Did you notice Barrett having a quick chat with Cameron Munster last night ?

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Has to be hey. Could be one of the funniest posts I’ve ever read on here to be honest.
People judge him on his reputation, but the reality is Smith, Pap and Hughes have all been more consistently threatening this year. Hughes has overtaken Minster as Melbourne’s dominant half. Munster is their weak link. He took an 80 minute nap last night.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
People judge him on his reputation, but the reality is Smith, Pap and Hughes have all been more consistently threatening this year. Hughes has overtaken Minster as Melbourne’s dominant half. Munster is their weak link. He took an 80 minute nap last night.
LOLLLL idk if you could ever use the words “weak link” and Munster in the same sentence bro.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
LOLLLL idk if you could ever use the words “weak link” and Munster in the same sentence bro.
Only when you’re talking about the Melbourne storm spine, or he snd three other random guys lined up to represent Australia in a best facial hair competition.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Smith constantly played to Hughes. It was obviously a plan going into the game. Munster had a great year. Single handedly won games.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Smith constantly played to Hughes. It was obviously a plan going into the game. Munster had a great year. Single handedly won games.
Name one? Hughes played 19 games, Munster played 18. Hughes scored 7 tries to Munster's 4, had almost double the amount of try assists (15-8), had 9 lbas to Munster's 7, 8 forced drop outs to Munster's 7 and a marginally better tackling efficiency. The only areas where Munster beats bhim are run metres, offloads and he made a few more tackles.

Yes I'm being a bit hyperbolic and was trolling a bit in calling him a weak link, of course he is a quality player. But it is not incorrect to say he was the member of Melbourne's spine who stood out the least this year. We will likely get both Flanno and Burton for the money we'd have to spend on Munster and still have plenty of change. I also don't think he'd be as influential if he left Melbourne and wasn't surrounded by superstars. No point talking to him. We have signed one emerging half and are on the cusp of signing another. We need a hooker, not Munster. If we get JAC too, even better.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Haha exactly. The poor bloke has been playing absolutely busted for months
He missed two games and has been back for ages. How long can you use that as an excuse?

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
He missed two games and has been back for ages. How long can you use that as an excuse?
Only 2 games? He’s been playing on one leg and is still one of the best players in the game

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Only 2 games? He’s been playing on one leg and is still one of the best players in the game
Sorry, I think I got a bit dyslexic. Actually 5 games, I believe. But you're still hiding behind injuries to gloss over the fact his footy this year was not as good as he has delivered in previous seasons. He was not one of the best players in the game this year. Not even one of the best halves. Cleary, Hughes, Luai, Reynolds, Walker, Wighton, Keary, Flanagan, Benji, Shaun Johnson, George Williams all outplayed him. There may be more I'm forgetting. 2020 was an underwhelming year by his standards and while he is undeniably a quality player, I think he would go down a few notches without Melbourne's set up and we could get a lot more bang for buck elsewhere.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Sorry, I think I got a bit dyslexic. Actually 5 games, I believe. But you're still hiding behind injuries to gloss over the fact his footy this year was not as good as he has delivered in previous seasons. He was not one of the best players in the game this year. Not even one of the best halves. Cleary, Hughes, Luai, Reynolds, Walker, Wighton, Keary, Flanagan, Benji, Shaun Johnson, George Williams all outplayed him. There may be more I'm forgetting. 2020 was an underwhelming year by his standards and while he is undeniably a quality player, I think he would go down a few notches without Melbourne's set up and we could get a lot more bang for buck elsewhere.
Carrying injuries and being on one leg makes football very difficult but he played in a key position in a club that just won the comp so couldn’t have played too bad.
He didn’t have his best year but to call him a weak link wasn’t the way I would put it. I’d buy him in a heartbeat

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Name one? Hughes played 19 games, Munster played 18. Hughes scored 7 tries to Munster's 4, had almost double the amount of try assists (15-8), had 9 lbas to Munster's 7, 8 forced drop outs to Munster's 7 and a marginally better tackling efficiency. The only areas where Munster beats bhim are run metres, offloads and he made a few more tackles.

