Dean Pay - Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Gotta eat my words i was critical and whilst i think some of his early poor selections probably cost us a spot in the 8 ive gotta take my hat off too him hes doing really well and the players seem to like him

Flanagun

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The comparison is against us from last season. Similar position and the pressure was off and we played some of our best footy...so good that Lichaa got a new contract.
We strung some good wins together but our brand of footy looked nowhere near as attractive or exciting. You also have to credit the coaching staff for the dramatic improvement we’ve seen in some of our young players throughout the year. Smith has come on in leaps and bounds, Martin and Elliot have gotten better and better as the year has gone on... to the point where I don’t see RFM starting next year. Lewis’ kicking game has improved tenfold since he came into the team. His bombs are much more accurate, his short kicking and decision making more astute. Lewis has said himself that pay and the coaching staff have really helped his game. Our players seem to love playing for him and have improved every week.

Much different to last year when players threw out the coach’s game plan in the last few weeks and got by on frustration and playing to their strengths. This team is clearly playing for their coach, not against him.

The more time Pay has with the team, the more evident it becomes he’s doing really good work, imo.

Last edited:

Kila R Ralai

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pay deserved some slack this season, Rookie coaches who did well recently had a good roster already, but not what Pay walked into. So lets give him some credit for what he has done to a bunch of no namers.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Pay deserved some slack this season, Rookie coaches who did well recently had a good roster already, but not what Pay walked into. So lets give him some credit for what he has done to a bunch of no namers.
That’s all what we(Pay supporters) were saying the whole time. We weren’t saying he’s the next Craig Bellamy or anything like that, we just wanted people to give him a chance.

Some knuckle heads on here who suffer from OCD wanted him gone after round one. Haha Just Lol x 100

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was one of his critics earlier in the year and looks like he has improved his coaching in the second half of the year. Letting go Mbye & Woods has done wonders for club. Holland finally looks like he has cemented his spot on the run on side. Martin, Lewis and Smith have been great.

I hope he realises JMK isn’t a half anymore.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I am not convinced that the recent wins are because of Pays coaching, we need to see how the team performs next year to really see the Pay influence.

zappa

Punk in Drublic
Reaction score
For the record fellas I've played with Dropkicks and I played with Strung Out this year!
I'm recording a song currently "Dogs of War" gonna be a punk rock smash!
What’s your band mate?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yeh...I dunno man, I'm not sold on your comment 100%, I do agree to a certain extent.
Could he have made SOME of those changes earlier, probably yes. Persisting with JMK, Clay Priest etc, of course he's made some mistakes.
What you got to understand is he did not sign Woods, Foran or even Mbye.
You have an incumbent squad of 30 all signed up on contracts, some massive contracts.
Imagine Pay dropping Woods,Foran and Mybe before a ball is kicked, this place would of gone into meltdown, we want our monies worth with these players to perform at their best and rightly so.

Plus it wasn't ONLY his team selections you guys were having a dig at him for.
"He looks dumb, so he must be dumb" comments, like how the hell does anybody know what knowledge of league Pay has in his brain. Comments like "picked only because of his name" but no consideration about his apprenticeship as assistant coach or his achievements with young players at all. "He's out of his depth" comments, I can go on.
It's not about just those players, there's plenty of others. He could have easily made the changes, but he wasn't proactive enough. Our right edge was getting decimated in defence all season yet the only change came when he was forced into it. Holland was literally on the bench playing hooker yet didn't get a look in until injury hit. Montoya, Hoppa and Foran were a complete disaster together yet he stuck with them and the system despite it simply never going to work.

Lewis wasn't even in the picture yet we lucked out when he eventually got a run. JMK was rushed in ahead of him for whatever crazy reason. Martin again also only got a look in only because injury. I could go on.

Is it not possible if these changes were made earlier we could have been in a far better position to push for a spot in the 8? Is it also possible these changes never occurred unless forced through injury? This is just a part of why i'm still not convinced.

And yes i called him names and i'd do the exact same again if he pulled of those ridiculous stunts. Holland at hooker like i mentioned before, Fualalo playing on an edge over Elliott when injury hit, Klemmer on the fucking bench while we start with a rookie prop, Eastwood/Priest walking into the team despite not even being close to match fit, etc.

He got plenty wrong that he shouldn't have got wrong and there's no excuses for some of these things. Did he still get some things right? Yes. Has he improved? Yes. Did i underestimate his ability to improve? Yes.

I'm still far from comfortable with him moving forward. It doesn't matter how people want to spin things but when results mattered and the pressure was on we didn't deliver. Yh it's good to get wins to finish the season but do it when it matters and when the pressures on and then i'll change my mind.

Malla

Reaction score
I am not convinced that the recent wins are because of Pays coaching, we need to see how the team performs next year to really see the Pay influence.
I think you need to just look at the way the boys are playing for one another and enjoying their footy with confidence - that is because of Pay's coaching. Give the bloke some credit - he has just come out of probably one of the worst years in recent memory at the dogs and he has coached our team to wins over Broncos, Warriors and Dragons at the back end of it - all finals teams.

