1. The Kennel is saddened to hear of the passing of one of their much loved members (Izzy Forreal).

Kennelers are invited to pay their respects in the following threads:

Vale: Izzy Forreal

Official Site Statement
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be cool and Register to set your username and display picture get the full features of the site. Talk Bulldogs NRL News, match reviews, live score, ladder, injuries, player signings and team performance.

Defence

Discussion in 'Bulldogs Discussion' started by _G-Dog_, Mar 18, 2017.

1. _G-Dog_

_G-Dog_ Immortal

The effort in defence yesterday was very impressive

They say defence is all about attitude and committment and to keep to Warriors to 1 try from running play after 50 tackles in our redzone deserves a huge wrap

I know their are many here wanting a change in coach but the players are clearly still highly motivated to play under Des if the attitude & desperation in defence is anything to go by.

• Like Like x 5
    • Best Post Best Post x 2
  2. roy18

roy18 Forum Regular

Agreed, our defense on our try line was outstanding. I thought Jackson and Josh Morris were very good defensivly on the right side and Mbye did a great job rushing up on Shaun Johnson. Also how good was that try saver from Graham, the Warriors looked certain to score only for Graham to make that crucial tackle.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Spoonman84

Spoonman84 Kennel Enthusiast

Mbye's defence really stood out last night including a couple of try savers. He had a lot of big men sent his way and handled them really well.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ambrose

Ambrose Participant

Absolutely. The Warriors first try was the luck of the bounce. They didn't look like scoring

5. Gotenks

Gotenks Immortal Gilded

He had more trouble tackling SJ than the big forwards lol.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dognacious

Dognacious Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member Gilded

People are gamming on about how shit warriors were to discount the win. But good defence can make a side look bad in attack. In fact u hope it does

• Like Like x 3
  7. albatross

albatross Forum Regular

Good defence but terrible game management. And lets face it they were terrible and we still looked shaky against SJ. We played better against the Roosters. Still, 2 points in the bag makes me happy and I can see little areas improving. Bmoz has still got it and Josh Jackson is the man. Everything he does is quality.

• Like Like x 1
  8. KiwiDog7

KiwiDog7 Kennel Addict

Josh Jackson was on a mission to dominate Manu.

9. bulldogsfan_88

bulldogsfan_88 Left Right Out Gilded x2

Can't remember when but JMoz came up with a try saver at one stage too!! Look like they were really committed in defence like they were playing for each other again!! Loved seeing the commitment to each other & the team!!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Izzy Forreal

Izzy Forreal Much Loved Bulldogs Member Gilded x2 Premium Member Gilded

There's no doubt about it, good defence is a "must do" if a team wants to win matches.

But attack is just as important if not more so if we want to win a premiership. At the end of the season when the positions are sorted out for the top eight its the points for and against that work out the pecking order.

So its great to win matches but winning them by big margins gets you to the top.

11. KiwiDog7

KiwiDog7 Kennel Addict

Yeah but it was 'just the Warriors ' um yeah so they scored 12 points against us and 16 against the mighty Storm lol

12. doggieaaron

doggieaaron Immortal

One thing they did well is not once falling for sj dummies

13. Minion

Minion Forum Regular

The defence against the Warriors was outstanding and was the difference between winning and losing. The team should be proud of their effort and commitment in defence.

• Like Like x 2
  14. cookieman909

cookieman909 Kennel Enthusiast

I thought our defence has been very good in all games. Teams are struggling to go through us, and resorting to kicks. I think 5 tries have been conceded through kicks. Obviously we need to work on our defending of kicks. But in general play we are looking very solid. It's a good sign. Shows the boys are in unity and will defend for one another.

For people whinging and bitching. Our start to the year could of been a lot different. Also at the completion of rd 3 we are ranked 2nd in defence only behind Storm. Bring on Manly!!!!

• Like Like x 3
  15. gibbo2

gibbo2 Forum Regular

Second best defensive record in the comp after 3 rounds speaks volumes of our improvement in this area. I also like that we have been defensively strong late in games. Last 20 minutes we have not conceded many points.

• Like Like x 1
  16. too69u

too69u Forum Regular

No one has mentioned that des only used 1 interchange in the first half.Thats impressive

• Like Like x 2
  17. Alan79

Alan79 Immortal

I didn't see the Melbourne game or the first half verse the Warriors, but our defense looks strong and committed. Kick defense needs work, but part of that verse the roosters was partly because Holland was injured and later with Hoppa gone our backline was full of forwards. We defended brutally in game 2, creating a couple of attacking chances by forcing errors.

We were absolutely under the pump in game three. The warriors threw a lot at us and to our credit we repelled wave after wave of attacking sets. Kick defense was better this week but can and will improve. After spending so long defending our line we looked gassed in better field position and just waited for the warriors to hit our line, but its hard to be critical of this given the number of tackles we were forced to make on our line.

Our attack is a work in progress, we tried to be too fancy coming out of our own end and our kick defense will take some time to improve, but we're going to be hard to beat if our opponents don't possess a clinical kicking game.

18. albatross

albatross Forum Regular

Impressive but I'd like RFM to get more game time

19. pisssst

pisssst CEO

That's not impressive at all. Come end of the season and they going to be cooked.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Gotenks

Gotenks Immortal Gilded

I don't think that's impressive, i feel it's poor use of the bench tbh. Des' use of the bench needs to improve, getting 28 minutes out of Kasiano while playing 2 props for an entire half just isn't right. You can see how gassed some of our players are out there yet he keeps them on.