Social Media Dale finucane

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sharks apparently in the box seat to sign him, another one we missed out on - even if he's no game breaker, he still has an old head and leadership skills. Not to mention he's a workhorse
The Sharks signing Finucane doesn’t really make much sense? I assume McInnes either starts at lock or pushes out to lock if Brailey is coming off the bench. You’d think their priority would be halfback, centre and prop not another lock who would be on reduced minutes

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
The Sharks signing Finucane doesn’t really make much sense? I assume McInnes either starts at lock or pushes out to lock if Brailey is coming off the bench. You’d think their priority would be halfback, centre and prop not another lock who would be on reduced minutes
Finucane is a prop. Locks are either props or second rowers.

8. Rudolf, 9. Brailey, 10. ?, 11. Graham, 12. Nikora/Talakai, 13. McInnes.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Jack Williams won't even be in first grade if they get finucane. Dale Rudolph and Mcinnes will all be in front of him
I'd still have him on the bench, guy is fit and has a great tackling technique that will only get better.

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can’t see them signing him as he’s getting old. He’s still a great player but the coach is looking long term with who he’s been poaching. If they get him - They should’ve kept Aiden Tolman - who was so reliable and didn’t let anyone down.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Finucane would have been great as a package with 2 other melbourne players + jac. No point now.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could be wrong but didnt we release him because we had a younger version of him in elliott? Both make good contact in defence, high energy etc.
Melbourne just managed to iron out the handling and brain farts out of finucane and we have not been able to do it with elliott.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Could be wrong but didnt we release him because we had a younger version of him in elliott? Both make good contact in defence, high energy etc.
Melbourne just managed to iron out the handling and brain farts out of finucane and we have not been able to do it with elliott.
Des decided Finucane and Jackson were similar players (to his defence they pretty much are) and went with Jackson. I was always of the opinion they could accommodate both, players that consistently run hard and tackle hard for the full 80mins are worth their weight in gold.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Craig Bellamy has vowed he and the Storm will do “whatever we can” to keep off-contract forward Dale Finucane, while Cooper Cronk has revealed just high highly Bellamy thinks of the workhorse forward.

It’s understood several clubs are chasing Finucane’s signature, with the 29-year-old previously conceding that salary cap pressure could force him to take up a deal with a rival.

Bellamy was asked after Melbourne’s win on Saturday whether there was any update on Finucane’s future and he revealed that the club was working towards an offer for the representative forward.

“Dale wants to know as well and we’re just trying to put an offer to him that he will hopefully accept,” he said.

“I know our recruitment guys are working really hard on that and trying to find some dollars here and dollars there just to fit into our cap.”

The Storm recently lost the signature of rising star Nicho Hyneswho inked a three-year deal with the Sharks, starting in 2022. Bellamy is hopeful that the club can at least use that as an opportunity to throw more money at Finucane.

“It probably does,” he said when asked if Hynes’ exit will help.

“I’m not sure how much we’ve saved there or can get to Dale, but you’d like to think that’s made it a better chance. As far as I’m concerned, we’ll do whatever we can to keep him because he’s such an important part of this club.”

Not much earlier in the night Finucane stood in front of the Fox League cameras donning a swollen eye and busted lip — but a smile too. It summed up the never-say-die attitude that Finucane embodies.

It’s that work ethic, along with his professionalism that Bellamy most admires.

“He’s one player I’d hate to lose,” he said.

“I just love the way he plays, he just turns up every week and puts full effort in for however long he plays. He puts his head where a lot of people wouldn’t put their foot.

“The other thing around that, what he does off the field as well. The standards that he sets in training and preparation... I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone that prepares better than Dale Finucane.

“I’ve been in the game for a long time but I’ve never seen anyone that sets a better standard on and off the field than Dale.”

Cronk spent 13 seasons under Bellamy at the Storm and in three of those he played with Finucane so has a pretty good grasp on just how fond of Finucane the club is.

“Reading through that press conference it looks like it’s on a dicey edge whether he stays or go,” he said.

“He would never say this, Craig Bellamy, but Dale Finucane is one of his top three favourite players of all time. Him, Ryan Hinchcliffe and Dallas Johnson. They’re the type of players... Brandon Smith... he loves that type of warhorse character that will do everything.

“Very reliable, might not be able to play x-factor type of football but you know what you’re going to get every week.