Reaction score
there's no doubt pay has made some mistakes, his persistence with montoya was definitely costly.
he may not be the best coach, he could have made different choices, but he's done alot of good things too that should be accepted if we are to accept the bad things.

we've seen players this year improve, could we say the same thing under des?
we've seen our effort and intensity steadily progress this year, particularly after removing woods and mbye.
we've seen our players looking to enjoy playing for each other, which has been missing for years under des.
our skill level has improved dramatically this year, so he's not a constricting type coach like the shitcunt before him.

he put his hand up for the job knowing full well what a shitshow he was inheriting, when better coaches then him wouldn't touch us with a 10 foot pole,
and knowing that he would come under huge scrutiny and judgement from anyone willing to shit on him.

he mightn't be the coach that takes us to a premiership, but he's been an important part of rebuilding the mess that des created.
we got fucked sideways by des, the incoming coach was always gonna be pushing shit uphill.

my reaction to klemmer being benched at the time was, guess he's being looked at for a bench spot in origin

Malla

Reaction score
there's no doubt pay has made some mistakes, his persistence with montoya was definitely costly.
he may not be the best coach, he could have made different choices, but he's done alot of good things too that should be accepted if we are to accept the bad things.

we've seen players this year improve, could we say the same thing under des?
we've seen our effort and intensity steadily progress this year, particularly after removing woods and mbye.
we've seen our players looking to enjoy playing for each other, which has been missing for years under des.
our skill level has improved dramatically this year, so he's not a constricting type coach like the shitcunt before him.

he put his hand up for the job knowing full well what a shitshow he was inheriting, when better coaches then him wouldn't touch us with a 10 foot pole,
and knowing that he would come under huge scrutiny and judgement from anyone willing to shit on him.

he mightn't be the coach that takes us to a premiership, but he's been an important part of rebuilding the mess that des created.
we got fucked sideways by des, the incoming coach was always gonna be pushing shit uphill.

my reaction to klemmer being benched at the time was, guess he's being looked at for a bench spot in origin
You reckon the Klemmer benching was an attempt by pay to get Woods to find some confidence in the front row? I dunno but seemed like Woods and Klem couldn't co-exist anyway. Would have been absolutely shattered if we ended up losing Klem cause of that tho.. he's our heart and soul.

Reaction score
You reckon the Klemmer benching was an attempt by pay to get Woods to find some confidence in the front row? I dunno but seemed like Woods and Klem couldn't co-exist anyway. Would have been absolutely shattered if we ended up losing Klem cause of that tho.. he's our heart and soul.
nah, i figured at the time klemmer was being considered for a bench spot in origin.
our season was already gone by then, and klemmer was our best best player, so i didn't believe he was being benched for anything bad

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Its very easy to be critical of someone like Dean Pay. But you really need to remember that
he lives with these guys for many hours a week. He understands their abilities and weaknesses, better than any armchair critic.
Whilst he gets shafted for a few mistakes, he has received little credit for anything.
I for one love the progress he has made, with what hes got to work with.

Malla

Reaction score
nah, i figured at the time klemmer was being considered for a bench spot in origin.
our season was already gone by then, and klemmer was our best best player, so i didn't believe he was being benched for anything bad
Funny that... he should have been the first starting forward picked for the origin team. Anyway - i think the stint on the bench for us and origin made him dig deeper and player better footy.

good doggie

Waterboy
Gilded
Reaction score
It's not about just those players, there's plenty of others. He could have easily made the changes, but he wasn't proactive enough. Our right edge was getting decimated in defence all season yet the only change came when he was forced into it. Holland was literally on the bench playing hooker yet didn't get a look in until injury hit. Montoya, Hoppa and Foran were a complete disaster together yet he stuck with them and the system despite it simply never going to work.

Lewis wasn't even in the picture yet we lucked out when he eventually got a run. JMK was rushed in ahead of him for whatever crazy reason. Martin again also only got a look in only because injury. I could go on.

Is it not possible if these changes were made earlier we could have been in a far better position to push for a spot in the 8? Is it also possible these changes never occurred unless forced through injury? This is just a part of why i'm still not convinced.

And yes i called him names and i'd do the exact same again if he pulled of those ridiculous stunts. Holland at hooker like i mentioned before, Fualalo playing on an edge over Elliott when injury hit, Klemmer on the fucking bench while we start with a rookie prop, Eastwood/Priest walking into the team despite not even being close to match fit, etc.

He got plenty wrong that he shouldn't have got wrong and there's no excuses for some of these things. Did he still get some things right? Yes. Has he improved? Yes. Did i underestimate his ability to improve? Yes.

I'm still far from comfortable with him moving forward. It doesn't matter how people want to spin things but when results mattered and the pressure was on we didn't deliver. Yh it's good to get wins to finish the season but do it when it matters and when the pressures on and then i'll change my mind.
Look here boy, you were wrong for years on maybe & i think your wrong again here

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Still have to see how he goes next year when we are playing for a finals spot again. Easy to throw it around when yh pressure is off, the Parra and Manly games were absolutely filth amongst the last 8 decent ones.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Still have to see how he goes next year when we are playing for a finals spot again. Easy to throw it around when yh pressure is off, the Parra and Manly games were absolutely filth amongst the last 8 decent ones.
Yeah that Parra loss still pisses me off the way we struggled to score

Manly loss due to no Lewis

Hopefully we beat the Sharks

Status
Not open for further replies.