Cricket 2022/23 thread

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think you'll find the rules state that the host nation should have no say in pitch prep for an ICC tournament, mate. It's all supposed to be done independently. And all decisions by curators are supposed to go through the ICC pitch representative - who seems to have been to be left in the dark, judging from comments he made about it. I think India bent the rules, and the ICC backed them as they always do because of their political clout.

You might be right it didn't work out in their favour.

I'm not complaining about anything, really. Apart from the fact we just won a World Cup and quite a few past Indian players and fans are disrespecting that achievement by only talking about how good India were, and how they deserved it. I feel sorry for the Indian players...especially the old heads like Rohit and Kohli who won't get another crack at it, but it is what it is.

I understand you're stinging... and I thought it would be India's time, too.... it's fine to be proud of them, and disappointed. But there has to be a winner...which means you can't really say one team didn't deserve to lose without implying the other team didn't deserve to win. I think the Aussies earned that win with some great planning and brilliant execution on the day. No matter how much better this Indian team may be than past Indian teams, that is still clearly an area in which they struggle a bit.

Was the pitch 'changed' for Cricket World Cup semi-final and what are the rules?
India defeated New Zealand in a high-scoring match in Mumbai on Wednesday
India captain Rohit Sharma inspects the pitch ahead of the World Cup semi-final against New Zealand at the Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai. Getty Images

India captain Rohit Sharma inspects the pitch ahead of the World Cup semi-final against New Zealand at the Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai. Getty Images

Ajit Vijaykumar

Nov 16, 2023
Listen In English
Listen in Arabic
Powered by automated translation
The Cricket World Cup semi-final between India and New Zealand was memorable in more ways than one.
Virat Kohli scored his 50th ODI century, Mohammad Shami picked up seven wickets, more than 700 runs were scored, and the hosts stormed into the final following a 70-run win at the Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai on Wednesday.
But there was another development that grabbed the headlines. And it threatens to cast a shadow over the knockout stages of the tournament.
Ahead of the semi-final in Mumbai, it emerged that the playing surface had been 'switched' to a used pitch, instead of a fresh one.
READ MORE
Biggest sixes of Cricket World Cup 2023, including hits from Shreyas Iyer, Glenn Maxwell
Apparently, a fresh centre pitch was to be deployed for the knockout game but the match was moved to a surface that had been utilised earlier in the tournament.

This led to a furore as it was seen as a ploy by hosts India to gain an advantage by playing on a worn-out pitch. A fresh surface at the Wankhede could have helped New Zealand as it provides the most assistance to fast bowlers in the country, especially under lights.
What are the rules regarding pitches?
The ICC's tournament guide for the World Cup states that "the Ground Authority shall be responsible for the selection and preparation of the pitch".
That means the Mumbai Cricket Association had the primary responsibility of preparing the surface, and ensuring it was up to standards for an international match.

What caused controversy is a supposed leaked email from the ICC's independent pitch curator who expressed frustration at the late change of pitch.
However, the ICC issued a statement saying that changing pitches is common practice and that all relevant authorities were aware of it.
India's Virat Kohli celebrates his century in the World Cup semi-final against New Zealand at the Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai on Wednesday, November 15, 2023. AP

Virat Kohli completed his 50th ODI century against New Zealand in Mumbai on Wednesday. AFP

Virat Kohli hit his 50th ODI century as India posted 397-4 against New Zealand at the Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai. AFP

India's Mohammed Shami celebrates the wicket of New Zealand's Daryl Mitchell. AP

New Zealand's Daryl Mitchell celebrates his century. AP

India's Jasprit Bumrah celebrates the wicket of New Zealand's Glenn Phillips, right. AP

India's captain Rohit Sharma celebrates with teammate Mohammed Shami after the dismissal of New Zealand's Tom Latham. AFP

New Zealand's Daryl Mitchell plays a shot. AFP

Fans cheer as Virat Kohli walks back to the pavilion. Reuters

Virat Kohli, second left, is greeted by teammates in the dressing room. AP

New Zealand's Kane Williamson congratulates Virat Kohli for his record breaking 50th ODI century. Reuters

Shreyas Iyer, centre, also scored a brilliant century in Mumbai. AFP

India's Virat Kohli celebrates after his 50th century. Reuters

Rohit Sharma of India hits out. Getty Images

Kane Williamson of New Zealand catches out Rohit Sharma of India. Getty Images

India's Virat Kohli celebrates his century in the World Cup semi-final against New Zealand at the Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai on Wednesday, November 15, 2023. AP

"Changes to planned pitch rotations are common towards the end of an event of this length, and has already happened a couple of times," an ICC spokesperson said.
"This change was made on the recommendation of the venue curator in conjunction with our host. The ICC independent pitch consultant was apprised of the change and has no reason to believe the pitch won't play well."

