depressing

Status
Not open for further replies.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I can honestly say I have never felt so frustrated, Angry & down and depressed as I am now....

Since around 2013 my wife has constantly said to me, why do you watch the football you only get shitty......its only a game, to those that haven't been brought up on football they only see it as an interest, they aren't invested things like our current negative style, poor performances, being treated like mushrooms by the club and constantly kept in the dark on pretty much everything doesn't faze them.... they have the "there'll always be next week" attitude, even if that next week is actually months or years away in reality.

To the rest of us like myself we have more invested than just filling in some time watching a game of footy, most were brought up in a footy household where we grew up sitting around the tv with our family sharing the highs and lows and screaming out as if we were actually at the game or being out fishing or at BBQ's, or stuck in the car travelling and you'd be searching for the game on the radio like it was a matter of life and death for not only yourself but for all those with you and you were cheered like some hero when you found the footy on ABC Grandstand lol

To us when we think of the Bulldogs we don't just think of the players and the games, its like when an old song comes on the radio...we think of where we were and who we were with during our life time when some great bulldogs games were on and we remember those treasured memories and heart aches that we shared with our parents & grand parents (many of which are no longer with us) our kids (who have since grown up) our old work mates etc .....it becomes part of the fabric of who we are

I grew up in a bulldogs house, my first baby photo was in a bulldogs jump suit, and now when I try and continue the tradition with my kids they refuse to watch bulldogs games they claim they are too boring...my daughter tells me the bulldogs should play cricket because their games are as exciting as those test thingys I watch and it feels like the games drag on just as long, yet if the Cowboys, Raiders, Warriors etc are playing everyone in the house hold will happy watch the games

but getting back to my earlier point the reason our current situation hurts some of us more that others don't understand is we CAN see our club history fading away and being disrespected......which in turn is disrespecting our memories linked to that history and pulling apart that fabric, so when we get angry & frustrated we are also fighting to hold on to those memories and that blue and white fabric that has become part of who we are.....this is why it hurts some of us more & why we care

Having Steve "Turvey" Mortimer speak out this week was like having a hero of mine from my childhood step out of those memories and speak up for us and our memories because like many of us our words cannot be heard and are muffled out by the silence and PR coming from many higher up in our club by those who have no idea of what the Bulldogs actually mean to so many

anyway I best stopping dribbling on and embarrassing myself and get to bed

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whatever they did tonight, they better back it up! Can't wait to see how creative our supporters are going to get with the banners during next season!
' we will get pay-back' one I'm looking forward to is 'F'OFF DES and take Rae, Ray with you '

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Can anyone see us in any other position except bottom four next year in all honesty???

Parra Souths and roosters will improve
As to tigers with Moses and Tedesco free of Farah

I'm thinking bottom 3 with dragqueens and Knights

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
The Bulldogs stopped being a club and started being a business the minute Castle came on board.

History means nothing... living in the now does.

Who cares about what happened yesterday, or last week, or last year.. it's in the past and we can't change it. All we can do is look to the future, and put our trust in those that look after the club, that they have made the right decision.

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
I can honestly say I have never felt so frustrated, Angry & down and depressed as I am now....

Since around 2013 my wife has constantly said to me, why do you watch the football you only get shitty......its only a game, to those that haven't been brought up on football they only see it as an interest, they aren't invested things like our current negative style, poor performances, being treated like mushrooms by the club and constantly kept in the dark on pretty much everything doesn't faze them.... they have the "there'll always be next week" attitude, even if that next week is actually months or years away in reality.

To the rest of us like myself we have more invested than just filling in some time watching a game of footy, most were brought up in a footy household where we grew up sitting around the tv with our family sharing the highs and lows and screaming out as if we were actually at the game or being out fishing or at BBQ's, or stuck in the car travelling and you'd be searching for the game on the radio like it was a matter of life and death for not only yourself but for all those with you and you were cheered like some hero when you found the footy on ABC Grandstand lol

To us when we think of the Bulldogs we don't just think of the players and the games, its like when an old song comes on the radio...we think of where we were and who we were with during our life time when some great bulldogs games were on and we remember those treasured memories and heart aches that we shared with our parents & grand parents (many of which are no longer with us) our kids (who have since grown up) our old work mates etc .....it becomes part of the fabric of who we are

I grew up in a bulldogs house, my first baby photo was in a bulldogs jump suit, and now when I try and continue the tradition with my kids they refuse to watch bulldogs games they claim they are too boring...my daughter tells me the bulldogs should play cricket because their games are as exciting as those test thingys I watch and it feels like the games drag on just as long, yet if the Cowboys, Raiders, Warriors etc are playing everyone in the house hold will happy watch the games

but getting back to my earlier point the reason our current situation hurts some of us more that others don't understand is we CAN see our club history fading away and being disrespected......which in turn is disrespecting our memories linked to that history and pulling apart that fabric, so when we get angry & frustrated we are also fighting to hold on to those memories and that blue and white fabric that has become part of who we are.....this is why it hurts some of us more & why we care

Having Steve "Turvey" Mortimer speak out this week was like having a hero of mine from my childhood step out of those memories and speak up for us and our memories because like many of us our words cannot be heard and are muffled out by the silence and PR coming from many higher up in our club by those who have no idea of what the Bulldogs actually mean to so many

anyway I best stopping dribbling on and embarrassing myself and get to bed
I could not agree with you more and I could not have expressed it better than you did - Steve Mortimer is a part of the soul and the Club and the board just crapped on it! Arrggh!

pupmichelle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Bulldogs stopped being a club and started being a business the minute Castle came on board.

Who cares about what happened yesterday, or last week, or last year.. it's in the past and we can't change it. All we can do is look to the future, and put our trust in those that look after the club, that they have made the right decision.
History means nothing?

