Does anyone know if johnno is gonna sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wyzguy

Bulldog Tragic
Reaction score
Was listening to talkin sport yesterday and tunksy reckons that johnno will want to join a club where he can win a premiership.. Does anyone have any inside news?

If we had johnno on the GF, we win!

Alex Hunter

Dog4Life
Reaction score
According to SMH this morning the Dogs are his preferred Sydney club as he sees us as his best chance of winning a comp.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Imagine this ... 2004 he wins his first premiership with the Dogs.
2014 he wins his second and final!

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Honestly, i have a weird feeling that he will join the Bulldogs.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
A lot of players now are signing their last contracts with negotiations with what clubs can offer life after football.

Up at petrolsniffersville, Thurston is a legend and he will get a lot of community work and mentoring roles, however the money in that is not super great.

We are a rich club with plenty to offer and being in Sydney and involved in the media (especially being one of the best halfbacks there has ever been) he will have no problems making ends meet.

If I was in his shoes, I would want a premiership where I was the starting seven to end my career, one day I will be gone however my name in the record books will never disappear.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
According to SMH this morning the Dogs are his preferred Sydney club as he sees us as his best chance of winning a comp.
I heard this morning, from an informed insider, that we are prepared to offload Hodkinson and Halatau, with the retirement of Payne, to sure up Reynolds contract and to make a serious play for thurston.
Not sure how true, but this guys usualy on the money.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
cowboys have done nothing since 2005

thurston is great but wasting so much salary cap on one player is dangerous

stueymclaugh

Waterboy
Gilded
Reaction score
I live in Townsville, there is a lot of talk in the media about penrith and 1.2 million a season and Gus hooking him up with a media job at channel 9. Cowgirls also have high hopes and confidence in retaining him but won't pay that much, are hoping for loyalty and fact his fiance works at the cowgirls to sway it. Seems the fine tuning of salary cap is slowing things. I know he would increase our chances of a premiership dramatically (almost guaranteed) if played for dogs injury free. But that is a lot of coin / big chunk of cap.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
One must rememeber though he only played in 17 games in 3 years with us.

But he is most dangerous when playing alongside another good halves player that can compliment his game.

Reynolds is definitely that sort of player.

Now I wonder, if we did sign up Thurston would it only be (I reckon) 3 years, and the he'd slip into a mentor role with the club (and what a heck of a mentor he could be).

I wonder (if he did sign), if it would be whilst Moses Mbye or someone else is being trained up to succeed him in years to come.

(((((SMACK)))))

Jados Boutros
Reaction score
If we have signed Folau like a few people are saying then we wouldn't have enough money for JT. I believe we have the coaches and the Junior to fill the void.

terrylamb4lyfe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I heard this morning, from an informed insider, that we are prepared to offload Hodkinson and Halatau, with the retirement of Payne, to sure up Reynolds contract and to make a serious play for thurston.
Sounds like he read the article and made a few obvious assumptions tbh

I doubt thurston has made any sort of decision yet himself

Mallyboy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I hope we sign thurston but I can't see it happening. Penrith will make him an offer he won't be able to refuse. 1.2K is a lot of coin!!

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
1.2mil is alot of coin. Though it's with the Panthers.

1mil with the Dogs and a chance of winning a few more titles where you started might be more to him?

I can't imagine JT being the type of bloke to take 200k over a genuine threat to no threat.

MAD DOG

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1.2mil is alot of coin. Though it's with the Panthers.

1mil with the Dogs and a chance of winning a few more titles where you started might be more to him?

I can't imagine JT being the type of bloke to take 200k over a genuine threat to no threat.
do you realise what 200k is?

Kratos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A lot of players now are signing their last contracts with negotiations with what clubs can offer life after football.

Up at petrolsniffersville, Thurston is a legend and he will get a lot of community work and mentoring roles, however the money in that is not super great.

We are a rich club with plenty to offer and being in Sydney and involved in the media (especially being one of the best halfbacks there has ever been) he will have no problems making ends meet.

If I was in his shoes, I would want a premiership where I was the starting seven to end my career, one day I will be gone however my name in the record books will never disappear.
Yeah, our excellent relationship with the rugby league media would make him a shoe-in for a post-football media career...........

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't see any problem with that. Hodkinson wouldn't re-sign here if we got Thurston anyway. That's 270K off the cap from Hodko alone.

Halatau will be a bit older, and we have no problems with depth in the forwards anyway. So if Dene was on about 150-200K, we have about 400K free just from letting these guys go.

Then of course there is the cap increase. We could potentially have the coin to offer Thurston a pretty good deal + potential after football work and the chance at another premiership. Have to take into account how much it would cost to re-sign Reynolds too.

I definitely think there's a decent chance that we get JT.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
$1million a season for any one player is a big ask, thursto is getting on a bit now, if he was serious about wanting another premiership he has about 3 serious choices, storm, dogs, rabbits.
his asking price is what his manager is asking, if he wants to win the big one he will be at one of these 3 clubs for less

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Sounds like he read the article and made a few obvious assumptions tbh

I doubt thurston has made any sort of decision yet himself
He didn't say thurston had made a decision, he said we were freeing up money to make a serious play at him.

Status
Not open for further replies.