As it turned out, the pitch produced a high-scoring match where more than 700 runs were scored, pacer Shami picked up a seven-wicket haul and three centuries were hit.
Since there is no stipulation on providing a fresh surface for knockout matches, there is a chance of a 'used' wicket being chosen for the final in Ahmedabad on Sunday as well.
According to ESPNCricinfo, the semi-finals of the last ODI World Cup in 2019 in England were played on fresh wickets.
What do the players say?
Former England captain Michael Vaughan said having fresh surfaces in a knockout match should be the standard practice.
"A World Cup semi should be played on a fresh pitch ... It’s as simple as that," he posted on X, formerly Twitter.
His sentiment was echoed by former Australia batsman Darren Lehmann.
Australia captain Pat Cummins, however, said he had faith in ICC's pitch preparation process.
"Yeah, I saw that [pitch selection report] ... obviously ICC have an independent pitch curator who manages that so I'm sure they are all over making sure it's fair for both teams," Cummins said.
"So far this tournament [on pitches] that we've played on, I've not seen any issue."
Updated: November 16, 2023, 8:22 PM

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Was the pitch 'changed' for Cricket World Cup semi-final and what are the rules?
India defeated New Zealand in a high-scoring match in Mumbai on Wednesday

Ajit Vijaykumar

Nov 16, 2023
Listen In English
Listen in Arabic
Powered by automated translation
The Cricket World Cup semi-final between India and New Zealand was memorable in more ways than one.
Virat Kohli scored his 50th ODI century, Mohammad Shami picked up seven wickets, more than 700 runs were scored, and the hosts stormed into the final following a 70-run win at the Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai on Wednesday.
But there was another development that grabbed the headlines. And it threatens to cast a shadow over the knockout stages of the tournament.
Ahead of the semi-final in Mumbai, it emerged that the playing surface had been 'switched' to a used pitch, instead of a fresh one.
READ MORE
Biggest sixes of Cricket World Cup 2023, including hits from Shreyas Iyer, Glenn Maxwell
Apparently, a fresh centre pitch was to be deployed for the knockout game but the match was moved to a surface that had been utilised earlier in the tournament.

This led to a furore as it was seen as a ploy by hosts India to gain an advantage by playing on a worn-out pitch. A fresh surface at the Wankhede could have helped New Zealand as it provides the most assistance to fast bowlers in the country, especially under lights.
What are the rules regarding pitches?
The ICC's tournament guide for the World Cup states that "the Ground Authority shall be responsible for the selection and preparation of the pitch".
That means the Mumbai Cricket Association had the primary responsibility of preparing the surface, and ensuring it was up to standards for an international match.

What caused controversy is a supposed leaked email from the ICC's independent pitch curator who expressed frustration at the late change of pitch.
However, the ICC issued a statement saying that changing pitches is common practice and that all relevant authorities were aware of it.
India's Virat Kohli celebrates his century in the World Cup semi-final against New Zealand at the Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai on Wednesday, November 15, 2023. AP's Virat Kohli celebrates his century in the World Cup semi-final against New Zealand at the Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai on Wednesday, November 15, 2023. AP

Virat Kohli completed his 50th ODI century against New Zealand in Mumbai on Wednesday. AFP

Virat Kohli hit his 50th ODI century as India posted 397-4 against New Zealand at the Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai. AFP

India's Mohammed Shami celebrates the wicket of New Zealand's Daryl Mitchell. AP's Mohammed Shami celebrates the wicket of New Zealand's Daryl Mitchell. AP

New Zealand's Daryl Mitchell celebrates his century. AP 's Daryl Mitchell celebrates his century. AP

India's Jasprit Bumrah celebrates the wicket of New Zealand's Glenn Phillips, right. AP's Jasprit Bumrah celebrates the wicket of New Zealand's Glenn Phillips, right. AP

India's captain Rohit Sharma celebrates with teammate Mohammed Shami after the dismissal of New Zealand's Tom Latham. AFP's captain Rohit Sharma celebrates with teammate Mohammed Shami after the dismissal of New Zealand's Tom Latham. AFP

New Zealand's Daryl Mitchell plays a shot. AFP's Daryl Mitchell plays a shot. AFP

Fans cheer as Virat Kohli walks back to the pavilion. Reuters

Virat Kohli, second left, is greeted by teammates in the dressing room. AP

New Zealand's Kane Williamson congratulates Virat Kohli for his record breaking 50th ODI century. Reuters's Kane Williamson congratulates Virat Kohli for his record breaking 50th ODI century. Reuters

Shreyas Iyer, centre, also scored a brilliant century in Mumbai. AFP

India's Virat Kohli celebrates after his 50th century. Reuters's Virat Kohli celebrates after his 50th century. Reuters

Rohit Sharma of India hits out. Getty Images

Kane Williamson of New Zealand catches out Rohit Sharma of India. Getty Images

"Changes to planned pitch rotations are common towards the end of an event of this length, and has already happened a couple of times," an ICC spokesperson said.
"This change was made on the recommendation of the venue curator in conjunction with our host. The ICC independent pitch consultant was apprised of the change and has no reason to believe the pitch won't play well."