Yes I'm being a bit hyperbolic and was trolling a bit in calling him a weak link, of course he is a quality player. But it is not incorrect to say he was the member of Melbourne's spine who stood out the least this year. We will likely get both Flanno and Burton for the money we'd have to spend on Munster and still have plenty of change. I also don't think he'd be as influential if he left Melbourne and wasn't surrounded by superstars. No point talking to him. We have signed one emerging half and are on the cusp of signing another. We need a hooker, not Munster. If we get JAC too, even better.
Stats are very dangerous. Munster would command a lot more respect from defending players. The opposition coaches would have plans to nullify him more than Hughes. I’m not saying I won’t him, I just reckon he’s one of the games elite players.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Carrying injuries and being on one leg makes football very difficult but he played in a key position in a club that just won the comp so couldn’t have played too bad.
He didn’t have his best year but to call him a weak link wasn’t the way I would put it. I’d buy him in a heartbeat
Lol I already admitted I was being hyperbolic and fishing a little in calling him a "weak link", but in all honesty, he wasn't one of the main reasons they won the comp this year. He was lucky enough to be playing in a side with a great spine, great forward pack and quality outside backs. No denying he is a great player at his best, but as I said, I think we could get much more bang for the buck he would command elsewhere. Not worth talking to, IMO. We just signed a quality young half and another is apparently on the way. He's not what we need. We need a hooker, a fullback or outside back and some more oomph up front.

Last edited:

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Stats are very dangerous. Munster would command a lot more respect from defending players. The opposition coaches would have plans to nullify him more than Hughes. I’m not saying I won’t him, I just reckon he’s one of the games elite players.
He's definitely an e;lite player, mate. As I said in my previous post, I was being hyperbolic and fishing a little in calling him a weak link....but I think if you're honest with yourself, you'd have to admit he wasn't at his best this year. Injuries may have played a part in that..... in any case, the thread is about Barrett talking to him. I hope they were talking about summer holiday plans and not about a potential contract. I'm sure that's all the chat was. We don't need Munster, he's too expensive and we have to shop a bit smarter because there are quite a few holes to fill in our roster.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just before Gallen interviewed Cameron Munster after the game last night did anyone else notice Barrett having a quick word in Munster's ear ?

Just maybe Barrett was telling him he'd like to talk.

Did anyone at the game notice Barrett approach JAC or anyone else ?

I also thought it was interesting to see Bellamy shouting like a man possessed into the walkie-talkie even when the Storm were up by 20 points. Seems Dean Pay never learned that passion when assistant coach under Bellamy. That was one of Dean's problems I think - being too nice.

Can't really imagine Trent Barrett getting too worked up either.
Munster will be Storms' next captain so it won't happen

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Meh.... Munster has been overshadowed by Smith, Pap, and Jarome Hughes this year. Take him out of the storm structure and I don’t think he’d be anything special, tbh.
I hate to say it (being a Dogs n Blues fan) but Munster is a true footballer, one of the best in the game(injuries aside)
What I mean by that is he can react to what he see"s during a game, makes decisions on the run, backs himself & is an out & out winner. Compared to the vast majority of league players these days he is a genius. Most players or recent years are identified early as good athletes, physical specimens & taught to play systems. They don't have the ability to read games, make decisions on the run or improvise. He is a old style, competitive as they come footballer playing against possibly superior athletes who can't think on their feet out there with them relying on runners/coaches standing behind them, (like under 8's) telling them where to run & what to do as they are incapable of working it out themselves!
He is a winner in the mold of Wally...not saying he is as good, just that he competes for everything & makes things happen! If I was playing I would love to have him on my side!!(or try to bury him if he was an opponent!! - though I would have been to slow & not good enough to get it done in all likelyhood!)

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Munster was playing injured on 1 leg!