News Did Phil Gould get guilty about RFM drama? Brent Read thinks so (says Gus is lying)

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
Did Phil Gould get an attack of the guilts over how Bulldogs have treated Raymond Faitala-Mariner?

Phil Gould knows better than most how the media works, so his whinge about being pictured at an awkward meeting says plenty about where the Bulldogs are really at, writes BRENT READ.

Phil Gould isn’t exactly renowned for his sense of humour but the Bulldogs head of football gave us a good old laugh this week. A real side splitter.

It all began when Gus caught up with once-exiled forward Raymond Faitala-Mariner last weekend only days after he had been told to stay away from training.

It just so happened the meeting was caught on a phone camera by someone who was sitting in the vicinity.

Gould was apparently unimpressed so he - or someone close to him - pored over CCTV footage to identify the culprit.

Even shared the footage with a member of the media from a rival publication, perhaps in an attempt to help identify those with their hands on the offending phone.

Having satisfied himself that it was a professional photographer, Gould then took to social media to let the world know.

Not that he had an issue of course. No big deal in his eyes. It’s just that members of the Canterbury League Club were gravely offended and wanted to track down the culprit.

Gould even took to social media to explain how the whole thing played out, insisting he wasn’t really bothered by it all.

“I never care about these things, however, the club is rightfully unimpressed,” Gould wrote.

“Leagues Club CCTV has recorded the person responsible. He has now been identified. I am told that he is a professional photographer.

“I have an image of him, and we also have his name. Again, these things never worry me.

“But I just wonder why a professional photographer happened to be at that particular venue, at that time of day, in a very quiet lounge of the club, and prepared to take the photo that he did? I find it hilarious.

“But I guess that’s the world in which we live. Hope you are all enjoying your weekend.”

The responses to Gould’s diatribe were insightful.

This, after all, was a man who once said that if you see him in a meeting in public, it’s because he wants to be seen. Or words to that effect anyway.

Some suggested if Gould was hellbent on keeping the meeting private, perhaps he should have used his office. Maybe even the boardroom.

Anywhere but a lounge at a very public cafe.

Another pointed out that for a bloke who didn’t care, Gould went to an awful lot of trouble to track down the person responsible and then share his findings with the world.

It’s all very contradictory. Gould, as a high-profile member of the media, makes a living out of dissecting the machinations of other football clubs and their teams.

Many consider him a genius.

It’s not uncommon to find the inner workings of his own football club on his own network, in the pages of another newspaper or in a certain Sunday column.

Yet Gould was quick to jump on his high horse on Sunday when this paper got the jump on the Dogs dealings with Faitala-Mariner, which on the face of it appear appalling.

A man who was club captain only a matter of months ago is being squeezed out, although he was thankfully welcomed back to training this week while he remains on their books.

The about-face may have had something to do with the intervention of the players union, which has been monitoring proceedings on multiple fronts at the Bulldogs.

Perhaps someone pointed out to Gould and the Bulldogs that they were arguably in danger of breaching their contract with Faitala-Mariner had they continued to make him stay away.

Or maybe the club and Gould realised there is a way to treat people and Faitala-Mariner deserved better.

Perhaps when he took a break from the one-liners, Gould got an attack of the guilts.

Who knows? At least Faitala-Mariner is now being treated with a level of respect, something his time and service in the game warrants.

The other intriguing thing about the Faitala-Mariner situation is the Bulldogs remain active in the player market even though they have 30 players already under contract for next season.

That’s not including prop Sio Siua Taukeiaho, who is apparently yet to secure a release from French Super League club Catalans.

There are others on their radar as well. It suggests the clean out at the Dogs is far from over. Faitala-Mariner may not be the last player to cop the rough end of the pineapple.

Gould, meanwhile, continued his one-man comedy act later in the week.

“I’m in the Chinese restaurant if any photographers are looking for me,” he wrote on social media on Tuesday.

Sorry Gus, you’re actually not that interesting. But feel free to let us know next time you sit down with one of your players for a difficult conversation.

More than happy to send a snapper along to capture the moment.

Brent Read
@brentread_7
November 17, 2023 - 12:00PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Let me be clear I’m not on the pile up on Gus here.
I just think the kennel deserves to know what is being written about Gus in the media.

He does bring up a sic point about the whole Gus bragging about knowing when to keep a meeting secret or not. That does indeed indicate Gus had some control of the situation.

Cheng

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
For once, no incidents with players during the offseason

Fuck all to report on, so lets go fishing with Gus and see if he bites!

I know you lurk the forums Ready, along with your bum chum Buzz, but if you want Gus to bite offer a Pearl Pearch or some Scampi you tightass

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
For once, no incidents with players during the offseason

Fuck all to report on, so lets go fishing with Gus and see if he bites!

I know you lurk the forums Ready, along with your bum chum Buzz, but if you want Gus to bite offer a Pearl Pearch or some Scampi you tightass
Although I do think Brent brings up a few good points , the tone of the article did feel a little personal I thought.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Maybe Gus pumped Readys' or Buzzs' missus back in the day uleh? Gangnam style?
You know why but?
Because Brent not into the woman.
Into the goat.

He the type who would like to make love to the goat at the edge of a cliff so every time it thinks it’s slipping and pulls back it goes back on him even even harder for a bigger pounding

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Almost as dumb as Gus for holding a crisis meeting in a public place then getting "surprised" when it turns up in the media.
I’m not really sure why Gus is acting so surprised at this, because he literally has boasted himself that if he holds a meeting in public he wants to be seen and if he wants to make it private, it’s private.