“It would be a sad day for Craig Bellamy, personally, if Dale Finucane has to leave that football club.”

Michael Ennis also had the pleasure of playing with Finucane at the Bulldogs. And it seems Finucane has always been in demand with Ennis revealing the Sharks have tried to make a play for him in the past.

He believes Finucane’s future seems like it’s very much still up in the air but also revealed an insight into what Bellamy thinks of this season’s co-captain.

“I love Dale. I was lucky enough to have him come through when I was at Canterbury. I’ll never forget when I heard there was a chance that Dale would leave Canterbury. I just couldn’t believe that they wouldn’t fight tooth and nail to keep him there,” he said.

“As Craig said, not just what he brought on the field, it’s what Dale brought off the field.

“I remember being at a training session at Cronulla and Shane Flanagan called me over midway through the session. He just said to me ‘what do you think about Finucane?’ and I said ‘mate, let’s get him’ so he said ‘righto.’

“Then within 20 minutes he came back over and said ‘no, Craig the bastard, he’s already got him.’

“To me he just epitomises everything that Craig Bellamy looks for in a footy player.”

If Bellamy thinks this highly of a player I don't think we could go wrong signing him.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Des decided Finucane and Jackson were similar players (to his defence they pretty much are) and went with Jackson. I was always of the opinion they could accommodate both, players that consistently run hard and tackle hard for the full 80mins are worth their weight in gold.
considering at the time and up until recently we have played Jackson on the edge and Finucane was a middle third forward means we should have kept both

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Craig Bellamy has vowed he and the Storm will do “whatever we can” to keep off-contract forward Dale Finucane, while Cooper Cronk has revealed just high highly Bellamy thinks of the workhorse forward.

It’s understood several clubs are chasing Finucane’s signature, with the 29-year-old previously conceding that salary cap pressure could force him to take up a deal with a rival.

Bellamy was asked after Melbourne’s win on Saturday whether there was any update on Finucane’s future and he revealed that the club was working towards an offer for the representative forward.

“Dale wants to know as well and we’re just trying to put an offer to him that he will hopefully accept,” he said.

“I know our recruitment guys are working really hard on that and trying to find some dollars here and dollars there just to fit into our cap.”

The Storm recently lost the signature of rising star Nicho Hyneswho inked a three-year deal with the Sharks, starting in 2022. Bellamy is hopeful that the club can at least use that as an opportunity to throw more money at Finucane.

“I’m not sure how much we’ve saved there or can get to Dale, but you’d like to think that’s made it a better chance. As far as I’m concerned, we’ll do whatever we can to keep him because he’s such an important part of this club.”

Not much earlier in the night Finucane stood in front of the Fox League cameras donning a swollen eye and busted lip — but a smile too. It summed up the never-say-die attitude that Finucane embodies.

“I just love the way he plays, he just turns up every week and puts full effort in for however long he plays. He puts his head where a lot of people wouldn’t put their foot.

“The other thing around that, what he does off the field as well. The standards that he sets in training and preparation... I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone that prepares better than Dale Finucane.

“I’ve been in the game for a long time but I’ve never seen anyone that sets a better standard on and off the field than Dale.”

Cronk spent 13 seasons under Bellamy at the Storm and in three of those he played with Finucane so has a pretty good grasp on just how fond of Finucane the club is.

“Reading through that press conference it looks like it’s on a dicey edge whether he stays or go,” he said.

“He would never say this, Craig Bellamy, but Dale Finucane is one of his top three favourite players of all time. Him, Ryan Hinchcliffe and Dallas Johnson. They’re the type of players... Brandon Smith... he loves that type of warhorse character that will do everything.

“Very reliable, might not be able to play x-factor type of football but you know what you’re going to get every week.

“It would be a sad day for Craig Bellamy, personally, if Dale Finucane has to leave that football club.”

Michael Ennis also had the pleasure of playing with Finucane at the Bulldogs. And it seems Finucane has always been in demand with Ennis revealing the Sharks have tried to make a play for him in the past.

He believes Finucane’s future seems like it’s very much still up in the air but also revealed an insight into what Bellamy thinks of this season’s co-captain.

“I love Dale. I was lucky enough to have him come through when I was at Canterbury. I’ll never forget when I heard there was a chance that Dale would leave Canterbury. I just couldn’t believe that they wouldn’t fight tooth and nail to keep him there,” he said.

