Des Hasler will get Canterbury Bulldogs back on track, says Warren Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Des Hasler will get Canterbury Bulldogs back on track, says Warren Ryan

Hasler remains, Mortimer resigns

Canterbury coaching great Warren Ryan says the club has put "unnecessary pressure" on Des Hasler, but believes the two-time premiership-winning mentor is capable of making the changes required to transform the Bulldogs into genuine title contenders next year.

Hasler survived the threat of the axe at an emergency board meeting at ANZ Stadium on Friday, at which directors discussed the clipboard holder's future. However, legendary clubman Steve Mortimer stood down as a director, a consequence of his decision to publicly question Hasler's suitability for the role.

Hasler is guaranteed to see out the final year of his contract, although speculation will continue about his long-term future after the board held off on ratifying a two-year contract extension.

Ryan, who won back-to-back titles coaching Canterbury in 1984-85, said Hasler was capable of making the adjustments required to the side's "ponderous" playing style.

"They have put unnecessary pressure on Des, but he will sort out the necessary steps to play a brand of football that is a bit more threatening than the one they are currently playing," Ryan said.

"They look ponderous at the moment because their play is too forward dominated. Their halves have got to do more, blind Freddie can see that.

"Des is smart enough to get it happening because his record shows he's a successful coach. If Blind Freddie can see the problem, I'm sure Des can."

Hasler has coached the side to five consecutive finals appearances, including two grand finals. However, the inability to win a premiership during that period, coupled with Mortimer's observation the club was "losing our DNA" with Hasler at the helm, increased the pressure on the former Manly mentor.

Hasler will now need to adhere to a stricter budget and will have less control over all operations of the football program. However, it is the playing style that will likely require the greatest overhaul.

Ryan said it was necessary to fast-track the development of Moses Mbye into a dominant halfback and give his skilful forwards, such as James Graham, more options when carrying the ball.

Bygone era: Ryan and Steve Mortimer, during his playing days, have been vocal in support and criticism of Hasler's regime. Photo: Supplied
"James Graham isn't going to the line with all the options they had when they were playing very well a few years ago," Ryan said.

"He used to have an inside option, a short option on the outside of his hip and one at the back if needed. He's going to the line on his own now when he can ball play.

"The development of the half [Mbye] is most important. He hasn't developed under the regime of forward-dominated play. When he does cut loose, he has speed, so he can provide quite an injection of attack to the team that was missing.

"Des is smart and will sort out what is required, so you will see a better performance from them next year."

Mortimer will remain a director on the Canterbury Leagues Club board and has also agreed to remain involved with the club via an alumni program Hasler will oversee to mentor younger players. Mortimer's departure has left a vacancy on the Bulldogs board that is expected to be filled during the off-season.

The Bulldogs will have some important recruitment and retention decisions to make going forward, although it is unclear with whom they will rest. Former talent spotters Noel Cleal and Jim Whitney have left the club and replacements are yet to be named.

Former NSW pivot Josh Reynolds headlines a list of key players off contract at the end of next year that includes fullback Will Hopoate, hooker Michael Lichaa and prop Aiden Tolman.

Nice Ryan Mortimer pic! Those were the days!

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He doesn't back Des lol

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Why is everyone so far up desballs ass ,
If des is a smart coach then why the fuck didn't he change things earlier .
I rate Des as much as anyone here but I admit that this is a Sticky point for me. Like in the last debate when Hillary mouthed off about how great a president she would be and Trump just responded with 'if you were so good, why didn't you do it the last thirty years in office?' Same thing.

I'm thinking that whilst des wasn't into a winning gameplan, we weren't onto a loser if you get me. We skid from third to 6. Let's be real, that's hardly panic stations right there. Just looks bad about last month we were stale. We must always remember to keep the hysteria at a low and put it all in perspective .

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I rate Des as much as anyone here but I admit that this is a Sticky point for me. Like in the last debate when Hillary mouthed off about how great a president she would be and Trump just responded with 'if you were so good, why didn't you do it the last thirty years in office?' Same thing.

