Rumour Dodd

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Anyone else read that article? Sounds like he’s keen for nrl and it linked raiders, us and dragons.

I’d imagine raiders with the English connect and the need of a wignton replacement.

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone else read that article? Sounds like he’s keen for nrl and it linked raiders, us and dragons.

I’d imagine raiders with the English connect and the need of a wignton replacement.
Lewis Dodd, star of St Helens RLFC in the Super League and arguably the best young talent in rugby league, has refused to rule out a future move to the NRL.

Off-contract at the end of the 2024 season, the future English international is remembered in Australia as the player who led his club to defeat the Penrith Panthers in the 2023 World Club Challenge.

It is understood that while he may be off-contract at the end of next season, he does have an option with St Helens RLFC to extend his tenure at the club, but there has yet to be an update on this situation.

However, he could be set to make more memories in Australia with the playmaker refusing to rule out a future move to the NRL.

A product of the renowned St Helens Academy, he signed with the club at the age of 15 before making his Super League debut three years later. Now 59 games into his career, Dodd could be looking at a change of scenery.
I don't know. You never know what is around the corner. What I've got to focus on - and what the lads have to focus on - is we're going into a new season and we're not champions," Dodd told UK publication The Mirror

If we talk again at the end of the year and we're champions, that's probably a better time to talk. But we've got a job to do this year and that's what me and the rest of the lads are focused on.”

If he does move to the NRL, the Canberra Raiders, Canterbury Bulldogs, and St George Illawarra Dragons will be the three main teams showing interest in Dodd due to their lack of halves.

His signing for the Raiders would be invaluable after they lost Jack Wighton, Matt Frawley and Brad Schneider. The club is struggling in experience and desperately needs a star to partner with young guns Kaeo Weekes and Ethan Strange.

The same can be said for the Dragons, who have failed to recruit a star playmaker - Ben Hunt is also set to depart the club at the end of his contract. They have also recently lost Talatau Amone and Ronald Volkman due to unforeseen circumstances.

Despite the Bulldogs having Matt Burton and Toby Sexton as their current halves pairing and having some great youngsters in Mitchell Woods and Alex Conti coming through their pathways system, Dodd would easily be the number one choice.

It would also allow Burton to move back into the centres and create a lethal outside-back partnership with Stephen Crichton, Josh Addo-Carr and Jacob Kiraz.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I like him. Played well against the Panthers. Not much separating the ESL halfbacks and the NRL halfbacks these days. Clearly, Reynolds DCE and Hughes might be the only exception. The standard for the NRL has really dropped, especially when you have guys like Flanno, Cooper Johns, Brooks, Foggarty, Ilais getting regular first grade gigs.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Have you met Dr Google ?

It’s really good, answers all your questions & delivers all the info you require at the flick of a button ..
True, but someone starting a thread should provide enough information so that people don't have to go searching elsewhere to find out what they are talking about.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
True, but someone starting a thread should provide enough information so that people don't have to go searching elsewhere to find out what they are talking about.
Sorry next time I’ll paste the article instead of asking if anyone read it…

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
The article is all conjecture. Dodds is not actively looking at these NRL clubs, nor are they claimed to be talking to him.
It is based on the fact that his contract is coming up at the end of this year, and some NRL clubs need an experienced halfback.

More empty journalism, pretending that every off contract player could be Bulldogs bound.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lewis Dodd, star of St Helens RLFC in the Super League and arguably the best young talent in rugby league, has refused to rule out a future move to the NRL.

Off-contract at the end of the 2024 season, the future English international is remembered in Australia as the player who led his club to defeat the Penrith Panthers in the 2023 World Club Challenge.

It is understood that while he may be off-contract at the end of next season, he does have an option with St Helens RLFC to extend his tenure at the club, but there has yet to be an update on this situation.

However, he could be set to make more memories in Australia with the playmaker refusing to rule out a future move to the NRL.

A product of the renowned St Helens Academy, he signed with the club at the age of 15 before making his Super League debut three years later. Now 59 games into his career, Dodd could be looking at a change of scenery.
I don't know. You never know what is around the corner. What I've got to focus on - and what the lads have to focus on - is we're going into a new season and we're not champions," Dodd told UK publication The Mirror

If we talk again at the end of the year and we're champions, that's probably a better time to talk. But we've got a job to do this year and that's what me and the rest of the lads are focused on.”

If he does move to the NRL, the Canberra Raiders, Canterbury Bulldogs, and St George Illawarra Dragons will be the three main teams showing interest in Dodd due to their lack of halves.

His signing for the Raiders would be invaluable after they lost Jack Wighton, Matt Frawley and Brad Schneider. The club is struggling in experience and desperately needs a star to partner with young guns Kaeo Weekes and Ethan Strange.

The same can be said for the Dragons, who have failed to recruit a star playmaker - Ben Hunt is also set to depart the club at the end of his contract. They have also recently lost Talatau Amone and Ronald Volkman due to unforeseen circumstances.

Despite the Bulldogs having Matt Burton and Toby Sexton as their current halves pairing and having some great youngsters in Mitchell Woods and Alex Conti coming through their pathways system, Dodd would easily be the number one choice.

It would also allow Burton to move back into the centres and create a lethal outside-back partnership with Stephen Crichton, Josh Addo-Carr and Jacob Kiraz.
Pure speculations...
Like they said we have Sexton Hutchison Taaffe BBO and the brightest young sevens in the game in Woods and Conti, why would we go for an NRL unproven and expensive English halfback ?
Props are what's urgently needed now !
I ask, what are the possibilities of swapping one of our halves for one of the Canberra props ? :mask:

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
The article is all conjecture. Dodds is not actively looking at these NRL clubs, nor are they claimed to be talking to him.
It is based on the fact that his contract is coming up at the end of this year, and some NRL clubs need an experienced halfback.

More empty journalism, pretending that every off contract player could be Bulldogs bound.
Think also re his manager and aus link.