“As Craig said, not just what he brought on the field, it’s what Dale brought off the field.

“I remember being at a training session at Cronulla and Shane Flanagan called me over midway through the session. He just said to me ‘what do you think about Finucane?’ and I said ‘mate, let’s get him’ so he said ‘righto.’

“Then within 20 minutes he came back over and said ‘no, Craig the bastard, he’s already got him.’

“To me he just epitomises everything that Craig Bellamy looks for in a footy player.”

If Bellamy thinks this highly of a player I don't think we could go wrong signing him.
Bellamy obviously likes him and probably helping to drive up his price for a better deal.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
We're going to be linked to every half decent off contract player until we have most of our roster filled. At this point signing Finucane would very much be a scenario of if the price is right he'd be a good signing. But he'd have to be considered a moderately short term part of the squad at this stage. He's still a good solid player in most aspects of the game. Tackles hard and runs hard too. But isn't a creative forward and would be an increased injury risk considering that he'd have copped a lot of minor injuries due to the fact that his one defining attribute was that he's been very much a kamikaze style of player over the years who just throws as much aggression possible into attack and defense.
Unless these signings are for inspiration and training for our up and coming youngsters, we are in danger of becoming a retirement home for once great players.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Easy to say for Bellamy when you have forwards like Bromwich, NAS, Tui etc. who can bend the line and then have the workhorse backrower like Finucane, it’s a luxury for him, we sadly don’t have those front rowers, aside from Thompson.

GTOWN

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Fuck Ennis is a salty prick these days, always putting it to the dogs whenever he can.. we get it... there were shit decisions made, but just move on ffs

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are not simmlar at all. Jacko played
on the edge and Finucane plays in the middle. Finucane was always better than Jackson coming through the grades. Des unfortunately backed Eastwood as his lock moving forward and let Dale leave. Massive error.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Unless these signings are for inspiration and training for our up and coming youngsters, we are in danger of becoming a retirement home for once great players.
To some extent I think that having a couple of older players around the club doesn't hurt as long as they're players that can set a good example. I think Finucane probably fits that role if he's still the hard trainer etc that he supposedly used to be (going off a story I recall about Finucane and Jackson treating training as a competition).

I don't have issues with targeting a few players near the end of their careers as long as they're going to be influential. I mean someone like Koroisau or Cronk really took their teams to a new level with their experience thrown in to guide their rosters. But I woudln't be looking to pick up more than a couple of older players among the remaining roster spots either.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
To some extent I think that having a couple of older players around the club doesn't hurt as long as they're players that can set a good example. I think Finucane probably fits that role if he's still the hard trainer etc that he supposedly used to be (going off a story I recall about Finucane and Jackson treating training as a competition).

I don't have issues with targeting a few players near the end of their careers as long as they're going to be influential. I mean someone like Koroisau or Cronk really took their teams to a new level with their experience thrown in to guide their rosters. But I woudln't be looking to pick up more than a couple of older players among the remaining roster spots either.
It was Finucane and Klemmer, not Jackson. Graham/Ennis said they used to belt each other during sessions so no one else would train with them and left them be.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Fuck Ennis is a salty prick these days, always putting it to the dogs whenever he can.. we get it... there were shit decisions made, but just move on ffs
As much as I don't like the fact that Ennis takes the opportunity to be critical of the club, I do recall that before he was signed by the Sharts, he was regarded by many here as over the hill and past it and copped a hell of a lot more flack than he deserved because he wasn't running enough from DH to please many fans. I don't really blame him for being a bit salty. If I was a professional footballer and told that I was being replaced by a youngster like Lichaa it'd be a bit of an insult.

They are not simmlar at all. Jacko played
on the edge and Finucane plays in the middle. Finucane was always better than Jackson coming through the grades. Des unfortunately backed Eastwood as his lock moving forward and let Dale leave. Massive error.
Agree that they're not all that similar. their main similarity was that coming through the grades together they both ran and defended hard. Finucane never had the same abillity to pick good lines that Jackson did and I think between those two we kept the better player. But given that we let Finucane go to get more game time it's a real pity that we did so because we were keeping a lazy turd like Williams on big minutes and bigger dollars.

In the end so many decisions from the days when Hasler and Dib were in charge are still the anchor weighing the club down now. At least I think we're finally cutting that anchor loose. Remains to be seen if those in the hot seat now replace the old anchor with different ones though.