Cowboys half Tom Duffy rules out Bulldogs defection

Harry Oz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
A 19 year old with no plans to leave Townsville?
He'll be a Bulldog before he's 22.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He looks very talented. Will be interesting to see how he handles Q Cup.. He says he won't leave now, but a lot can change in a year or two and if he's still blocked for a FG spot or gets offered a decent deal to leave, then I'm sure he'll change his tune pretty quickly.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
He looks very talented. Will be interesting to see how he handles Q Cup.. He says he won't leave now, but a lot can change in a year or two and if he's still blocked for a FG spot or gets offered a decent deal to leave, then I'm sure he'll change his tune pretty quickly.
He’s blocked until 2025. Townsends deal finishes at the end of 2024. Plus he might be blocked even more if that highly rated Tom Chester kills at FB which moves Drinkwater and Deardan into the halves which makes sense for Chester.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
A little presumptuous to think he is Bulldogs material . . . Another player with buzz on commission ??

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah we've heard it countless times about kids wanting to be a (insert club name) for life. SBW wanted to captain out club next minute he's off to France. All the Broncos kids say that...

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Loyalty lasts as long as a player is progressing. If he's not going to move up through the grades, he'll eventually start looking elsewhere. Burton was probably planning to stay with Penrith until it became clear he's only going to play as a backup. If Gould is already planting the seeds in Duffy's mind it's not a bad thing. At the same time I also hope we can bring a quality junior through.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
HAHA so he knocked down a genuine first grade pathway into the 7 just to be behind Townsend for another two seasons and then be behind Deardan/Drinkwater with Tom Chester at FB. LOL Good luck with that chump
He will be their first choice half in 2-3 years.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He’s blocked until 2025. Townsends deal finishes at the end of 2024. Plus he might be blocked even more if that highly rated Tom Chester kills at FB which moves Drinkwater and Deardan into the halves which makes sense for Chester.
If he is as good as they say then they will make room for him and release players early.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
HAHA so he knocked down a genuine first grade pathway into the 7 just to be behind Townsend for another two seasons and then be behind Deardan/Drinkwater with Tom Chester at FB. LOL Good luck with that chump
If you grew up up here and supported the cowboys, i highly doubt you would want to move to sydney. Agreed @maroondog72 ??

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I doubt we were even interested.

When you are stuck behind Dearden and Townsend, you can't be all that good, as neither really set the world on fire as halves partners.
I can understand that he follows the team, and he wants to remain at home. He's young, and thinks the world is opening up for him if he just stays where he is.

When he gets a bit older and realises that opportunity lies elsewhere, he will defect to chase the dollars.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
If you grew up up here and supported the cowboys, i highly doubt you would want to move to sydney. Agreed @maroondog72 ??
So the Cowboys know this (because you just blabbed about it to the media) and will only you offer you $150k a season because they know you are locked in. The Tigers offer you $800k (because they always overpay) and you say nope, staying with the Cowboys, I don't think so. Extreme examples for sure but at some point the money differential is too great and your manager/parents/agent tell you your are an effwhit not to take it.

Loyalty has a price and I respect loyalty, but there is a limit.

Always a Bulldog