If he didn’t say that, I would understand Gus’ recent tweets but the fact is he did so what game is he playing?
I’m unsure but I do know it is a game

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I’m not really sure why Gus is acting so surprised at this, because he literally has boasted himself that if he holds a meeting in public he wants to be seen and if he wants to make it private, it’s private.

If he didn’t say that, I would understand Gus’ recent tweets but the fact is he did so what game is he playing?
I’m unsure but I do know it is a game
Yep...it's weird. If he arranged the meeting at the leagues club, he obviously wanted to be seen... but being seen only made him and the club look weak.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just another jouno who thinks it's all about them. Gus clearly had his own agenda and knew he couldn't terminate RFM so wanted to make a point by stringing it out in public a bit. Personally I would have preferred it to have been fully sorted before training started, but Gus had full control over that situation (except RFMs actions in the first place), whether you agree with his approach or not. I doubt Gus really cares about the photographer - since about August he's been deliberately trying to create a siege mentality at the club, hoping it will bring something out in the team.

Gus isn't perfect and makes some big mistakes, but he was fully on top of that one.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The Bulldogs' decision on player retention is crucial for the team's success, and one player who deserves careful consideration is Raymond Fatalia Mariner. Here are compelling reasons why Phil Gould should advocate for keeping Mariner at the Bulldogs.

1. **Versatility on the Field:**
Mariner's versatility is a valuable asset for the Bulldogs. His ability to play in various positions adds depth to the team, allowing for strategic adjustments during matches. This flexibility can be a game-changer in tight situations or when dealing with injuries to other key players.

2. **Consistent Performance:**
Mariner has consistently demonstrated his skills and commitment on the field. His work ethic and dedication to the team contribute positively to the Bulldogs' culture. A player with such consistency can serve as a role model for younger talents and bring stability to the team's overall performance.

3. **Leadership Potential:**
As a seasoned player, Mariner has the potential to evolve into a leader within the team. Phil Gould should consider the long-term benefits of retaining a player who can not only perform but also guide and inspire others. Mariner's leadership qualities could play a pivotal role in shaping the team's future.

4. **Community Engagement:**
Beyond the field, Mariner's involvement in community initiatives adds a positive image to the Bulldogs. Phil Gould should recognize the off-field contributions of Mariner in building the club's relationship with its fan base and the broader community. This aspect enhances the Bulldogs' brand and creates a more significant impact beyond the sports arena.

5. **Continuity in Team Dynamics:**
Stability within the squad is essential for fostering effective team dynamics. Retaining Mariner ensures continuity, allowing players to build stronger connections on and off the field. This cohesion can translate into better teamwork, understanding, and communication during matches.

In conclusion, Phil Gould should carefully evaluate the multifaceted contributions of Raymond Fatalia Mariner to the Bulldogs. From his on-field performance to his potential as a leader and community ambassador, Mariner brings a unique set of qualities that could significantly benefit the team. The decision to retain him should be seen as an investment in the Bulldogs' present and future success.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
The Bulldogs' decision on player retention is crucial for the team's success, and one player who deserves careful consideration is Raymond Fatalia Mariner. Here are compelling reasons why Phil Gould should advocate for keeping Mariner at the Bulldogs.

1. **Versatility on the Field:**
Mariner's versatility is a valuable asset for the Bulldogs. His ability to play in various positions adds depth to the team, allowing for strategic adjustments during matches. This flexibility can be a game-changer in tight situations or when dealing with injuries to other key players.

2. **Consistent Performance:**
Mariner has consistently demonstrated his skills and commitment on the field. His work ethic and dedication to the team contribute positively to the Bulldogs' culture. A player with such consistency can serve as a role model for younger talents and bring stability to the team's overall performance.

3. **Leadership Potential:**
As a seasoned player, Mariner has the potential to evolve into a leader within the team. Phil Gould should consider the long-term benefits of retaining a player who can not only perform but also guide and inspire others. Mariner's leadership qualities could play a pivotal role in shaping the team's future.

4. **Community Engagement:**
Beyond the field, Mariner's involvement in community initiatives adds a positive image to the Bulldogs. Phil Gould should recognize the off-field contributions of Mariner in building the club's relationship with its fan base and the broader community. This aspect enhances the Bulldogs' brand and creates a more significant impact beyond the sports arena.

5. **Continuity in Team Dynamics:**
Stability within the squad is essential for fostering effective team dynamics. Retaining Mariner ensures continuity, allowing players to build stronger connections on and off the field. This cohesion can translate into better teamwork, understanding, and communication during matches.

In conclusion, Phil Gould should carefully evaluate the multifaceted contributions of Raymond Fatalia Mariner to the Bulldogs. From his on-field performance to his potential as a leader and community ambassador, Mariner brings a unique set of qualities that could significantly benefit the team. The decision to retain him should be seen as an investment in the Bulldogs' present and future success.
Very well written Mr Cappucino.
That must have taken you a while to write up. Arabic Intelligence on full display.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yeah Gus can’t sleep at night because of it. Who gives a flying fuck this forum is 95% crap now days the rare few with a good footy opinion are bombarded by mindless pricks. The clubs approaching this rebuild in an appropriate manner prioritising the youth and rejuvenating the club from its roots. That will translate to first grade in time anyone that says otherwise wants to see us fail. Constructive criticism and debate is neseccary, those who are vilifying the clubs every move however are the epitome of what’s kept us at the bottom for so long.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
You know why but?
Because Brent not into the woman.
Into the goat.

He the type who would like to make love to the goat at the edge of a cliff so every time it thinks it’s slipping and pulls back it goes back on him even even harder for a bigger pounding
Are you saying Brent And 04 Dreaming are the same person??? Interesting.