News Dean Pay pleads for Bulldogs fans' faith as club eagerly seek roster improvements

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dean Pay admits it is critical the Bulldogs sign "three to four" top players to help lift the club out of its current slump after another dour loss on Sunday to the Tigers.

Pay has urged Bulldogs fans to stick tight following Sunday's 28-point belting, promising greener pastures ahead as the club continue their quest to bolster their playing roster.

Sunday's 34-6 loss ensured Pay's side remain at the bottom of the ladder, with their attacking woes and defensive frailties again making for a frustrating night at Bankwest Stadium.

The club will earn some reprieve this week when new recruit Luke Thompson arrives at Belmore after a two-week quarantine in Melbourne.

Having signed the English international from 2021 onwards, Canterbury managed to fast-track his arrival after agreeing to an early release with former club St. Helens.

A premiership winner with the Saints, Pay admits Thompson's arrival comes at a much-needed time.

"He's a really quality player," the Bulldogs coach described his new recruit.

"... He's an international, he's won premierships in the Super League. He's a fit guy and he's got plenty of leg speed so we're very hopeful."

Pay remains unsure whether Thompson will be ready to hit the paddock immediately ahead of the Bulldogs' clash against the Rabbitohs on Sunday.

He'll have a week of training. He hasn't run for two weeks, he's been stuck in a hotel room. We'll assess him this week and see how he is," Pay said.

"He hasn't run for quite a while, so if he's ready he's ready if he's not we'll give him another week."

Among a handful of other NRL coaches, Pay's future has remained in question throughout the season.

The club great remains resilient despite the ongoing speculation surrounding his job, but admits he needs the help of some new talent on his roster.

"We've already said we want to put in two or three real quality players in around our young guys and that's how we're going to improve," he pleaded.

That's what we need to do, that's where we need to head to."

The club have been heavily linked to wantaway Raiders star John Bateman, while reports midweek revealed they were also chasing his Canberra teammate Nick Cotric along with Tigers' hooker Harry Grant, who ironically tore the Bulldogs apart on Sunday.

Pay hinted new signings were on the horizon for the embattled club, revealing negotiations were currently ongoing behind the scenes.

"Hopefully, they'll make a difference to what our team is, I'm sure they will," Pay said of the club's pursuit of new talent.

"[We need to] keep bringing these young blokes along, keep playing [them].

"It wasn't where we needed to be tonight but these young guys, it's another learning curve for them."

Merimbula Man

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Who are these young blokes that Pay keeps referring to?
Foran, Jackson, Tolman, Napa, Hopoate, Elliot, DWZ, RFM, Smith, they’ve all played loads of first grade and some of them rep/intl football. Such a cop out!

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
that is a cop out need 4/5 top line players . The club is not only the new parra but I think they will be the new titans . By new titans I mean the following
They will pay massive overs to get anyone but it will be those that are at the end of the careears who don’t give a shit and just after a pay cheque and won’t give 2 fucks about their performances as they will be playing knowing they will have no chance of a premiership and will kiss any potential rep career good bye. This is what the pay supporters don’t get , a war chest is only useful if you had a once off bad year , ala 2008 , not a basket case of a club that is perefennially at the bottom with a coach who has achieved fuck all

shaun5150

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Isn't it a coach that is meant to improve players instead of putting them down and making excuses for the players he has.
Again they beat decent teams at the ass end of last year.
FFS improve the players you have. If you can't them get another job you muppet

Boldslug

Waterboy
Reaction score
Who are these young blokes that Pay keeps referring to?
Foran, Jackson, Tolman, Napa, Hopoate, Elliot, DWZ, RFM, Smith, they’ve all played loads of first grade and some of them rep/intl football. Such a cop out!
I agree, the "young guys" and "it's another learning curve for them" lines have been used for the least 3 years. At what point do they stop being "young guys"?

Art Vandelay

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sooo basically Pay is begging for top tier players to sign with us now??
Someone wake me up from this nightmare, Please!

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thompson hasn't run for two weeks. The rest of the side haven't run for 5 years ffs!!!. An underdone Thompson is better than most of our players

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think he has a point :p

I mean all we really need is Tedesco, sivo, stagg, Coates, Cleary, Pearce, grant, radley, taumalolo, Bateman, ponga, addo Carr, hass, Fifita, pangai, trobojovvich x2.

I think with these few signings along with our squad will make us a top 8 if not a top 7 team. So I agree with pay and Anderson. They have a point :p

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
NO YOU'VE TIMED OUT... just hand in your resignation already.!!!!

#PleadForPayToGo..!!!!