly a couple I missed like like McClean who maybe ok with a new club but I am spooked by signing slike Sutton and Woods who turned out to be duds.

So I can understand why we bought Fifita as hes a pretty good young prop with a bit of NRL experience we can have this year and develop for the future.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Watching the game live I was super impressed with our defence in comparison to other years, even their big guys were being contained.
How they didn’t score more points was amazing considering they were camped down our end virtually the entire first half.

On a low point our mistakes and not making decent yards of the line need addressing pretty quickly, perhaps a Skeleton type player will come into play at some point.
If possession had gone our way in the first half, who knows how the game might have gone?

Sharks are a better attacking unit than the Eels, so this week will be the real test.

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dean Ritchie is amongst the most irrelevant sports journalists this country has produced. He belongs to a class of clowns with an agenda against the club…The easily persuaded run with glimpses of images portrayed by these grubs to destabilise and shift the fan base by repeatedly reporting negativity.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I hope we win the comp in 3 years but it won't happen with Coach Ciraldo unless Gus gets him a team of champions and dodges the salary cap. Gus has been a disappointment as the man to steer the Bulldogs up the competition ladder. Gus has hired Coach Ciraldo and it is paying dividends in attracting Penrith players but that is a long way having a Premiership team. We need a very experienced coach to win consistently. Dean Pay did better than both Trent Barrett and Cameron Ciraldo and his team was much weaker than what coach Ciraldo has now and had last season.
Dean Pay was a great player but was not a good coach.

Foxterrier

New Pup
Reaction score
We had a very good coach in Mick Potter, a proven winner, he coached top grade in UK for 2 seasons, has coached elsewhere and did an excellent job coaching the top side with a much weaker team than the current squad. Instead Phil Gould hired Cameron Ciraldo, an inexperienced coach because he was much younger and supposedly the way ahead for the team, yeah, further ahead towards the bottom of the ladder. Bad decision Gus.

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We had a very good coach in Mick Potter, a proven winner, he coached top grade in UK for 2 seasons, has coached elsewhere and did an excellent job coaching the top side with a much weaker team than the current squad. Instead Phil Gould hired Cameron Ciraldo, an inexperienced coach because he was much younger and supposedly the way ahead for the team, yeah, further ahead towards the bottom of the ladder. Bad decision Gus.
What’s your credentials to come on here and bag Ciraldos coaching… what’s your league background to bag Gus… I was happy with our first hit out… that Parra side with the amount of ball they had would have destroyed most teams… I was happy with the performance we have a lot of improving to do .

Foxterrier

New Pup
Reaction score
What’s your credentials to come on here and bag Ciraldos coaching… what’s your league background to bag Gus… I was happy with our first hit out… that Parra side with the amount of ball they had would have destroyed most teams… I was happy with the performance we have a lot of improving to do .
I have been following rugby league since I was 8 years old, I am now 74 years of age, I played rugby league for many years at schoolboys but not top grade, my whole family and in laws are rugby league people, I've been around a while, including seeing the great Bulldogs teams of the 1980s, I used to coach and umpire other sports, I believe I am a wise head. Coach Ciraldo is not up to top standard and Gus is losing his mojo unfortunately. I am a voting member of the Bulldogs Football Club and the Leagues Club. I am entitled to my opinion. I am not asking you to like it.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Dean Ritchie is amongst the most irrelevant sports journalists this country has produced. He belongs to a class of clowns with an agenda against the club…The easily persuaded run with glimpses of images portrayed by these grubs to destabilise and shift the fan base by repeatedly reporting negativity.
It's the template for the main stream media generally but taken to the depths of agenda and depravity by Murdoch media.

There always has to be a baddie. An individual or team or political movement that media moguls can target to appeal to their base to garner support and clicks.

With our religious and ethnic base and location, we will always be easy targets for DT and Fox for their herd mentality of needing a target. The Super League War didn't help us in the popularity stakes with the establishment and Gus being such a big personality to try and drag down has only added to the pile on.

Last edited:

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Sick of people using the excuse we had no ball, we had no ball because we kept dropping the f@$king thing!!
All we were doing was rucking the ball up field with one out runs and we still couldn’t hold on to the ball, fuck knows what would happen if we threw the ball around

we play like we have never seen the game before little own played it… our attack, we have no attack it’s like watching under sixes

yes our defence has improved be it only one game but going off last year it could hardly get worse! Although it is only round one and we did get worse as the season went on last year and we still had almost 30 points put on us so nothing to brag about there

Kiraz looks busted he can barely run, Taffe is playing like many predicted, our props wouldn’t trouble any NSW Cup side let alone NRL and our halves are just a bottle neck either stopping or slowing the ball getting to our backs

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I have been following rugby league since I was 8 years old, I am now 74 years of age, I played rugby league for many years at schoolboys but not top grade, my whole family and in laws are rugby league people, I've been around a while, including seeing the great Bulldogs teams of the 1980s, I used to coach and umpire other sports, I believe I am a wise head. Coach Ciraldo is not up to top standard and Gus is losing his mojo unfortunately. I am a voting member of the Bulldogs Football Club and the Leagues Club. I am entitled to my opinion. I am not asking you to like it.
Mick Potter just like Dean Pay is a failed coach at first grade level. Both great players though. It is too early to judge Ciro

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Potter didn't want the NRL job, he's very happy coaching NSW Cup. He loves coaching players but not the mountain of extra shit that NRL coaches have to put up with.

Always a Bulldog

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Mick Potter just like Dean Pay is a failed coach at first grade level. Both great players though. It is too early to judge Ciro
It's not to early to judge how the team is performing and where the 1%ers have not been addressed (at this stage). There are still glaring problems with our kicking game, the enthusiasm of some players to get involved, the neglect of the left edge functioning, the bench rotations and favs selections.

Hopefully he can address those issues and it improves.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm more disappointed that we beat ourselves more than the Eels beating us, I don't see how Ciraldo can be proud of that. They had more possession because we kept turning over the ball.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's not to early to judge how the team is performing and where the 1%ers have not been addressed (at this stage). There are still glaring problems with our kicking game, the enthusiasm of some players to get involved, the neglect of the left edge functioning, the bench rotations and favs selections.

Hopefully he can address those issues and it improves.
I will give at least half the season before righting him off. Most coaches would struggle with the worst middles and spine in the comp. I will see what we look like after 10 rounds

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Sick of people using the excuse we had no ball, we had no ball because we kept dropping the f@$king thing!!
And who was it that made the 13 Handling Errors?
Wilson 4
Kiraz 2
Burton 2
Preston 1
Salmon 1
Hughes 1
JAC 1
Taaffe 1

Penalties 7, they don't help when it comes to possession;
Kikau 2
Salmon 2
King 1
Burton 1
Mann 1

Ruck Infringements 3 of those;
Hutchison 1
Mahony 1
Mann 1

Something interesting, we did not get 1 Set Restart and Parramatta were not pinged once for a Ruck Infringement or being Inside the 10. In some ways a Set Restart is far more valuable than a Penalty.

Always a Bulldog