Dally Cherry-Evans asks for release

Status
Not open for further replies.

BankstownBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The title says it all.

News is DCE has asked for a release from his current contract..

Also at the start of the show Matty Johns started a segment by asking DCE if he had been speaking to Desy etc..

I might be clutching at straws but you could put 2 and 2 together there and dream..

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
hmm interesting I wonder if Des and Todd have any intentions of recruting DCE

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
[spelling nazi mode]

Nice. Will be interesting to see if DALY Cherry-Evans also asks for a release considering his current contractual situation. :slick:

[/spelling nazi mode]

BankstownBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
[spelling nazi mode]

Nice. Will be interesting to see if DALY Cherry-Evans also asks for a release considering his current contractual situation. :slick:

[/spelling nazi mode]

Haha I stand corrected!

Maybe one or two pure blondes over my post limit.

C

chipandchase

The title says it all.

News is DCE has asked for a release from his current contract..

Also at the start of the show Matty Johns started a segment by asking DCE if he had been speaking to Desy etc..

I might be clutching at straws but you could put 2 and 2 together there and dream..
A dream yes he would be "the greatest" signing and bye bye hodkinson
Ahhhhh a dream and a premiership

Karat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A dream yes he would be "the greatest" signing and bye bye hodkinson
Ahhhhh a dream and a premiership
Seriously chip

Cut the bull**** out and tell us what you really have against Hodkinson

dogie

thruthick&thin
Reaction score
lol manly forum is in meltdown

lot of dogs talk too :grinning:

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
Love hearing sh*t hit the fans at Manly.

Keep it coming, love seeing the reaction from their arrogant fans.

Peter Griffin

Love my ginga's
Reaction score
What's the source for this?

Daly Cherry-Evans seeks a release from the Manly Sea Eagles

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...manly-sea-eagles/story-e6frexnr-1226299700218

STAR halfback Daly Cherry-Evans has formally asked Manly for a release from his contract.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal Cherry-Evans' manager, Gavin Orr, lodged the request to Sea Eagles chief operating officer David Perry on Friday afternoon.

Manly immediately rejected it but the fight to keep Cherry-Evans has reached a critical stage.

The Daily Telegraph can also reveal Cherry-Evans is on a contract worth an embarrassing $85,000 a year - less than dozens of Toyota Cup players.

His deal will increase to $125,000 for next season - still a pittance given what he achieved last season. He could command anything up to $450,000 a year.

Sea Eagles officials are terrified of fan backlash should they lose Cherry-Evans, particularly after the bumbling contract negotiations which led to two-time premiership-winning Des Hasler walking away.

"Did I ask for a release for Daly? Yes, I did last Friday," Orr told The Daily Telegraph.

"If they can't afford him then why keep him for another two years? Let the kid go and play somewhere else. They can't hold him to ransom on a contract that isn't acceptable to the level he is now at.

"I asked for the release for next year so we could have a look around if Manly can't match his market value. I told them they could have the final right of refusal. They said no straight away. At least I put it out there.

"If you don't ask the question, you don't get answers."

Pressed on whether he thought Manly could pay Cherry-Evans more money, Orr said: "It is getting harder and harder because there are other people through third parties talking to me."

Sea Eagles chairman Scott Penn said his club "absolutely" wanted to retain Cherry-Evans.

"It's well documented we have some cap pressure - it is a matter of managing it. Ultimately though we want to keep as many of our players as we can," Penn said.

"We are asking for everyone to be patient and work with us. We have put forward a solid offer (to Cherry-Evans) and we are waiting for an answer. Absolutely we want keep him."

Manly must re-arrange its salary cap to accommodate Cherry-Evans but the club still remain highly confident of retaining the young halfback.

Cherry-Evans arrived in the NRL last year and proceeded to guide Manly to a premiership and then tour England with the Australian Four Nations squad. Others clubs are circling, more than aware Cherry-Evans is on such a minimal income. He is off contract after next season and is then hoping for a new two year extension.

"People like Tautau Moga at the Roosters are on more," Orr said. "Cheyse Blair last year at the Roosters was on more. Blair is on more than now at Parramatta. There are a lot of Toyota Cup players on more.

"When Daly signed the (Manly) deal, no one wanted him. I tried to sell him to every club but the so-called geniuses in recruitment didn't want him. I won't put a figure on (what Cherry-Evans could earn) but I think he is ahead of Chris Sandow and Sandow is on $550,000 a year."

Manly are hoping to align Cherry-Evans and Kieran Foran so both come off contract in 2015.

"Manly do value Daly. Hopefully we can still agree to terms in the next week or two," Orr said. "I think Daly should stay. It is in his best interest to stay with Kieran but it depends on whether they can match Daly's market value.

"They work well together and bring out the best in each other."

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Where did the million dollars for winning last year end up going?

Surely that could have been used to prop up DCE's contract.

BankstownBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

That's a good question tbh.

From what I heard it seems as though Manly's biggest problem over the next few years may actually be not the salary cap but the salary floor.

We already knew that they were broke and now it's became known that the leagues club cannot forward it's grant as it just doesn't have the money anymore.

Unbelievable to think a team can be in this situation after winning the comp.

C

chipandchase

Seriously chip

Cut the bull**** out and tell us what you really have against Hodkinson
Seriously karat, look at his stats from last week
We are carrying him, it's that simple.
Why do u think we are chasing so hard for another half?

Karat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seriously karat, look at his stats from last week
We are carrying him, it's that simple.
Why do u think we are chasing so hard for another half?
I actually thought he controlled things well, after all we did win 30-4, against a team that has beaten us the last 6 times.

I am asking because that is all you seem to write about, and it is becoming obvious that you have something against him, that has nothing to do with his playing ability, because your attacks on him are relentless.

just give it a rest for a while, Hodkinson is contracted to the club until the end of next year, and whether you like it or not, he is a bulldog.

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Did you even consider the fact it could be to do with Manly having cap pressure, as mentioned in the article?

Regardless of what funds Manly may have gained from winning a premiership last season, if they are over the cap, they can't use those funds to prop up anyone's contract.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't understand why DCE isn't the Northern Eagles' number 1 priority. Let an ageing FB, some flavour of the month rookie forward and some security guard go and focus on keeping your premiership winning halves. A good HB is rare, a VERY good premiership winning HB is even rarer.

Status
Not open for further replies.