Congrats JT on making the 300 games club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
NRL grand final: Watch Johnathan Thurston’s reaction after the Bulldogs' 2004 premiership

Thurston gave his premiership ring to Steve Price.
BEFORE the Dally M Medals, before the State of Origin jerseys, even before the Cowboys, Johnathan Thurston was a skinny kid who came off the bench for the Bulldogs.

An injury to captain Steve Price in the preliminary final win over Penrith opened a spot in the team for the 2004 NRL grand final, and coach Steve Folkes opted to bring in the then 21-year-old Thurston.

With just 28 matches under his belt at the time, Thurston played a part in the Bulldogs’ 16-13 win over the Sydney Roosters.

In a wonderful gesture, Thurston opted to give his premiership ring to Price after the match.

And it’s fair to say that after the grand final triumph, JT was a little fired up.

Thurston came off the bench during the Bulldogs win over the Roosters.

The 2004 season was something of a rollercoaster for Thurston, with a broken leg in the early rounds halting his momentum after he had started the year as the first-choice five-eighth, with Braith Anasta shifting to the forwards.

Thurston scored two tries in the Bulldogs’ 48-14 smashing of Parramatta in the season opener — a match which doubled as the first-grade debut of Sonny Bill Williams — before succumbing to injury in Round 5.

Thurston gave his premiership ring to Steve Price.
He returned in Round 26 and ably stepped in at five-eighth in the Dogs’ 43-18 win over Melbourne in week two of the finals after Braith Anasta was out with a sternum injury.

Often forgotten in the shadow of his glittering career with the Cowboys, Thurston showed flashes of his immense ability from his 2002 debut, playing 29 matches and scoring 10 tries before joining the Cowboys for season 2005.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In tonight’s game, the on field announcer asked the crowd for three cheers after Thurston’s finished his speech! I found that disrespectful, he should have asked for 300!

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Love the bloke and wish him all the best but man he looks ragged.
Great Queenslander and arguably the greatest half back of all time.
And like most on the kennel I wish he had stayed here

Dog Till I Die

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Much as I hate to say,
WE let him go.
Kept Anasta - the rest is history.
Still keep thinking what may have been....

Precise

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The sad thing is we've had all the other positions covered so well in the last 10 years we should of had a dynasty with him in the halves.

What could of been aye, brings a tear to the eye. Glad he's never forgotten who gave him that crack but.

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
He left 14 years ago, i think we can allow ourselves to move by now.

Lil Ms Fabulous

Is Trollin
Reaction score
Not when the local paper bring this up every frigging time both teams face each other....

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The sad thing is we've had all the other positions covered so well in the last 10 years we should of had a dynasty with him in the halves.

What could of been aye, brings a tear to the eye. Glad he's never forgotten who gave him that crack but.
I was thinking that exact thing after watching the game tonight.. We’ve always had a good crack at the comp except the past couple of years.. If we had Thurston he would have won a heap more championship rings..

Shame the Dogs went to Coffs, cost us more than we will ever know..

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He would have been our Tom Brady...Hasler would’ve been lauded as a genius coach...oh how different things would’ve been!

Regardless, great that he fulfilled his potential.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Much as I hate to say,
WE let him go.
Kept Anasta - the rest is history.
Still keep thinking what may have been....
My memory at the time was the club tried to move Anasta but he wouldn't budge, only to leave one season later.

I was at the 2004 grand final and there was mixed feelings about Thurston leaving.

Status
Not open for further replies.