Do people have an obligation to their employer not to look like a blob?

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I go to work I meet people, usually dressed in business attire, a tie, business shoes etc.

But sometimes when I go to coles or Woolworths and people I do business with in the day look professional, but after hours look like an absolute blob. Bad clothing, thongs that show ugly feet, dishevelled hair, unshaven. A complete horror show.

how am I supposed to see them as a professional during the day when they look like a blob after hours?

dont people have a duty to their employer not to bring the workplace into disrepute by looking like a blob out of hours?

it’s like your nice to people during the day but as soon as you drove out the workplace carpark, you give your business associate the bird and some foul mouthed language.

what people do in their own time impacts their work. So come on people dress properly on the weekend in the event you bump into someone from work / customer etc.

agree?

• Haha
Reactions: 88

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It depends if you're a striper...

• Haha
Reactions: 88

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
When I go to work I meet people, usually dressed in business attire, a tie, business shoes etc.

But sometimes when I go to coles or Woolworths and people I do business with in the day look professional, but after hours look like an absolute blob. Bad clothing, thongs that show ugly feet, dishevelled hair, unshaven. A complete horror show.

how am I supposed to see them as a professional during the day when they look like a blob after hours?

dont people have a duty to their employer not to bring the workplace into disrepute by looking like a blob out of hours?

it’s like your nice to people during the day but as soon as you drove out the workplace carpark, you give your business associate the bird and some foul mouthed language.

what people do in their own time impacts their work. So come on people dress properly on the weekend in the event you bump into someone from work / customer etc.

agree?
I agree, but you forgot to emphasise how most people who think they're professional?
Generally have breath, which makes you think they prefer eating dog shit sandwiches?

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Fuck that, I look like a slob while at work. I'll do the work, just pay me my fucking money. Pretty simple, it's not a Mr Universe competition.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Fuck that, I look like a slob while at work. I'll do the work, just pay me my fucking money. Pretty simple, it's not a Mr Universe competition.
Depends on the job you're working.
If you work in concierge or security they expect you to shave and have a haircut.

I used to work as a labourer and in warehousing.
You can look like a hobo in that job.

If I ever go back to a job where they expect me to shave?
I'll grow a Colonel Gaddafi moustache and goatee!

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Subbie here. If I meet you at the job site with a fresh haircut and suit pants I'll charge you an extra $20-30 an hr
The one thing you learn quickly when it comes to construction. If you want to impress, where a collared shirt with your jeans. If you want to lose the job, where a suit.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I dress appropriate to the situation. If I'm meeting with a young CEO, or a newish company, it's nice pants and a button up collared shirt. If I'm meeting with the CEO of a company that has been around for decades, it's a full suit with tie. And not a cheap suit. $1,500 minimum. If I'm meeting with builders, it's jeans, a nice button up shirt, and PPE.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Corporate pride, thats why railway wash their locos, look good, feel good.

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
This won't work on Greeks or Maltese people though!
But Greeks and Maltese give you free stuff and expensive bottles of scotch though..

The one thing you learn quickly when it comes to construction. If you want to impress, where a collared shirt with your jeans. If you want to lose the job, where a suit.
If you want to impress don't ask for an itemised quote. I will factor in the coffees I bought my boss 20 years ago that facilitated my growth :tearsofjoy:

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
But Greeks and Maltese give you free stuff and expensive bottles of scotch though..

If you want to impress don't ask for an itemised quote. I will factor in the coffees I bought my boss 20 years ago that facilitated my growth :tearsofjoy:
The Greeks always have something to tell you and don't like being talked over.
That's not just a Guido Hatzis stereotype.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dress appropriate to the situation. If I'm meeting with a young CEO, or a newish company, it's nice pants and a button up collared shirt. If I'm meeting with the CEO of a company that has been around for decades, it's a full suit with tie. And not a cheap suit. $1,500 minimum. If I'm meeting with builders, it's jeans, a nice button up shirt, and PPE.
my point being if you dress appropriate for a ceo but at night the ceo sees you at the local pools in your Speedo doesn’t that change his or her perception of you?

you need to wear the $1500 suit to coles in case you bump into the ceo there.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Subbie here. If I meet you at the job site with a fresh haircut and suit pants I'll charge you an extra $20-30 an hr
I didn’t know you were subbie.
Indian? Desh? Paki? Which one?

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I agree. You never know when your going to bump into your boss or a co-worker. Always need to look the part.
Heres a holiday snap my wife took of me in Thailand. Just never know who's going to show up.
6109-08536450en_Masterfile.jpg

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree. You never know when your going to bump into your boss or a co-worker. Always need to look the part.
Heres a holiday snap my wife took of me in Thailand. Just never know who's going to show up.
View attachment 82304
Truth be told... I started a new job once. after the first week I had a wedding at mossman. I had a few hours to kill so I thought what the heck, went to the nude beach as I didn't have swimmers with me. I noticed some lady nude, standing over me, kept looking at me, like she wanted to chat or something. I didn't recognise her so I kept to myself ..

On Monday I walk into work and she is sitting two desks over. I didn't recognise her nude but she remembered me. She smirked at me every time she walked past for the next 6 months as I did to her. She had a mad body too. We never said anything about it. But lesson be learnt.

Ewan McGrady

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dress well for work and dress well for play. Never been offered a modelling contract and am no oil painting, but I’m representing my wife and family 24/7 so a bit of effort at all times I reckon. Get the bride’s ok before heading off…. Even after 30 years.