Dean Pay - Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
we finished last year in same way..its nice to get some wins but it doesn't mean shit tbh. We need to get back in the 8 nxt year ..its obvious we have the team to do it

froggy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Lets get fair dinkum here.

We have have missed the 8 by a mile. We have been out of contention since the halfway mark of the comp. That is not good enough for Canterbury. We need to be back there straight away. That means next year. Circumstances have stuffed us this year but next year should be a lot smoother ride.

In saying that, we are definitely in a better position now than halfway through the comp. There seems to be a strategy in place with Pay, Anderson and the rest of the board. Some of that has come by luck. Montoya getting hurt paved the way for Smith. (Everyone was calling for Montoya to go) Lewis only got a start in the top 30 because we got rid of Woods and Mbye. But these guys having success has shown that you can go with youth. The purchases they have made are definitely youth orientated.

As for Pay the jury is still out for me. For the first half of the comp I was critical of the fact that we hadn't changed our style of play. It was Desball basically. He was not prepared to take any risks. Would not drop players out of form just like Des. Stubborn coaching. However, in the last 6-8 weeks there has been a definite shift in the style of play. The boys are chancing their arm a lot more. The confidence is growing as a result. However when the pressure is back on at the start of next year will they be allowed to play the same way? The challenge for Pay is to play this style when it matters. He will have no Morris brothers in the side. We haven't really replaced them with any recruits of note. (Not convinced on Crichton and please no Montoya).

But I must say Pay looks like he has learnt on the run. Come next year with that progression and we are in the hunt for a top eight spot I will be so glad to eat humble pie.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Pay has some exciting young kids to get us playing finals next year

He’s had serious disruptions to his first year in charge albeit he took the gig eyes wide open

It’s little different winning when season is already over like last year and winning when it counts but hopefully he has his cattle to do it now

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
we finished last year in same way..its nice to get some wins but it doesn't mean shit tbh. We need to get back in the 8 nxt year ..its obvious we have the team to do it
The difference being was last year was only three wins on the trot against sides outside of the top 8.
Where as this year we've been playing really good footy for the past 2 months and have won 4 from our last 5 games against teams in the top 8(Warriors, Broncos, Dragons etc)

I could see the change back when we touched up Newcastle(Lewis' first grade debut) and letting go of Mbye and Woods which was around about the same time.
The only poor performance was against the eels to be honest.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
MASSIVE DOUBTS? Just ....Lol
Yes. All these changes over the last month or so have literally been changes i and others have called for ages ago, even as far back as during pre season. Also these changes weren't off the back of being proactive and were forced by injury or roster changes. So yes, these are why i have doubts.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The difference being was last year was only three wins on the trot against sides outside of the top 8.
Where as this year we've been playing really good footy for the past 2 months and have won 4 from our last 5 games against teams in the top 8(Warriors, Broncos, Dragons etc)

I could see the change back when we touched up Newcastle(Lewis' first grade debut) and letting go of Mbye and Woods which was around about the same time.
The only poor performance was against the eels to be honest.
The 2 teams we beat last year, manly and saints, were in top 8 or in contention for a spot in top 8

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just saw you post- The Exploited!
Crazy, cause I don't listen to much UK82 since I was a teenager but was and currently listening to Troops of Tomorrow! I love the song 'Alternative'
Anyone going to Cockney Rejects?

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Froggy somewhat, definitely no excuses.
I think our situation this year Pay had done a remarkable job, so kudos.
But, next year, I hope to see us a lot more competitive and pushing hard for a spot in the 8.
I don't want to hear about the roster, draw, cap, Des etc.
There's an old saying:
"You dance with the gal you take to the ball"

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yes. All these changes over the last month or so have literally been changes i and others have called for ages ago, even as far back as during pre season. Also these changes weren't off the back of being proactive and were forced by injury or roster changes. So yes, these are why i have doubts.
Yeh...I dunno man, I'm not sold on your comment 100%, I do agree to a certain extent.
Could he have made SOME of those changes earlier, probably yes. Persisting with JMK, Clay Priest etc, of course he's made some mistakes.
What you got to understand is he did not sign Woods, Foran or even Mbye.
You have an incumbent squad of 30 all signed up on contracts, some massive contracts.
Imagine Pay dropping Woods,Foran and Mybe before a ball is kicked, this place would of gone into meltdown, we want our monies worth with these players to perform at their best and rightly so.

Plus it wasn't ONLY his team selections you guys were having a dig at him for.
"He looks dumb, so he must be dumb" comments, like how the hell does anybody know what knowledge of league Pay has in his brain. Comments like "picked only because of his name" but no consideration about his apprenticeship as assistant coach or his achievements with young players at all. "He's out of his depth" comments, I can go on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.