Des Hasler

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Many people comment on how he was a traitor & coaches differently under Manly & when he was with us.. I see it very differently..

I actually think the biggest problem with Des is that he hasn't changed much as a coach from all his time..

In his time here he persisted with honest solid FGers in sometimes critical positions like Perrett Hodko Wright etc.. He didn't look to sign superstars.. He also liked more defensive hookers and let Cook go..

Fast forward to Manly now same story.. he has inherited a better spine with Turbo & DCE but let go of Api Korosiau (who's been one of the form hookers similar to Cook), and he likes to persist with solid but unspectacular players like Garrick Parker Gosiewski etc etc & not look to sign big name players..

Been the same story his whole time as coach.. I can't agree with Anyone who says he deliberately stuffed up in his time here..

TBH our time with Des was the best it's been since we had Folkes.. KMoore & Dean Pay both Bulldogs men achieved far less..

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Many people comment on how he was a traitor & coaches differently under Manly & when he was with us.. I see it very differently..

I actually think the biggest problem with Des is that he hasn't changed much as a coach from all his time..

In his time here he persisted with honest solid FGers in sometimes critical positions like Perrett Hodko Wright etc.. He didn't look to sign superstars.. He also liked more defensive hookers and let Cook go..

Fast forward to Manly now same story.. he has inherited a better spine with Turbo & DCE but let go of Api Korosiau (who's been one of the form hookers similar to Cook), and he likes to persist with solid but unspectacular players like Garrick Parker Gosiewski etc etc & not look to sign big name players..

Been the same story his whole time as coach.. I can't agree with Anyone who says he deliberately stuffed up in his time here..

TBH our time with Des was the best it's been since we had Folkes.. KMoore & Dean Pay both Bulldogs men achieved far less..
Because too much money locked up on small number of individuals, he tries to play moneyball with the rest of the team.
He fucked up letting Cook go, but I think in fairness, he was letting Api go because Fainu is a weapon and is younger.
No one thought he was going to get all stabby and get himself in trouble.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Hasler doesn't actually have a lot of choice, he has $3.3m tied up in TT, JT and DCE (the NRL's most expensive player), plus Tapau and Suli there's another $1.25m, add in Walker and that's more than half of their Cap tied up in 6 players. There really is no choice but to chase value for money players for the other 24 positions.

Go Dogs

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Willie Mason wanted to come back for a year or 2, he met with Des and All Des talked about was how good Tolman was, he said he was the best in the league, Mason left and vowed never to work with him as he was off his head, i agree! would have been nice to see Mason in the Blue and White again though

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
At the time it was the right decision to let Koroisau go to keep Fainu. The two of them were neck and neck and anyone who watched Manly play in 2019 play would tell you Fainu was the better hooker out of the two. As a coach you can't predict one of your players is going to go out and stab someone. Manly don't have the salary cap to bring in big name players (3m tied up between 3 players), and a lot of the players you've listed Des has got the best out of (especially Parker).

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hasler did a great job with Manly in his first stint there... the Sea Eagles were in a poor spot and suffered a record making loss and yet he only missed the finals once and won two premierships, including against a cap breaching Storm... he was loyal to his players (eg. Brett Stewart) who were loyal in return, utilised analytics, untraditional healing methods, recorded and highly scrutinized player training etc. to get the best results

with the 'Dogs, we made the finals every year but one, won a minor premierships and played in two GFs

on the other hand, Hasler proved to be too rigid in his coaching philosophy... for example, Kent on NRL 360 noted that Hasler would note a statistic that the 'Dogs would win if our completion rate was over 80% and hence, the limited freedom to play what is in front of them provided to players (eg. Lichaa)