As it turned out, the pitch produced a high-scoring match where more than 700 runs were scored, pacer Shami picked up a seven-wicket haul and three centuries were hit.
Since there is no stipulation on providing a fresh surface for knockout matches, there is a chance of a 'used' wicket being chosen for the final in Ahmedabad on Sunday as well.
According to ESPNCricinfo, the semi-finals of the last ODI World Cup in 2019 in England were played on fresh wickets.
What do the players say?
Former England captain Michael Vaughan said having fresh surfaces in a knockout match should be the standard practice.
"A World Cup semi should be played on a fresh pitch ... It’s as simple as that," he posted on X, formerly Twitter.
His sentiment was echoed by former Australia batsman Darren Lehmann.
Australia captain Pat Cummins, however, said he had faith in ICC's pitch preparation process.
"Yeah, I saw that [pitch selection report] ... obviously ICC have an independent pitch curator who manages that so I'm sure they are all over making sure it's fair for both teams," Cummins said.
"So far this tournament [on pitches] that we've played on, I've not seen any issue."
Updated: November 16, 2023, 8:22 PM
Look at the name of the reporter and that should tell you something about this article's objectivity, mate. Yes, venue ground staff are responsible for preparing pitches, but they are also obligated to do it in consultation with the independent ICC curator and keep them abreast of all changes. The independent ICC curator expressed his frustrations about not being consulted in advance of the change and of the late decision to make the change. Yes, the ICC came out and backed the ground staff on this.... but there is a perception out there that the ICC is under the thumb of the BCCI due to the amount of money they pump into the game and backed down to appease their paymasters. You've got to admit, mate, the Independent Curator expressing his frustrations about how it all played out is going to raise plenty of eyebrows.

Anyway, I don't want to go on about it. I think India played incredible cricket throughout the tournament and don't mean to take away from that. But I don't think procedure was followed 100 per cent correctly here. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, maybe it was just a case of miscommunication, and not intent.

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Final game? yes

The Cup ? No
Yes to everything they didn’t deserve to win the cup. Ever since 1975 the cricket World Cup has had a final between two teams some games are classics and others are one sided. Australia was ready and had plans. India was too arrogant and thought their plan just be a doctored pitch. So India didn’t deserve anything except the thrashing they copped. Just the reaction of Kohli when Cummins got him priceless looming to square leg umpire it was like he wanted to review it. India deserved what they got.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yes to everything they didn’t deserve to win the cup. Ever since 1975 the cricket World Cup has had a final between two teams some games are classics and others are one sided. Australia was ready and had plans. India was too arrogant and thought their plan just be a doctored pitch. So India didn’t deserve anything except the thrashing they copped. Just the reaction of Kohli when Cummins got him priceless looming to square leg umpire it was like he wanted to review it. India deserved what they got.
lol @ the doctored pitch.

India had a bad at he office and happened to be the Final of the WC but India was the best team in the comp and also the current no.1 in the test, ODI and T20 ranking.

India deserved to win the WC just based on the above.

agree to disagree.

Kung fu man

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol @ the doctored pitch.

India had a bad at he office and happened to be the Final of the WC but India was the best team in the comp and also the current no.1 in the test, ODI and T20 ranking.

India deserved to win the WC just based on the above.

agree to disagree.
You got all 3 wrong well done!

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
On paper our team was easily a match for Lossdias, don't really get the hype that they were that much better.

In a ten match series I would back Australia to win 5-6 games against Lossdia.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone is interested but I'm in a discord group where we bet on alternative sports. Let me know if you want to join.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Yes he was flummoxed lol and looked for a moment that he was contemplating reviewing ...and then going thru his mind ...possibly protesting to the Ump that he wasn't ready: the naughty bowler tricked him lol

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes he was flummoxed lol and looked for a moment that he was contemplating reviewing ...and then going thru his mind ...possibly protesting to the Ump that he wasn't ready: the naughty bowler tricked him lol
There was a Test match India v England where Jack Leech got him middle stump and he refused to walk. Kohli was saying I'm bigger than WG Grace.

Always bait an Indian on Bradman it sends them into a fit of rage.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
There was a Test match India v England where Jack Leech got him middle stump and he refused to walk. Kohli was saying I'm bigger than WG Grace.

Always bait an Indian on Bradman it sends them into a fit of rage.
As you know: I'm not into baiting :grinning:

But love the witty one liners and humour on TK...we need more of it :grinning:

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I am sure a lot of accounts on this thread and also kennel with IP addresses from Karachi and Lahore .

@rainman is definitely one .

Kung fu man

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

View attachment 95481

View attachment 95482

View attachment 95483
Test one is dated July and we have now won the one off against India to decide the top ranked test side it was straight after the ashes in England also you just lost the 50 over ranking to us by choking in the World Cup final im pretty sure

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Test one is dated July and we have now won the one off against India to decide the top ranked test side it was straight after the ashes in England also you just lost the 50 over ranking to us by choking in the World Cup final im pretty sure

Ignorance is bliss

I provided you with the link to check for yourself the “latest” rankings.

You are still arguing.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
We don't play for rankings.

Australia plays for trophies.

And we got the trophies :grinning:
That was not the point of argument.

India didn’t deserve to lose the WC as they are currently ranked number 1 in every format and made every country their bitches .