Dog advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rottie

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm about to buy a dog for the first time in my life, I know very little about dogs.
i want this dog to protect my family and house especially when I'm not there, I also don't want a dog that jumps all over me when I get home and barks at every thing. I thought German Shepards could be trained well, but their hair has ruled them out.
so I googled and googled and I think I've found the scary monster I have been after.
the Italian cane corso, very big very intimidating looking dog and apparently very intelligent.
im going to invest about 6 grand including obedience training, guard training and attack training by some guy called Lindsay something apparently the best in Australia (I do not know this as fact as I haven't done research yet)

has as anyone had these dogs? I'm about to pay a deposit so I get first dibs is there any reason I shouldn't or are there any other suggestions you guys have?(must be scary looking + intelligent and strong)

I'm sure there is a few tips you guys can give me, im an amateur.
my backyard is all cement and cement driveway, we have quite a large veggie garden I'm going to turn half of it into grass. And I'm thinking of going all out and buying him a used couch as a bed

Am I missing anything?

I'm already having visions of me and him going for drives to the beach and the runs, I'm looking forward to not having to lock my car when I'm with him hahaha, so ****n excited!!!

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
get a pit bull....if you can lock it up when kids are around.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Buy a Rotty, amazing dogs. Never owned one but my mates family used to breed them and i have plenty of experience around them

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I have a blue Staffy ticks all the boxes, great with kids, not too big and good luck to someone who jumps the fence!

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm about to buy a dog for the first time in my life, I know very little about dogs.
i want this dog to protect my family and house especially when I'm not there, I also don't want a dog that jumps all over me when I get home and barks at every thing. I thought German Shepards could be trained well, but their hair has ruled them out.
so I googled and googled and I think I've found the scary monster I have been after.
the Italian cane corso, very big very intimidating looking dog and apparently very intelligent.
im going to invest about 6 grand including obedience training, guard training and attack training by some guy called Lindsay something apparently the best in Australia (I do not know this as fact as I haven't done research yet)

has as anyone had these dogs? I'm about to pay a deposit so I get first dibs is there any reason I shouldn't or are there any other suggestions you guys have?(must be scary looking + intelligent and strong)

my backyard is all cement and cement driveway, we have quite a large veggie garden I'm going to turn half of it into grass. And I'm thinking of going all out and buying him a used couch as a bed

Am I missing anything?

I'm already having visions of me and him going for drives to the beach and the runs, I'm looking forward to not having to lock my car when I'm with him hahaha, so ****n excited!!!
Wow, nice looking dogs. Did you check out this site?

http://www.itacor.com.au/

Rottie

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Some pics of the parents

These bad bad boys are ment to have international champion bloodlines or some crap

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

Am I missing anything?

Yes! The king of dogs, beautiful temperament to whoever it considers to be its master and family, suspicious of strangers though if you go through all the right training he'll be fine.

It doesn't need too much room provided it gets plenty of exercise and stimulation, but if it doesn't the veggie patch and couch will be the victims.

Definitely get one, best dog I've ever owned, are you getting it from a breeder? Only things to watch out for are good scores for hip and joints in its parents, and try getting a puppy with tight jowls so it doesn't do too much drooling

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yes! The king of dogs, beautiful temperament to whoever it considers to be its master and family, suspicious of strangers though if you go through all the right training he'll be fine.

It doesn't need too much room provided it gets plenty of exercise and stimulation, but if it doesn't the veggie patch and couch will be the victims.

Definitely get one, best dog I've ever owned, are you getting it from a breeder? Only things to watch out for are good scores for hip and joints in its parents, and try getting a puppy with tight jowls so it doesn't do too much drooling
They are part of the Mastiff family aye? Have you ever seen a Dogo Argentino? Amazing dogs, my family in Italy own one. But you know, some genius decided to ban them over here.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
They are part of the Mastiff family aye? Have you ever seen a Dogo Argentino? Amazing dogs, my family in Italy own one. But you know, some genius decided to ban them over here.
Yeah, leaner then regular mastiffs - bred for war

Are you paisano Marley?

Yeah, why are they outlawed?

dogkat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
For something that size, don't forget to factor in food.

Plus don't forget vet bills.

Dog looks huge, so look forward to a 10km run every day.

Even though the dog has short hair, it will still need an occasional thorough brush and wash.

What's wrong with the hair on a german shepherd?

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Dog looks huge, so look forward to a 10km run every day.
Actually because it's so big and can overheat easily you shouldn't run much with them, especially with Australia's climate

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
$350 bucks Will get you a bull arab
My bitch is strong as an ox about knee height and built like a staffy loyal as all fukk very good with people and very good with kids will lay next to the baby and not even budge when she gets poked and proded . Being a hunting dog though once she picks up a scent I have a hard time holding her back and people do get very intimidated by her but shes a fukking pussy.

I honestly think with what you are suggesting with the training ect ect is absolutely overkill been cases with trained attack dogs when a kid strolled into a yard to retrieve his ball and was killed and is way over the top for a pet. By al means get a big strong dog raise it with kids and spend time with it and you wont really need all that expensive training.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yeah, leaner then regular mastiffs - bred for war

Are you paisano Marley?

Yeah, why are they outlawed?
Yh thought so, they all got the same sort of look. French Mastiffs are also another dog i love. Defs going to get myself a mean looking dog when i move out, atm i got a Cavoodle hah.

Mums side of the family is Italian and my dads side is Irish lol, but i was born here.

They are considered a "dangerous breed", some bs like that. I think the UK banned them and Australia just followed without any genuine reason.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Why do you feel you need a guard dog as opposed to say, a loving pet?

I have friends that have rottweilers for "protection" and tbh, it's more likely to kill one of their kids at random than actually stop a determined burglar.

Many dog breeds will protect the family they live with until their last breath whilst still being a great companion. ... even my rescued JRT will do that. 6 grand for a dog? Blimey.

My 2 cents.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
An American Staffy is a big intimidating looking dog but they're pretty excitable until they're trained. They're great with kids though. Even an English staffy looks intimidating but are a more manageable size for a first time dog owner. I agree with Croydon dog. Pick a dog as a pet and just hope its protective. I'd never train a pet to attack. Most dogs will be protective of their yard regardless of b whether they're trained. I'd prefer to have my house burgled than to have some random person attacked because they walk into my yard without knowing a dog is there.

cLEBrity

Mujnoon
Reaction score
Blue English Staffy,
research them, you wont find a better dog.
But please make sure you buy from a registered breeder with pedigree papers or you will have a
hefty vet bill going forward.
i got 4 english staforrdshires and and never ever caused me or my kids both under 6 any problems.

Rottie

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I Love pittys, but thers noone i can trust to buy such a vicious animal besides i dont think any legit training school would train a banned dog

Rottie

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah they were high on the list and was going to get one, but a blue cane corso is just so good looking

Rottie

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I have a blue Staffy ticks all the boxes, great with kids, not too big and good luck to someone who jumps the fence!
Yeah blue staffy is beautiful and im still considering this dog or a rotty

Status
Not open for further replies.