Constructive Critisism On Pay's Coaching So Far

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Sezer also smashed morris. Never thought sezer had defense issues, always thought they were application and attitude. He has one of the best kicking games going around and would compliment Foran well. We need a steady head like that at the very least to mentor JMK / Cogger.
We should have signed him in 2016 when he wanted to come back to Canterbury!!
I have been consistent with this view.
Plus he was prepared to play for peanuts for a halfback (i.e. $350k).
Des said no???

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A problem that might plague or hamper Pay's progress as coach could be the carnage of all the board fighting during the off season . It might be more disruptive than first thought. And it's still going on.
On paper our team are an upgrade than last year. Our spine is more potent and definitely have improvement in them.
The seasoned club players we have with perhaps the exception of jmoz seemed not too focused.
Pay has hovered around quality coaches long enough to know what an nrl standard is. He should be hardened by now to motivate a roster regardless if he built it or not.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to see dean pay see his contract out,at the moment he needs to make some changes,he has some promising young players,which I would like to see him give a go,unfortunately some of the players have been there to long,and are braindead,our development plan went down the gurglar,when mark Hughes was shown the door,.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I want to know what went wrong between the last 3 games of last season and the start of this season..

Ill tell you what went wrong, too much structure..

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Having watched the games today where last years more fancied teams all lost I asked myself what is so different of them to us. Look there is some huge differences but the one that we are missing that will make us hit above our weight like the others is BELIEF. Our team looks like they have absolutely no belief in themselves, their team mates nor the coach. This needs to be addressed. One contributing factor could have been the fact that after such a huge change up we walk straight into the top 2 teams of last year in games 1 & 2......BANG!

Des fuked us so bad that I look at all the other clubs with young up and coming players who are amazing and then look at ours.....tumbleweeds. I honestly believe that Lewis needs to be given a shot at 5/8. JMK is going fine and he is tough but I wanted Lewis before JMK and that hasn't changed. We need a spark and we aren't going to get it from Des's cattle.

mr j

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Since 2004 we have had a history of letting go of top young talent with a blatant disregard for the future (Imagine we kept Thurston, Luke, Tapau to name just a few).

The amount of player combinations we have gone through over the last few years in key positions has stunned our development as a team. We have had so many players play in multiple positions that they can’t settle into one role - remember Mbye playing hooker in a GF. How can we expect players to perform at the elite level when they keep being moved around. It’s more hope than planning.

I’m also a fan of AFL (go the Hawks) and it was interesting what Alastair Clarkson spoke of last week. He mentioned how it’s hard to stay up the top for a sustained period of time due to the salary cap (it’s what it’s there for, to give every team an opportunity to have success). He spoke of always having one eye on next week, one eye on next year and two eyes on 3-5 years time and to remain competitive hard decisions need to be made.

Hawks traded 3 legends for the betterment of long term success which was not thought highly of at the time by fans.

You live by the sword or die by it and a majority of the dogs recruitment has turned to crap. Recruitment has been very poor for a long period of time. Supported by the our so called “centre of excellence”, I just can’t comprehend why so many players underachieve and it all comes down to the players we have brought in supported by the lack of coaching too.

We have players in the lower grades that can’t make the step up. Reimis Smith made his debut two years ago and can’t crack first grade. We just have too many plodders taking up list positions that don’t put pressure on the first grade team to perform (as they obviously won’t be dropped).

We can’t fast track our way out of this. We need to take a leaf out what the Knights have done. Their squad has so much talent (with another addition next year touted to be the next big thing) which will make them highly competitive. But remember it took them a few years of pain to get them where they are now with a few wooden spoons in a row. That’s the precarious stage Dogs are about to enter.

The club from top to bottom need to take responsibility of where we are at now. Tired of excuses, just want some clarity on what will happen to turn this around ASAP. Gonna be some long seasons ahead.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
As I've already said, we haven't hit rock bottom yet, so be prepared for a few more poor performances. Eventually they will be humiliated enough to have a go, and they'll find that they actually have what it takes - they just have to discover it for themselves. This year is a write-off. I was confident we could improve on 2017, but I was wrong. Maybe 2019.
Yep, I was wrong as well. I thought we’d improve on last year. If we finish 11th I’d be rapped

Mike_B

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Attack is the best form of defence....................
Tigers are winning on the back of their defence.

They are defending with heart. Unless the dogs start doing the same we’ll finish dead set last.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
One thing I wouldn't mind seeing from Pay is to perhaps make Foran co-captain with Jackson. This might give Foran more confidence and responsibility in dictating our attack and take a bit of pressure off Jackson who hasn't been playing well since becoming captain. While Foran has played well in patches, he seems to lack confidence and he is not doing as much talking and organizing as I was expecting when we signed him.
Forans biggest problem is his body the desire and will is there but his body is shot much like JT and sides are running a lot of traffic at both of them

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Tigers are winning on the back of their defence.

They are defending with heart. Unless the dogs start doing the same we’ll finish dead set last.
Yes we are not defending great atm .. I still think we have the worst value for money team in the comp..

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Mbye at FB and the confidence to give a young bloke like JMK a crack in FG.

Never would happen on Haslers watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.