For you, life is without objective meaning, orintrinsic value and purpose.

You are a nihilist. A moral nihilist asserts that morality does not inherently exist, and that any established moral values are abstractly contrived.

That is no bulldog culture and spirit

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wifey is a Knights supporter (could be worse). Anyway, while they don't have the same history, what your feeling now no1b & NBD is how she felt after Brian Smith had his way with the Knights.

Before he came, they had a big local contingent and doing things "the Newcastle way" was very important.

When Smith came, certainly brought improvement in training facilities etc, but he dumped most of the locally grown players, and ran the team like a Sydney team.

Result? The fans lost that pure love for the team. Fans became saddened, angry and disillusioned.

Wifey still supports them but now doesn't really watch them play. Her no1 team now is the Swans.

This is what I see happening to the Dogs.

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I could not agree with you more and I could not have expressed it better than you did - Steve Mortimer is a part of the soul and the Club and the board just crapped on it! Arrggh!
Love Turvey and Baa to death but, this was not the first time Steve has caused political problems within our5 club, Steve was captain and Warren Ryan our coach, our team was known as "Warren Ryans Express" Steve as Captain also caused a lot of shit between himself Ryan, Bullfrog and the Board, was not long after that....Ryan said FO and departed.
Not real smart some of our Legends I am afraid.

Untamed

Previously wilddog
Reaction score

Who cares what happened yesterday?
Change your name to Mr Delusional lol

nassman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You summed it up perfectly champ, family get togethers with too much grog and not enough chairs, my god it's like you plucked the sepia tinted memories right out of my childhood.

I'm a first generation Aussy so I'd argue the meaning of this club and its value to the multicultural community throughout the western suburbs is much more important than most people would realise. And this significance is intrinsically tied to the values and principles that Canterbury used to stand for, surely the current administration should at least be aware of this??

The success we had in the 80's was in my opinion an enormous beacon of joy and happiness for so many. It gave the minority families that had migrated here in the 70s a path through which they could start to embrace the Australian culture and planted the seeds of assimilation.

It wasn't just the geographic significance for these families, this club was built on family values and hard work, the two things that had been successfully transported with them on the way here. They saw themselves in the fabric of the establishment. The words of bullfrog resonated in their consciousness.

We've always been a club happy to concede that we weren't the flashiest nor always possesed the most skillful players, rather making up for those omissions with sheer determination, perseverance and an iron will.

The Dogs of War served as a real life metaphor for the demographics of the entire area, fighting an uphill battle to try and establish a new life for their families. Never shirking away from the challenge, rather embracing it and using it as the fuel to go further and grow more resilient.

This club, and the pillars on which it was built mean so much to so many. What we've stood for in the past is fundamentally linked to our success and more so our relevance. There are many footy teams to follow, but there will never be a club like Canterbury.

If our current administration, coach, squad does not understand the significance of our identity at a first principles level, then this club is no more.

Last edited:

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
Since around 2013 my wife has constantly said to me, why do you watch the football you only get shitty......
This part is said to me almost every game and I just reply I hate watching it but I love it too much to not.

nassman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love what you wrote brother. Being a white middle class guy I was stoked when the supporter base of the bulldogs naturally morphed to take on the flavour of the lebanese and middle eastern people that emigrated into Belmore and Lakemba. All my brothers from another mother who made the place louder, more colourful and more passionate than it was before.
My little 3 year old boy loves watching the big boys in blue jerseys bashing the drums and singing doggies war songs!
Cheers bud, I'm stoked to hear that your little fella gets right into the drums and songs, actually a bit surprised by your views tbh I've got a skewed idea of how the caucasian contingent of our fanbase viewed the more recent additions lol.

I grew up in the Eastern suburbs after being born in Newcastle so I'm a bit of a 'behind enemy lines' kinda 1st genny..

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your post No1Bulldog and others, but I suggest we dont get depressed. What we have at the moment is a broken Football Club. We still have our history and the passion is ingrained in the place and in us!!!

Like most of you, I wanted Des gone now. Because each time I watch us, he is tearing apart my childhood memories of the Glossop Entertainers and Ryans Dogs of War. Mortimer most epitomises that time and feels the same as us. For me...THANK GOD he spoke out as he did. I dont know who Ray Dibb is...what contribution to the history of the Club hes made...but he certainly knows now that there is considerable unrest amongst fans and ex players and it wasnt just 1 disgruntled Board member speaking out of turn.

If we all get depressed though, then we will drift off and attach ourselves to another pastime other than the Dogs and wont care less what happens to the Dogs. I can tell you this would break Turveys heart.

THE FIGHT FOR CONTROL OF OUR CLUB HAS JUST BEGUN

There are many ex players and others who feel the same as us. I must admit that it does concern me that people like Gary Johnston (Jaycar) come out in support of Hasler and the media all said bar none that wed be mad to let Hasler go.....so this FIGHT will not be easy.

We owe it to the past players that toiled and fought with perseverance and injured themselves and have trouble getting out of bed now and walking, that wore the Blue and White with pride and determination. We owe it to the ex players who over the years have visited the schools of the area, who have battled through salary cap sagas and rape allegations to eventually lift the trophy aloft, who have visited hospitals and conducted skills days, to the older ex players, many no longer with us that taught us how to box at the Police Boys Clubs, we owe it to Bullfrog who is looking down on us now and rolling up his sleeves ready to go into battle to SAVE OUR CLUB.

The first shots have been fired by Turvey. At the Club Statement delivered by Dibb and Castle, they both looked anything but self assured or confident. They looked scared. They know that a GREAT CLUB...one of Australia's pre-eminent sporting Clubs, is in their hands and many many people are watching what they do.

WE SHALL FIGHT AND WE WILL PREVAIL.

Status
Not open for further replies.