I'm thinking that whilst des wasn't into a winning gameplan, we weren't onto a loser if you get me. We skid from third to 6. Let's be real, that's hardly panic stations right there. Just looks bad about last month we were stale. We must always remember to keep the hysteria at a low and put it all in perspective .
Do you have any other sticky points?

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
W

we finished 7th on the back of 3 straight losses and penrith took 6th than they embarrassed us losing 4 in a row

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
W

we finished 7th on the back of 3 straight losses and penrith took 6th than they embarrassed us losing 4 in a row
Yes and this is exactly my point.

We came 7th (not 6 like I said, you are right) and we came 7th in the back of 3 losses after being in the top 4 weeks earlier. Then ran into a red hot Penrith with a mansour hellbent on revenge in the club that axed him as a kid. No one could have stopped Penrith at the time, but more importantly we suffered a form slump at the wrong time of the season, all teams have their slumps but ours came at the worst time, when normally our club gets it together by then, so we aren't used to the timing.

Nevertheless, we simply had a form slump. That's all it was. We must keep it into perspective and tinker, but not reinvent the wheel. We are nearly there. Good fullback and hooker and we will be unstoppable.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score

We came 7th (not 6 like I said, you are right) and we came 7th in the back of 3 losses after being in the top 4 weeks earlier. Then ran into a red hot Penrith with a mansour hellbent on revenge in the club that axed him as a kid. No one could have stopped Penrith at the time, but more importantly we suffered a form slump at the wrong time of the season, all teams have their slumps but ours came at the worst time, when normally our club gets it together by then, so we aren't used to the timing.

Nevertheless, we simply had a form slump. That's all it was. We must keep it into perspective and tinker, but not reinvent the wheel. We are nearly there. Good fullback and hooker and we will be unstoppable.
We made penrith look like a premiership looking team they went up against the canberra and got flooged .
We didn't have a slump we just had no game plan.

nassman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hahaha no one could have beaten Penrith, except for the team they played the following week who then comfortably beat Penrith.

Love your work nash :grinning:

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe we are just pushing for the premiership under the nrl adversity / hardship / good news story. As in we are in a mess, about to sack our coach and then he delivers

The 2nd Spitter

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I've very glad to see you have resumed taking your meds, Nash. I'm so proud of you!

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Who writes this shit? Board meeting at ANZ? It was at Belmore you fuckwit. Author knows sweet fa. Graham going to the line with options inside and out?circa 2012. He hasnt done that the last 4 years. Hopoate, Mbye where are you?

Mbye needs to be developed? He has speed so should be a threat but he has no voice and no footy logic where to stand. Could Mortimer and Lamb spend some time with the kid showing him where to stand, what to say, how to back up, how to grubber and chip kick. Whats that? Thats what a coach does? Oh sorry. Whos the coach again? He has a lot of work ahead of him. Many more late nights I reckon.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Who writes this shit? Board meeting at ANZ? It was at Belmore you fuckwit. Author knows sweet fa. Graham going to the line with options inside and out?circa 2012. He hasnt done that the last 4 years. Hopoate, Mbye where are you?

Mbye needs to be developed? He has speed so should be a threat but he has no voice and no footy logic where to stand. Could Mortimer and Lamb spend some time with the kid showing him where to stand, what to say, how to back up, how to grubber and chip kick. Whats that? Thats what a coach does? Oh sorry. Whos the coach again? He has a lot of work ahead of him. Many more late nights I reckon.
The board meeting on Friday was held at ANZ, not at Belmore.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
He says is smart enough to change it well youd think so but he hasnt changed a thing in 4 years

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
The board meeting on Friday was held at ANZ, not at Belmore.
Thanks for clarifying this. I thought it was incorrect but instead stand corrected myself. Humble pie.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying this. I thought it was incorrect but instead stand corrected myself. Humble pie.
This was done on purpose to fuck the media up lol too69u told me this would happen the day before.

Upupcronulla

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We made penrith look like a premiership looking team they went up against the canberra and got flooged .
We didn't have a slump we just had no game plan.
Would hardly say penrith got flogged. They were right into it until they gave away that penalty with a bit over 5 left

Status
Not open for further replies.