club retention was poor (eg. Finucane, Taupau, Cook)... club recruitment was poor (eg. Lichaa, Tony Williams, Aaron Woods)... under Des, it seemed like junior development was completely ignored --> who can Des claim to have identified, nurtured, and progressed through to FG at the 'Dogs of any note? as much of a f+*# up Barba was (admittedly, a huge one), what did Des do to manage the situation where Barba may have stayed? playing running wingers and centres with little to no playmaking skills at fullback (Brett Morris, Perrett, Hopoate)... no thought to the longer term well being of the FG squad and hence, the "win now" mentality leading to those damned back ended contracts (eg. Eastwood)... overpaying undeserving players (eg. Mbye) which together with the back-ended contracts screwed our salary cap and with the lack of attention to our juniors and the above-mentioned poor recruitment and retention led to a four year quest to simply avoid the wooden spoon

so, a mixed bag

as for Des' coaching of Manly now, I don't care

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

He also likes to pay those mediocre players overs and mortgages our future for short term success

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah he was great, only just coming out of his salary cap nightmare now.

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed I watched a bit of manly and they have become boring Hasler did inherit a goodish team and had early success and will see how good they are he has always tried to sign diamonds in the rough and pay peenuts for them that’s the pie thief’s cleals idea you watch he will turn manly the way we play
When all barrett wanted was money to upgrade there facilities and bring them out of 1990

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Hustler is old news, the nose whistle is long in the distance you can't hear it anymore.

Let him take Manly to a bottom four finish in 2021.

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Hasler doesn't actually have a lot of choice, he has $3.3m tied up in TT, JT and DCE (the NRL's most expensive player), plus Tapau and Suli there's another $1.25m, add in Walker and that's more than half of their Cap tied up in 6 players. There really is no choice but to chase value for money players for the other 24 positions.

Go Dogs
Sorry but I must correct you. DCE is not the NRLs highest paid player, that honour goes to David Fifita at the Titans he’s on 1.25 million per season.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Sorry but I must correct you. DCE is not the NRLs highest paid player, that honour goes to David Fifita at the Titans he’s on 1.25 million per season.
So is DCE (on $1.25m) , according to ZeroTackle (they round it to $1.3m) and the reports at the time.

Go Dogs

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hasler did a great job with Manly in his first stint there... the Sea Eagles were in a poor spot and suffered a record making loss and yet he only missed the finals once and won two premierships, including against a cap breaching Storm... he was loyal to his players (eg. Brett Stewart) who were loyal in return, utilised analytics, untraditional healing methods, recorded and highly scrutinized player training etc. to get the best results

with the 'Dogs, we made the finals every year but one, won a minor premierships and played in two GFs

on the other hand, Hasler proved to be too rigid in his coaching philosophy... for example, Kent on NRL 360 noted that Hasler would note a statistic that the 'Dogs would win if our completion rate was over 80% and hence, the limited freedom to play what is in front of them provided to players (eg. Lichaa)

club retention was poor (eg. Finucane, Taupau, Cook)... club recruitment was poor (eg. Lichaa, Tony Williams, Aaron Woods)... under Des, it seemed like junior development was completely ignored --> who can Des claim to have identified, nurtured, and progressed through to FG at the 'Dogs of any note? as much of a f+*# up Barba was (admittedly, a huge one), what did Des do to manage the situation where Barba may have stayed? playing running wingers and centres with little to no playmaking skills at fullback (Brett Morris, Perrett, Hopoate)... no thought to the longer term well being of the FG squad and hence, the "win now" mentality leading to those damned back ended contracts (eg. Eastwood)... overpaying undeserving players (eg. Mbye) which together with the back-ended contracts screwed our salary cap and with the lack of attention to our juniors and the above-mentioned poor recruitment and retention led to a four year quest to simply avoid the wooden spoon

so, a mixed bag

as for Des' coaching of Manly now, I don't care
Good summation. Playing to stats was the wrong way to coach. Stats are a guide, not a plan.

If you tell a player that he has to run x many metres a game or his position could be in doubt, then he'll just run his required number of metres - even if it means denying a player the ball when he is unmarked and could score.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score

Letting go of Reynolds, Cook, Tapau, and others, as well as signing that dud Keiran Foran on a ridiculous amount of money were at the top of many other stupid things that idiot done.

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Go Dogs
Yes Manlys cap is in disarray again. DCE’s money goes up every year I believe also